Petrol only mpg

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nellv

I've had my outlander g4h now for 2 weeks.

I'm due to have a charging point installed in a few weeks time, so I've not actually been able to charge yet as I can't get the car within 5 metres of a power point at the moment, and too afraid to use an extension cord.

I'm using the car on petrol only, and on a mix of both motorway and town driving I'm only achieving a MPG of under 20pmg. Is this right? Please somebody tell me I'm going to see a vast improvement once I can charge regularly!

It's about what I get in town on petrol only.

Last night, zero charge, snowing, frozen screen, drove to the shops, I managed 6.4 mpg. (had heater, stereo, heated seats and steering wheel on)

Gosh! That isn't very good. What motorway speeds are you doing? is your 'CHARGE' button switched ON? If so switch it OFF. Turn the heater off and use the leccy seats to warm up. Press 'ECO' as well as that will diminish exuberant acceleration and slow down the A/C , which won't come on if the heater is OFF. click the right hand paddle 'til 0 shows on the centre readout and use the coasting ability of the car.
On the 'TRIP' screen (the one showing MPG Miles per KW & total range etc) press button at the bottom left of the screen. This will give you a 'forever' MPG if it is showing 'MANUAL" that is trip only and will reset itself after about 4 hours. So press "MANUAL" and that will then show "AUTO" in that mode it will be the MPG since it was last manually zeroed.
Don't trust the total available range. PHEV has a small tank! I last bought petrol over a month ago! I charge up about every other day and am showing 73mpg after resetting the meter last time I filled up.(petrol)
I use only a 13amp plug for charging, which suits me fine and a waterproof socket cost me £12. I drilled a hole in the wall of the house and it's fine. Never taken over 5 hours from dead flat. (so saying it never actually goes dead flat. There is always enough voltage retained to start the I.C.E.
Lastly.....don't panic. I bought mine in November and have only just sussed everything out. I am getting about 34-36mpg round town.

You should be able to do a fair bit better than 20mpg. Ours is effectively driven as a petrol car due to pattern of usage even though we do have a charging point - my weekday use is pure EV but probably less than 20 miles per week while my weekend use is around 250 miles which is done with no charging capability - and hence drowns out the EV use. We have a lifetime average fuel consumption of about 44mpg.

Repeated short journeys are the best case scenario for EV use and the worst case for petrol use - the engine starts and never gets the opportunity to properly warm up or get any reserve charge into the battery. I just got back from a short trip - perhaps four miles - on a flat battery - and it was showing about 20mpg at the end. If I had driven 30 miles, that would have been showing closer to 40mpg.

Fuel consumption is also very dependent on speed - drive it as a petrol car at 40mph and it will return 45mpg, possibly a bit better. Drive it at 80mph and you'll be dipping down to 30mpg...

I find a more relaxed driving style helps - even in petrol mode coasting in B0 will help as the engine will shut down if left long enough. So be prepared not to keep at a set speed and allow the speed to tail off before hitting the gas again to wake up the engine. However, I also find using the cruise control more economical than my right foot on motorways. :?

greendwarf said:
I find a more relaxed driving style helps - even in petrol mode coasting in B0 will help as the engine will shut down if left long enough. So be prepared not to keep at a set speed and allow the speed to tail off before hitting the gas again to wake up the engine. However, I also find using the cruise control more economical than my right foot on motorways. :?

Food for thought.....I did a 80 mile each way trip a few days ago and managed to get a 13 amp refuel overnight before my return. This trip is probably about 80% motorway.

On the way 'down' I decided to use the cruise control and set it at the breakneck speed of 60 mph (a rather more stunning 96 for our Continental readers).

As an aside I read most of the threads on here and noted a graph from Anko recently in response to a question (I think) about the 'sweet spot for engine rpm re charging and so on. It appeared to me that the 'sweet spot' was pretty much in the area that motor manufacturers for many decades have known was the most efficient speed for a car, namely precisely 56 mph (89.6 kph) and that, going back decades, was the speed at which the best achievable fuel consumption was achieved.

Assuming that the laws of physics haven't changed a lot recently imagine that Mitsu decided to pitch the PHEV's most efficient charging rpm at that which it might be turning at if engaged to the front wheels at precisely 56 mph (my vivid imagination has been marvelled at for eons!)

With this fiction firmly set in my mind that is the reason I set 60mph on the CC (speedo exaggeration + ease of setting = close enough!)

On this trip on the M1 we enjoy a fairly long 50mph section (both ways).

Anyway, whilst actually using the CC and after we had become a petrol car (not long - 12 miles then save engaged- in the current temperatures) I was getting a bit depressed watching the fuel consumption heading steadily south and started trying to play with the brake paddles. You learn something new with this thing nearly every day and I don't know why it surprised me to note that whilst the CC is engaged you can't select B1or B0 (I know...but it took me a couple of seconds to figure out why).

I disengaged the CC and started managing the energy myself (including using regen braking) and the fuel consumption stabilised and occasionally increased to 50 mpg and slightly above. I had engaged 'save' with 5 miles range left.

Had a couple of local jobs to do after arrival but before charging and was down to 0 range.

On the way back didn't use CC at all and when we went ICE decided to use 'Charge' as the motor was running anyway and apart from a few overtaking manoeuvres kept pretty much to 60 mph again.

Cancelled 'Charge' when 12 miles range achieved and upwards progress appeared to have slowed, as expected (I'm hopeless at reading the number of bars on the battery icon).

Hit 'Save' again at 5 miles range remaining and removed that when entering our town limits.

Arrived home with a mile or so range remaining and average fuel consumption for the return 55mpg.

I was quite pleased even though there was a steady southerly over the period that would have hindered the first leg and favoured the second. Otherwise the conditions, temperatures and traffic densities were pretty much identical.

In both cases the fuel consumption figures were stable on arrival, in other words they were sustainable over longer journeys.

Unscientific yes, no readouts or graphs, but, as they say, mustn't grumble!

;)

JimB

onlynik said:

Last night, zero charge, snowing, frozen screen, drove to the shops, I managed 6.4 mpg. (had heater, stereo, heated seats and steering wheel on)

Have I don't the conversion right? 6.4mpg = 2.7km/L?

What are you doing, burning it as a liquid fuel rocket to propel you, or using it to pay your sedan chair bearers to carry the car around the snow?

Once my charge is out, I generally get around 16km/L average: More for start/stops and 110km/h zones, and less for smooth 70-80km/h zones.

Sunder said:
onlynik said:

What are you doing, burning it as a liquid fuel rocket to propel you, or using it to pay your sedan chair bearers to carry the car around the snow?

Once my charge is out, I generally get around 16km/L average: More for start/stops and 110km/h zones, and less for smooth 70-80km/h zones.

If I recall correctly, your handle indicates an antipodean location - so none of the energy burning elements used by onlynik in addition to motive power. ;)

Sunder said:
onlynik said:

I assume he is talking about quite a short run. Starting from cold and running a couple of miles to the shops and back, I can easily come in at worse than 10mpg. This improves a lot after the first ten or fifteen miles.

I posted* on 'Battery range' before I read Claymore's. Most interesting I shall run a comparison and report back

*I will also be doing a long round trip(200miles, therefore 178 on hybrid) with no charging facilities on mostly fast A roads. I am not expecting much over 25MPG. We shall see!! :?

Carnut said:
Gosh! That isn't very good. What motorway speeds are you doing? is your 'CHARGE' button switched ON? If so switch it OFF. Turn the heater off and use the leccy seats to warm up. Press 'ECO' as well as that will diminish exuberant acceleration and slow down the A/C , which won't come on if the heater is OFF. click the right hand paddle 'til 0 shows on the centre readout and use the coasting ability of the car.
On the 'TRIP' screen (the one showing MPG Miles per KW & total range etc) press button at the bottom left of the screen. This will give you a 'forever' MPG if it is showing 'MANUAL" that is trip only and will reset itself after about 4 hours. So press "MANUAL" and that will then show "AUTO" in that mode it will be the MPG since it was last manually zeroed.
Don't trust the total available range. PHEV has a small tank! I last bought petrol over a month ago! I charge up about every other day and am showing 73mpg after resetting the meter last time I filled up.(petrol)
I use only a 13amp plug for charging, which suits me fine and a waterproof socket cost me £12. I drilled a hole in the wall of the house and it's fine. Never taken over 5 hours from dead flat. (so saying it never actually goes dead flat. There is always enough voltage retained to start the I.C.E.
Lastly.....don't panic. I bought mine in November and have only just sussed everything out. I am getting about 34-36mpg round town.

What's really annoying is the Manual selection always reverts to Auto once you have stopped the car! You can tell what it's on by checking the mpg reading that you can select on the dash between the main dials. If it says A it's Auto.

Hi all,

I don't think the Auto MPG is accurate at all.

It starts off at 0 all the time and slowly increases. If you sit for 5 minutes with the engine running then drive the upward progression is a lot slower.

When I had a diesel ford, it would show a real world MPG linked to revs / speed of the engine, this appeared to be very accurate and over a life time reading was very accurate.

I would recommend using fuely for a couple of weeks to track your fill ups and miles, I think you will see a different more positive figure than what the car shows.

My current manual reading is 37 Mpg however Feully has me at over 47Mpg... Most of my driving on petrol only and a lot of motorway 50 miles plus journeys.

Would be interested to know the outcome

Are you talking about auto mpg or manual mpg? I don't think you can make a comparison between auto mpg and Fuelly easily or you must empty a tank without stopping for more than 4 hours. When I compare my lifetime manual mpg to Spritmonitor, it is spot on. Could it be you have missed one or two fill-ups in Fuelly?

What you describe about mpg going up slower after having stood still for a while with running engine is totally what you would expect, isn't it? As it is an average and not an instantaneous mpg.

anko said:
Are you talking about auto mpg or manual mpg? I don't think you can make a comparison between auto mpg and Fuelly easily or you must empty a tank without stopping for more than 4 hours. When I compare my lifetime manual mpg to Spritmonitor, it is spot on. Could it be you have missed one or two fill-ups in Fuelly?

What you describe about mpg going up slower after having stood still for a while with running engine is totally what you would expect, isn't it? As it is an average and not an instantaneous mpg.

Absolutely agree with ANKO,
Some cars give instantaneous MPG readouts &/or trip, but PHEVs don't. It is either 'TRIP' or 'TOTAL'.
It would be no good for me to 'give it a few weeks' with Fuelly. I can't remember the last time I put any petrol in. But that is just my type of usage.
After a 40 mile trip across the countryside I have achieved 40.1 purely on hybrid but that was before I was taught how to use the paddles properly.
Reading the 'AUTO' units, the car is burning petrol when you are stopped if the engine is still running. (I have never noticed, does the ICE stop when in flat batt hybrid mode, if you press hard on the brake pedal??)
My 'Manual' readout is now at 75.5. since I last zeroed it about 3 weeks ago, which presumably is because the ICE does come on for very short periods of either energetic acceleration/hill climbing or heater on below 47f.

maby said:
Sunder said:
onlynik said:

I assume he is talking about quite a short run. Starting from cold and running a couple of miles to the shops and back, I can easily come in at worse than 10mpg. This improves a lot after the first ten or fifteen miles.

Yup, couple of miles back from teh office to home, no charge

onlynik said:

Yup, couple of miles back from teh office to home, no charge

In that case, yes, the fuel consumption is going to be terrible unless you can stop the petrol engine running - which, at this time of year, means driving in several pullovers and multiple pairs of gloves! But take heart - soon it will be warm enough that you will be able to do it comfortable on EV all the time and petrol consumption will be zero!

I have just got my new Phev and done a 256 mile journey with a fuel charge to start with and mpg was 38.5 upon arriving home heating was on all the time .....so I think that is reasonable but not brilliant

I will be doing about 30,000 miles a year in it so I think as a company vehicle it wont be the best for fuel consumption

I did 175 miles on 2 trips last week, majority is at 75mph on the motorway. 1st trip, more motoryway I got 38mpg, return trip, with several detours on A roads I got 40mpg.

For a 2 ton, 2 litre petrol 4 wheel drive vehicle not bad. Same trip using my wife's Prius and it got 55mpg.

Still driving the PHEV!

With my PHEV I have only ever reset the AUTO mileage data. The MANUAL data is still showing the lifetime mileage of my PHEV since I took delivery over a year ago. I reset the AUTO setting for any spot checks of mileage. The number may reset over an off time of 4 hours, but I can't wait that long, so reset it whenever I want to make a check. The %EV seems to reset with a full recharge on the cord.

Our company bought 3 of these PHEV's on the grounds that they don't need charging points because they have onboard generators.
No 1 has a 12 mile run into London.
No 2 has a 28 mile run into London.
No 3 has a 25 mile run into London.
All 3 are then used to run around London for the day and we expected to be able to use the runs into town to do the battery charging but, of course, that's a waste of time.
The average mileages for the cars are :
1 = 22 mpg
2 = 26 mpg
3 = 28 mpg.
I notice that Mitsubishi are still advertising the 150 mpg on the TV :shock: :shock: Obviously if you could charge them night and day they could say the mpg was infinite !
If you can't have charging points installed then it's really a waste of time getting the PHEV's.

Regards ....... G.

Back