Type 1 extension

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Hi all,

I have been using an extension lead, standard uk 13 amp and it works but I a, aware of the warnings..

I have recently found the below

https://evcables.co.uk/evcables/j1772-type-1-extension-cable/#prettyPhoto

Does anyone have any experience with this type of extension? Does it work?

Looking at it, it feels like it maybe a safer option than using the 13 amp leads as the brick is back at the core socket rather than down an extension lead.

I would be interested in this as well as I have a 32Amp car charger (I know it'll only charge at 16Amps) but I need to pretty much park the Outlander in my neighbours lawn for the lead to reach.

This'd mean I could move the charger that comes with the car back into the boot ...

greendwarf said:
Would also help with the situation where there is a n0n-charging car in the EV bay ;)

Ah yes!

Or a PHEV :lol: Er did I say that out loud? ;)

Got an email reply almost straight away last night and will clarify a few points before ordering.

How was the reply solar?

Anything you can share.

Agree about the extension being useful for a number of reasons.

I guess my biggest concern.... How do we know it will work or that the company is reputable.

Has anyone purchase anything from this company before...?

Scouse said:
How was the reply solar?

Anything you can share.

Agree about the extension being useful for a number of reasons.

I guess my biggest concern.... How do we know it will work or that the company is reputable.

Has anyone purchase anything from this company before...?

If it doesn't work then I'll get a refund via my credit card!

Have asked for a quote for a black 5m 32AMP extension.

I bought a 5 metre Type 2 to Type 1 cable from their eBay site as it included the storage bag which their website didn't. Cable was despatched quickly and communication was good.

Hey Bladevane,

Thanks for the update. How was the cable quality?

Are you happy with it?

It's a lot of ££££s to part with so I'm being over cautious.

Scouse, Cable and plugs were of Chinese origin, which was somehow expected. I have had the cable for nearly 2 months and all works fine. No issues and lead seems well made. Its only passing 16 amps max. though so well within its limit.

The cable I want (black) is out of stock, I am waiting for a response on ETA of availability.

The 'green' is too bright and will elicit unwanted interest ...

My friend now has one of these cables and is testing on his car.

He reports it is working fine.

Not sure if there is a warranty impact, hence not me doing it. My friend is.

I assume you mean a 32A charging cable.

Apologies if you already know this, but there are 2 main types of socket for charging at lower power: type 1 and type 2. Most (?all) chargers have a type 2 socket on them (assuming you're in the UK). The PHEV has a type 1 socket, so you need a type 1 to type 2 cable to charge it.

The PHEV will only ever charge at a maximum of 3.6kW (16A for the UK). A 32A cable will not be a problem, it's just overkill. That said, I did buy a 32A cable as they are slightly more robust and I thought it might be useful in the future. But I think the PHEV is the only vehicle now on sale in the UK that still has a type 1 socket, so not much call for a 32A cable nowadays

Back