Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does anyone believe the charge costs displayed in the MM
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 am 

anko wrote:
True, you cannot expect 12 kWh to be charged. But, for a healthy battery, 7.747 kWh is not a full charge. You should think in terms of 9 - 9.5 kWh per full charge:

12 kWh * 70% (or a little bit more if you did a bit of city driving on your last power) + 5 % losses in the onboard charger + losses in your charging equipment / cables.

My last full charge checked with a Voltcraft timer-energymeter

Hour kWh
1 2.20
2 2.21
3 1.99
4 2.19
5 0.76

Total 9,34 kWh (the "abnormal" 1.99 kWh in the third hour could be caused by a slight overheating detection ?)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:56 am 

When driving up hill the ice can also kick in with a full battery. Simply exceed 60 kW power demand.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:23 am 

Grigou wrote:
(the "abnormal" 1.99 kWh in the third hour could be caused by a slight overheating detection ?)
I assume it was caused by one of those 'breaks' that occur, about once every full charge. During these breaks, charging is reduced to about 100 watts or so. Samples:

As they can also occur right at the beginning of the charging process, I believe the breaks occur to allow the BMU to balance the cells, rather than because of overheating.

I've seen situations where I was at home for only about 10 to 15 minutes, tried to pick up some extra charge and ended up with virtually nothing due to such a break that happened right at the beginning of charging. I've noticed you can terminate the break by briefly interrupting the charging process, but I don't think that is very healthy to the battery :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:16 pm 

anko wrote:
it was caused by one of those 'breaks' that occur, about once every full charge. During these breaks, charging is reduced to about 100 watts or so.

anko wrote:
I've seen situations where I was at home for only about 10 to 15 minutes, tried to pick up some extra charge and ended up with virtually nothing due to such a break that happened right at the beginning of charging.

That could explain my experience this afternoon.

I arrived home from work with 5 miles remaining EV range shown on the guessometer. I plugged in for a sneaky top-up as I had to nip out again 25 minutes later.

When I did depart again, the guessometer was still only displaying 5 mile EV range, therefore my first thought was that it had not charged at all.
I checked the charge cost display, which indicated about 0.7kWh had gone in. This should have been more like 1.3kWh by my reckoning.

I managed to do my errand run on the remaining EV, but checked my charge meter before plugging in when I got back. After approximately 1hr, the car had taken 3.1kWh, about what I expect.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:39 pm 

Thank you anko, good information ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 pm 

Looks like charge rate is dependent on voltage? Some are seeing around 2kw while others 3kw. Would this be the difference between 110 and 230v?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:45 pm 

kentphev wrote:
Looks like charge rate is dependent on voltage? Some are seeing around 2kw while others 3kw. Would this be the difference between 110 and 230v?

I don't suppose that anyone on here has a 110v supply, as 110V nowadays is limited to the less developed countries like *cough* the USA, and Columbia (to name just two!) :)

Of course, there is a marked difference between the Home charge points (3.3kW), and the supplied brick (2.3 kW).

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:07 am 

Home charge points will go as far as approx. 3.7 kW, or even twice that, same as public charge points (not Chademo). But the OBC (On Board Charger) is limited to 3.3 kW.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:56 am 

How do I check this information, where about is it on MMC?