Disabling PHEV's wifi

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras85

Hello,
I've just unknownly caused a bit of a security breach at work on account of my wifi broadcast. I've checked the manual and app but can't seem to find a 'wifi off' function. Does anyone know of it is possible to disable the wifi? Failing that, which fuse can I pull??

Thanks in advance,

RAS

I can't see how your car's WiFi can cause a security breach?
It's completely self contained, not possible for it to cause any security problems for any other networks.

westdevon said:
It's completely self contained, not possible for it to cause any security problems for any other networks.

Yeap! I tried telling them that but apparently any form of wireless hotspot is against policy (this is classic behaviour from my employer). So I just need to turn off or hide the ssid. Any thoughts?

I've not come across any reference to a way to turn the wireless off that I can recall. I don't think ssid broadcast can be turned off due to the wierd procedure to connect to it. I could be wrong though. Someone else might be able to identify a fuse I suppose. Apparently the aerial is under the trim by the nearside rear quarter window. It might be possible to access the cable and splice in a switch.

Or get a new job :lol:

It might be worth it to see if the paranoid IT dept can access the PHEV through the WiFi. Without help of course. They might then realize there is not much of a problem.

I would just park a bit further away.

BTW I presume no personal phones are allowed, or personal laptops etc.

Ras85 said:
westdevon said:

Yeap! I tried telling them that but apparently any form of wireless hotspot is against policy (this is classic behaviour from my employer). So I just need to turn off or hide the ssid. Any thoughts?
He'll have an increasing number of problems as more and more cars come with WiFi connectivity. A position that cannot be maintained in the near future unless he insists on allowing only Suzuki Altos and similar cars in his parking lot.
There are pacemakers with WiFi connectivity on the market nowadays. What is he going to do about that? King Canute comes to mind...

Ive had a play and it seems as though the wifi module is linked to the 'control unit relay' fuse behind the glove compartment. So I can disable the wifi, but then I cant drive the car! Without ripping apart the interior to splice in a switch the only other option I can think of is to disconnect the auxiliary battery whilst at work...which means I loose all my log data. Looks like I'm screwed!!

I would say if the company imposes a (silly) restriction it is up to the company to facilitate a reasonable solution. If you were to get a confirmation from your dealer that their demand is not implementable?

As we all know, there are / have been issues with stability of phone calls made via BT. These issues seem to go away when the WiFi on the phone is disabled. One time my Dutch dealer asked me if I had any issues and he showed me an official document from the Dutch Mitsu distributor in which temporarily disabling of the Wifi module was presented as a workaround.

So, it must be possible.

jaapv said:
Ras85 said:
westdevon said:

He'll have an increasing number of problems as more and more cars come with WiFi connectivity. A position that cannot be maintained in the near future unless he insists on allowing only Suzuki Altos and similar cars in his parking lot.
There are pacemakers with WiFi connectivity on the market nowadays. What is he going to do about that? King Canute comes to mind...

Any BT Infinity customers nearby whose routers act as line side WiFi hotspots :oops:

I too have had the same issue, so can I ask what you did to make it appear? I did have it until it went in for the recall, and then afterwards it disappeared... there’s no more heated timings anywhere in the menus...

I too have been through most of the settings but to no avail... PLEASE help - it’s gettign cold here now and I want the remote heating set up!

thegurio said:
can I ask what you did to make it appear? I did have it until it went in for the recall, and then afterwards it disappeared
If you think it was a dealer action, go back to them and have them show you how to get it back.
I'm having a 2018, so not sure it would be at the same spot...

In my case, the dealer replaced the "Remote Module" and all the timer settings returned.

At the time, I thought that the service had damaged the module.

Now, I'm suspicious that the problem is that the module did not match the software installed during the upgrade.

Either way, it took a while for the new unit to be shipped from Japan.

thegurio said:
I too have had the same issue, so can I ask what you did to make it appear? I did have it until it went in for the recall, and then afterwards it disappeared... there’s no more heated timings anywhere in the menus...

I too have been through most of the settings but to no avail... PLEASE help - it’s gettign cold here now and I want the remote heating set up!

I had same issue after a service on my old PHEV

I took the car back to dealer, and they fixed this in 2h time.

I believe they did all at firmware or MUT-3 level.

After this they did provide me also the WiFi password which I did not had before

I'm dredging this up from memory, but someone on the UK PHEV Facebook group had a similar problem. The garage failed to resolve the issue for quite a while and it turned out that they had upgraded the software on one unit but not on another and the 2 couldn't talk to eachother. Sorry to be so vague! :oops:

Ras85 said:
Hello,
I've just unknownly caused a bit of a security breach at work on account of my wifi broadcast. I've checked the manual and app but can't seem to find a 'wifi off' function. Does anyone know of it is possible to disable the wifi? Failing that, which fuse can I pull??

Thanks in advance,

RAS

Hey Man,

I haven't tested myself but it looks like this guys found that the WiFi turns itself off after loosing registration to all and any phones\tablets that where connected to it. Here is their article:

https://outlookseries.com/A0981/Security/3043_Hacking_Mitsubishi_Outlander_PHEV_hybrid.htm

Short term fix
Unpair all mobile devices that have been connected to the car access point.

First, go to the car and connect your mobile phone to the access point on the car. Then, using the app, go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘Cancel VIN Registration’:

Once all paired devices are unpaired, the Wi-Fi module will effectively go to sleep. It cannot be powered up again until the car key remote is pressed ten times. A nice security feature.

Hi, the previous on unpairing worked for me.
As the reach of the car’s WiFi is very limited, thus not working for me and the phone reconnecting to the car when in reach (though I wanted to be on the home network),
I just canceled the VIN from the app.
Problem solved, car no longer visible on the phone.

I just knew that this was the only registration, as It had a reset after software updates.

Back