2016 Outlander keyfob hack. REMOTE HEATER!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
karlnaust said:
Can one buy a 2016 key at the dealer and get this function on ar 2014/2015 i wonder? Anyone care to guess or know if possible?
Perhaps, the main problem is to get the dealer to connect the new key to your old car. They probably won't do it.

I've been using this feature for a while now and it seems to work perfectly. It's the best feature (if you can count it as a feature) of the car!

I can confirm that it is possible to modify the key to the older PHEVs.
My PHEV is delivered in November 2013 and I have made a modification to start the heater. But it uses SW4 for activation.
2 clicks (as the remote tailgate) does this: lock your car and turn signals do 3 quick blinks, and the heater starts.
20160311_160151.jpg

20160311_160200.jpg

I bought a new switch and another shell with an extra button, think it is used as a panic button in some countries.
Then I soldered the switch between the minus (-) and TP6, which goes to SW4 ...
20160311_165841.jpg

20160311_190824.jpg

nahoj56 said:
My PHEV is delivered in November 2013 and I have made a modification to start the heater. But it uses SW4 for activation.
2 clicks (as the remote tailgate) does this: lock your car and turn signals do 3 quick blinks, and the heater starts.
20160311_160151.jpg

20160311_160200.jpg

I bought a new switch and another shell with an extra button, think it is used as a panic button in some countries.
Then I soldered the switch between the minus (-) and TP6, which goes to SW4 ...
20160311_165841.jpg

20160311_190824.jpg
Hej Johan (?)
This is really a killer hack! Fantastic! I'd really like to have this feature whenever you go to the store for a few minutes and then want to heat the PHEV to get rid of the nervous start of ICE behaviour in cold weather. The app is so dead slow so that's not an option in this use case.

Could you pls highlight where you bought the extra cover/shell and the switch? Links please! :)

ClasseClas said:
Hej Johan (?)
This is really a killer hack! Fantastic! I'd really like to have this feature whenever you go to the store for a few minutes and then want to heat the PHEV to get rid of the nervous start of ICE behaviour in cold weather. The app is so dead slow so that's not an option in this use case.

Could you pls highlight where you bought the extra cover/shell and the switch? Links please! :)
Hej Clas.
Yes it is a very good feature, it certainly should have been included from the beginning ..
Here are some links..

I used this Shell:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Key-...ash=item2a4f28f6e7:g:ptAAAOSwPhdVLORG&vxp=mtr

But the switch that I used is really a bit too high (1.5mm).
Is probably better to use this switch, which is 1 mm, and the same type as the original:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4-1mm-SMD...273843?hash=item58c4498233:g:3NcAAOSweW5VSM-n

Good luck with the soldering! :)
/Johan

Thanks for the links! I have now ordered the items. I thought I already had the switch as I repaired my son's Razor mouse where the left click switch broke some time ago. Now these were of a different shape so I ordered the correct one. Soon some soldering to do.

nahoj56 said:
ClasseClas said:
Hej Johan (?)

Hej Clas.
Yes it is a very good feature, it certainly should have been included from the beginning ..
Here are some links..

I used this Shell:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Key-...ash=item2a4f28f6e7:g:ptAAAOSwPhdVLORG&vxp=mtr

But the switch that I used is really a bit too high (1.5mm).
Is probably better to use this switch, which is 1 mm, and the same type as the original:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4-1mm-SMD...273843?hash=item58c4498233:g:3NcAAOSweW5VSM-n

Good luck with the soldering! :)
/Johan
Hej Johan!

Now I got the switches and hopefully soon I will get the shell as well.

Just for my understanding, how did you solder the switch? It's a bit hard to see the details in your pic.
According to the pic it looks like you only soldered the two right hand legs?
Then you put a tape under the left hand legs and soldered a wire to the upper left leg?
Did I get it right?

ClasseClas said:
Hej Johan!

Just for my understanding, how did you solder the switch? It's a bit hard to see the details in your pic.
Then you put a tape under the left hand legs and soldered a wire to the upper left leg?
Did I get it right?

Hej Clas!
Yes it is quite right. The right side was soldered on the circuit board , which is the same as the negative terminal . Then double-sided tape in order to isolate and hold it on place . On the switch's left side , you can use either the upper or lower leg..

nahoj56 said:
ClasseClas said:
Hej Johan!

Did I get it right?

Hej Clas!
Yes it is quite right. The right side was soldered on the circuit board , which is the same as the negative terminal . Then double-sided tape in order to isolate and hold it on place . On the switch's left side , you can use either the upper or lower leg..
Crystal clear. Thanks! :D

Eventually I got the shells about one week ago and this evening I modified one of my keyfobs. Of course it works as described! :)

Now, for the modification of my second keyfob I will look for a thinner cable to make it even smoother to close the fob and to ensure perfect button clicks.

This is a perfect feature not only for winter season, but also for summer when I quickly can turn on the pre-cooling of my cabin. My black labrador will love this! :)

Then the million dollar question to nahoj56: How did you come up with this perfect hack? Reading specs, hacking the radio i/f or so? Pls share if you want to. :mrgreen:

Hej nahoj56

Could you upload full resolution pics of the modification to a pic host like postimg and share the links?

I'd love to have a closer look and find a way to modify one of my original keys.

ClasseClas said:
Eventually I got the shells about one week ago and this evening I modified one of my keyfobs. Of course it works as described! :)

Now, for the modification of my second keyfob I will look for a thinner cable to make it even smoother to close the fob and to ensure perfect button clicks.

This is a perfect feature not only for winter season, but also for summer when I quickly can turn on the pre-cooling of my cabin. My black labrador will love this! :)

Then the million dollar question to nahoj56: How did you come up with this perfect hack? Reading specs, hacking the radio i/f or so? Pls share if you want to. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that you got it to work! :)

But it is Fragge who should have the honor of discovery. He found the unused switch in his 2016 PHEVs keyfob.
I just found a solution to modify older PHEVs :) ..

Kim said:
Hej nahoj56

Could you upload full resolution pics of the modification to a pic host like postimg and share the links?

I'd love to have a closer look and find a way to modify one of my original keys.

Hej Kim

Yes, here is some links:

http://postimg.org/image/5c4mejt01/

http://postimg.org/image/4d1fk4aa9/

An improvement to the remote sounds great.
The Mitsubishi app is very poor and, for me, not really useful as I leave at a different time each day and the car is out of reach of the wifi. At least if a control was on the key fob it would be quick to pop outside and turn the heater on.

As Mitsubishi are emailing all owners about the security problem could I suggest we all reply to their email requesting they improve the app and the remote heating/cooling to make it workable.

I couldn't even start to do what you guys have done. Is there anyone in the UK that could take this on and do the upgrade? Before the winter!!..
Peter Fife

nahoj56 said:

I did my remote today, couple of small issues.

The cases are not genuine Mitsu. They are 99.99% the same, buttons are not as bright quality as the original. They are not interchangeable as they are not quite the same tolerance. The rubber interliner is not usable - on the mitsu one, the emergency button rubber over the new switch is thin. On the copy, it is thick meaning the button will be pressed on when the case is clipped together. Use the genuine Mitsu one in the new keyfob.

Now, the soldering went OK, pressing the new button and the led lights, so all looking OK. However the heating is not coming on, maybe the button press sequence mentioned above isn't clear enough for me - can you explain your button press sequence for me (sorry to be dim . . . )

Thanks in advance

Jeff

p.s. Obviously, it's supposed to be Summer, so maybe the outside temperature is too high?

Agree on that the shells/cases are not perfect but I think they are good enough.

When it comes to getting the pre-heating or pre-cooling (yes this is possible too!) to start I do like this:
1) Make sure that you have activated either heating or defroster or cooling in the app (or in the MMCS menu system in the car). In the app select Timer and then Climate Timer Settings and then select Mode (heating or cooling). Also select Operation time, 10-30 minutes.
2) Car must be locked (as far as I know).
3) On the remote double-click the red button. The car will confirm with 3 fast turn signal blinks.
4) Now the pre-heating or pre-cooling will start. It is not possible to cancel this process unless you open a door.

I have used the pre-heating daily during wintertime and it works perfectly. The pre-cooling is a nifty feature which you may not think of first hand. Now during summertime it is so handy to just doubleclick on the remote to start the cooling. The cabin temperature will reach comfort temp within 10 minutes normally. A killer application for me and my dog. :)

ClasseClas said:
I have used the pre-heating daily during wintertime and it works perfectly. The pre-cooling is a nifty feature which you may not think of first hand. Now during summertime it is so handy to just doubleclick on the remote to start the cooling. The cabin temperature will reach comfort temp within 10 minutes normally. A killer application for me and my dog. :)

Must be having a better summer in Sweden than here in UK :lol:

greendwarf said:
ClasseClas said:

Must be having a better summer in Sweden than here in UK :lol:
You take care of the Atlantic rains and then we just enjoy the sun. ;-) ;-)

Back