Australians down under

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAPpy said:
I just made up a 15A female and 10A male lead to charge ours with no issue on the not used much circuit in the garage. I also made up a 5 pin 415v 32A to 240V 15A lead for those times when that is all you have to charge from.

Cheers

NAPpy

If I were you, I wouldn't declare this information so openly. It might get you in a lot of trouble.

Nice warning. No idea if it makes sense, but if it does it would be best not to quote NAPpy. If he agrees with you, he can change his contribution, but he cannot remove his statement from you reply :geek:

Nothing wrong in what I have done, house circuit is 16 amp but fitted with 10 amp outlets for some strange reason. 32 amp outlet adapter is just using one phase of the 415 volt plug to give 240 volt but still earthed.

Charger for the PHEV draws just under 10 amps, I think 9.8 as someone has previously posted.

Bring it on!

Cheers

NAPpy

Yep, less than 10A.

Hey, if you have a look at the new Outlander (non PHEV) on the Australian website, I note that you can now get the MMCS with DAB digital radio! I wonder if there will be an upgrade option for PHEV owners? That was one of the gripes that I had when buying the Outlander PHEV as the top end Prius and Camry Hybrid models have it.

zzcoopej said:
Just thought I'd say hi.
I have a 2010 iMiEV and 2015 PHEV.
Couldn't resist the cheap prices for EV's in Oz at the moment, I guess due to the lower fuel price and the new Outlander coming out later this year.

How is the iMiEV? What are your thoughts? I was driving the PHEV last weekend in Brisbane and passed a blue iMiEV and a blue Leaf all within 100m of each other. (My car is blue as well!). I have half got my wife interested in a Leaf but it may not happen for another year or two. I also agree that prices are cheap here for EVs at the moment. Aussies are such rev heads and stingy.

sawman82 said:
Hey, if you have a look at the new Outlander (non PHEV) on the Australian website, I note that you can now get the MMCS with DAB digital radio! I wonder if there will be an upgrade option for PHEV owners? That was one of the gripes that I had when buying the Outlander PHEV as the top end Prius and Camry Hybrid models have it.

My UK spec Phev has DAB as standard, and I thought that would be the norm for all markets? Obviously not.

sawman82 said:
How is the iMiEV? What are your thoughts?

The combination of the PHEV & iMiEV are about perfect for our situation (family of 4). One downside is 2 remotes that are almost identical, however I mostly use the door button to lock/unlock so the remote just stays in my pocket. A Leaf might be perfect as it has a bit more range, however we only need >100km every couple of months and it simply involves the occasional top-up charge at home during the day, hardly worth $15k extra in our circumstances. Just means the topup is @22c/kWh rather than 9c off peak.

The iMiEV is very simple compared to the PHEV, both from not having an ICE, and also things like the screen is just radio/nav as it doesn't have any connection to the car's drive computers. Fortunately a OBD dongle and CanIon software allow us to see what's going on inside and get Wh/km etc.

One thing on the iMiEV that should have been transferred onto the PHEV is the ECO mode "lumpy throttle" to stop the ICE kicking in so easily when you are trying to do the trip on EV only.

By the way, my PHEV has a bug calculating kWh/100km, its hopelessly wrong most of the time (eg MMCS reports the manual average is about 7kWh/100km when it should be around 20). Has anyone found that is fixed with an upgrade or something?

zzcoopej said:
By the way, my PHEV has a bug calculating kWh/100km, its hopelessly wrong most of the time (eg MMCS reports the manual average is about 7kWh/100km when it should be around 20). Has anyone found that is fixed with an upgrade or something?

The MMCS has bugs galore in the calculation department. The ICE operation seems to be a major contributor.

I feel that the attempts to perform calculations with simultaneous data from multiple power systems has screwed things up. The car would be better to only display EV data in pure EV mode. Don't think there is a simple solution to calcs with simultaneous EV and ICE operation.

Unfortunately the Australian government didn't fully commit (or mandate) to a DAB rollout so not many manufacturers jumped on board. Sad really.

Thanks for all the info on the iMiEV. Sounds like a really cool little unit. I hope they are still around by the time my wife will let me buy here one! I totally agree on the bugs in the MMCS. My wife is always asking me what those figures mean and I can't even explain it to her because they keep jumping around too much. I also agree that the unknown variable (ICE kickin) is to blame.

Would be nice if it could display the charging cost graphs properly. A lot of the features are just too hard to get to and I always forget how to find them. Should I push the "Settings", "Nav", etc button...... where the heck is that thing I'm looking for. Then you end up finding it by pushing random things on the map or display. Then by the next time you need it you have forgotten again!

The difficulty with navigating the MMCS defeats the purpose of disabling most of it when the car is moving. We humans are inquisitive and will continue to push and prod buttons, even if it means taking our eyes off the road to keep pressing a button that is disabled.. Far better to just provide a logical system that works intuitively so that task does not interfere with driving the car.

gwatpe said:
The difficulty with navigating the MMCS defeats the purpose of disabling most of it when the car is moving.

Well at least its a step up from the iMiEV. Agree the disabled parts are totally annoying and everyone thinks the menu structure is rediculous, but to me the lack of a traditional "trip computer" is really puzzling, how easy would it be to have the km, kWh, L/100km etc from the last 10 trips? I find the graphs are almost useless. I have my charge cost set to $9 instead of 9c and at least that seems to make that graph work, but the others are meaningless and I'm a big fan of graphs usually.
I've seen the iMiEV head unit in other vehicles eg Toyota so my feeling is that the software is almost definitely built by a 3rd party and the usefulness probably gets lost either in the translation or in making the MMCS "generic" (or adapting it from a generic base).

I have heard of other users chopping a few zeros off to make the graphs more realistic. I think I might have to do that on mine as well.

It is a shame the iMiEV doesn't display as much info as the PHEV does. Because I'm sure most people that buy them are early adopters who are interested in the technology and this data.

zzcoopej said:
gwatpe said:
The difficulty with navigating the MMCS defeats the purpose of disabling most of it when the car is moving.

Well at least its a step up from the iMiEV. Agree the disabled parts are totally annoying and everyone thinks the menu structure is rediculous, but to me the lack of a traditional "trip computer" is really puzzling, how easy would it be to have the km, kWh, L/100km etc from the last 10 trips? I find the graphs are almost useless. I have my charge cost set to $9 instead of 9c and at least that seems to make that graph work, but the others are meaningless and I'm a big fan of graphs usually.
I've seen the iMiEV head unit in other vehicles eg Toyota so my feeling is that the software is almost definitely built by a 3rd party and the usefulness probably gets lost either in the translation or in making the MMCS "generic" (or adapting it from a generic base).

What a good idea, I'll increase the unit cost so it actually shows on the graph and compar that with the one I have fitted to the charger.

But 9c/kWh :eek: :eek: Our grid charge is 27c/kWh over in the west, of course, when we charge during the day it is free due to the PV setup.

Cheers

The Y-axis of the Charge Cost graph was originally setup for Yen, and unfortunately, it doesn't automatically scale when you configure it for more valuable currencies. So, you had to input a very high cost per kWh, like €10 per kWh (IIRC) before it would become noticeable on the graph.

But if I am not mistaken this was fixed by an SW update to MMCS. Need to check :oops:

NAPpy said:
But 9c/kWh :eek: :eek: Our grid charge is 27c/kWh over in the west, of course, when we charge during the day it is free due to the PV setup.

Cheers

27c is not too bad, I would need to pay 53c if I wanted to charge the car 2-8pm weekdays however we can fortunately avoid that. I only get 9c as I'm on TOU and charge via timer overnight. I know of some people who charge using the off-peak hot water tariff here in NSW with the power companies written approval, is that not possible in WA?

zzcoopej said:
anko said:
fixed by an SW update to MMCS. Need to check :oops:

Can the MMCS be updated without going to the dealer? Is there a list of version numbers or something so I can check that as I've googled and can't find any info.

I complained to my dealer a year ago and there were no MMCS updates then. The last service, 15000 had no updates to MMCS but have found that there is an update available for the GPS maps and there have been a few phone app updates.

Will be requesting the new GPS file next week, so will again ask about the charge costs.

BTW I just set the cost to read kWh x 10, ie 10.00 gives sort of meaningful graphs. any changes to the cost applies only for new data. Old data is still not readable on the graphs. Quite easy to compare kWh on the car to an external meter.

[quote/] 27c is not too bad, I would need to pay 53c if I wanted to charge the car 2-8pm weekdays however we can fortunately avoid that. I only get 9c as I'm on TOU and charge via timer overnight. I know of some people who charge using the off-peak hot water tariff here in NSW with the power companies written approval, is that not possible in WA?[/quote]

We are able to connect to the Pool Pump Tariff here in QLD, so we are paying 20c /kWh & have power for about 18 hours / day

sawman82 said:
Yep, less than 10A.

I asked Mitsubishi about that, they said it was an entirely new MMCS not a software update. I call BS on that as the UK models ship with DAB+ and have done for some time.

We love our PHEV Aspire but it's not been trouble free in fact its been back to the dealer no less than 5 times in the first 2 months.
I had trouble with the app, so the dealer updated the software in the car. after that it returned an internal fault code and I could not set the charge timer all. They had another go at fixing it a week later, that only succeeded in stopping the A/C fan from running. All of the above was finally fixed with new main board.

Issue number 2 from the first night we got car we got the "Charge filed due to system malfunction message" randomly.
After 6 days at the dealer and a call (from us) to Mitsubishi in Adelaide, that was resolved with a new part in the charging system (they said it was a rectifier, but after us calling Mitsubishi in Adelaide to "Help" them sort it out I think they would have said anything to see us and the PHEV go away)

I would love to know how to get DAB+ running the in MMCS but I don't think our dealer is going to help ;-)

I suspect with the DAB radio that there is a component missing in the MMCS. I have checked menus after my MMCS was upgrades with GPS maps and the DAB radio tab in the radio signal strength check menu, is grey. AUS shipped unit probably don't have a DAB RF tuner installed.

AUS is considered a hot country by MMC, so there are many differences to EU shipped cars, and to add, There is no digital radio where I live, so I would never be able to check for signals. I think Adelaide has some Digital radio, so probably only cities and not regional service, so MMC chose to not supply components in MMCS.

Back