Australians down under

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah that's a very good question.

According to the brochure, the wifi stuff is Aspire only. I have no idea about the timer menu.

I've got the ZJ, which I believe doesn't have wifi, but I thought all models had the MMCS charge timer option. Anyway, it's nothing a manual plug timer can't fix.

First road trip yesterday. 340km drive starting on not much charge as I'd been running around prior. Averaged 6.5l per 100km on up and down mostly 110kph roads, with a chunk of driving at night time and some heater usage. Pretty impressive for a large heavy SUV

Just fyi: over such a distance use of heater will (hardly) make a diffetence on economy. You will be running on ice regulsrly, meanimg heat will come from the ice coolant, not the electric heater (if even present). Especially since you took off with very little charge.

Doesn't make it less impressive, if you ask me :)

rangersac said:
I've got the ZJ, which I believe doesn't have wifi, but I thought all models had the MMCS charge timer option. Anyway, it's nothing a manual plug timer can't fix.

OK. I'm basing this one guesses re a recent experience.

In my car, after an update, I lost the timer menus and wifi connectivity.

This was fixed by the dealer replacing the "remote module" (their terminology).

So, I'm guessing that the "remote module" provides both the timer menus and the wifi connectivity.

I'll look at the brochure that came with my car again, and see if I can see anything that indicates that the timer functionality is limited by model.

OK.

The only clue I can find is in the MMCS manual, which has a little: "Equipment by type" label above the timer settings entries.

AndyInOz said:
OK.

The only clue I can find is in the MMCS manual, which has a little: "Equipment by type" label above the timer settings entries.

The "poverty pack" model definitely does not have the time functionality......

Oer.

"poverty pack" is a little bit harsh.

There were three different PHEVs available when I bought mine (two regular one Aspire), not everyone will have that luxury, or even know about the difference.

:roll:

HHL said:
[The "poverty pack" model definitely does not have the time functionality......

Hahah, well if mine is the poverty version so be it, it still has approximately 1,386 more features than any other car I've owned! Like I said nothing a manual plug timer doesn't fix, and since I will be charging it at work when I drive there it avoids me having to turn it off anyway.

Return journey for the road trip today. Paid a bit more attention to the distance and use of the car. 274km in total, starting at around 300m above sea level, with a climb up to a 1000m plateau and several other decent hills at the beginning and end of the drive along. Used the aircon on a reasonably low setting as well for some of the journey as it was warm and pretty sunny. Computer at the end read 6l per 100km. I've gotta say I'm pretty baffled by the numerous road tests I've read where the reviewers have managed figures in the 8 and 9 litre bracket. They must have a seriously heavy right foot, and have all accessories going full tilt.

AndyInOz said:
Oer.

"poverty pack" is a little bit harsh.

There were three different PHEVs available when I bought mine (two regular one Aspire), not everyone will have that luxury, or even know about the difference.

:roll:
As far as I know there were only 2 variants, I do have the "standard", that's how I know there is no timer. I use an external one that works just fine (a WEMO switch) and I can also turn that on remotely.

As for fuel consumption, I actually think it uses a bit less fuel since the update. I did a run from Dural to Dee Why not long after the update and actually got 5.2/100, couldn't quite believe it but it seems to do between 6 and 7 now most of the time when I need to run on petrol.
As for the reviewers bagging this car, none of them seem to have a clue what they're talking about and especially what this car is all about....

I think the fuel economy plummets when the car is driven at the top end of its speed range.

But, I'm also pretty sure that's true for pretty much every car in the world. (fluid dynamics etc.)

I read a review that was called something like 12 reasons why you mustn't by the Outlander PHEV, which I would summarise as "haters gotta hate".

G'day people,

Anthony from Adelaide... I've been lurking but I'm not "aspiring" anymore, with some luck I'll pick up a newish PHEV on Wednesday. Found a nice appliance white number with 20 000 ex mitsi fleet kilometres on it and ended up at about $31and a bit on road. Of their stock the white up spec model was sold, the insipid road coloured one had been a bit unloved, so we got a cleaner standard 2014.5 model.

Has anyone else had water condensed in the tail lights or have we just had a particularly ruthless detailer at work with a pressure washer? Dealer is looking at it.

I quizzed them on servicing just out of interest and they volunteered to do one, as it has been 2 years since delivery(?) Warranty is current till mid 2020 they tell me. Think I'll do 7500km oil changes myself as cold starts and short runs are dreadful for engines generally.

Ive been raking back through the forums here and elsewhere, can anyone quantify what the current/final/todays word is on recalls and software updates? Did these things get tangled up in the Takata airbag fiasco too?

I've ordered an OBD2 WiFi adaptor and bought the EVBATMON app... that looks intriguing to play with. Who else has fiddled with that?

My only other concern at the moment is getting a decent towbar sorted and adding some electric brake wiring. Redarc make a good controller but I've not sorted a bar yet. As an auto electrician I'm inclined to get factory wiring for the lights but has anyone had experiece good or bad?

Cheers for the reading so far.

Welcome. As someone who has recently lost their PHEV virginity I hope your experience will be as enjoyable as mine. The water in/ around the tail lights seems to be a fairly common issue, see here. In terms of updates, when I got mine and I quizzed the dealer, the answer seemed to be that there was a recall for fouling spark plugs, so the software was updated to ensure the engine ran for longer. Aside from that getting a map update check would also be worthwhile. No Takata airbag issue with the PHEV, and no issue regarding the recent engine loss of power recall for many Mitsubishi models.

I had a towbar fitted by a dealer as I needed a roadworthy inspection done as well for a rego swap, but my understanding is there's nothing particularly special about the PHEV in terms of fitting braking wiring so any decent firm/ mechanic should be able to do the job. Like you I've ordered the OBD2 adaptor and will have a play with EVBATMON when it arrives.

Congratulations, @ investedenergy . One thing to be aware of (I wasn't) is that your ex-fleet vehicle is not covered by the capped price servicing arrangement.
Be prepared to negotiate service prices if your are going to a dealership.
My last service was almost $400 over the capped price amount - I didn't know about the situation until after I'd dropped off the vehicle.

At the Wayville Showgrounds some time ago an Outlander PHEV was on display connected to a box made by an Australian company that in turn was connected to a small tent with a fridge in it, some party lights, etc. In other words, it seemed to be a 3rd party box allowing functionality similar to the missing AC outlet we don't get in Australia.

Does anyone know what this product is or what the company was that sells it?

Ok, the photos were taken with my wife’s iPhone, and I used the geotagging to look for photos taken at the show grounds.

Company is gelcoservices, looks Adelaide based, but no mention of this product on their website? Does anyone have one?

I don’t have a PHEV yet, but now there is a model with CarPlay I’m keen to get one as I already wanted one, but no CarPlay was a deal breaker for me and I can’t swap out a PHEV headunit as I’d lose the EV system info on that display.

Here are the pics of the tent to stuff that was running off the PHEV and the sign. I didn’t get a pic of the PHEV itself but I’m sure you know what they look like :)

The pics were just so I could look it up online later. But it’s not on their site. :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqv3iiyg46s1tre/Photo 6-8-17, 4 32 36 pm.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewdz1i4mx66qfa8/Photo 6-8-17, 4 32 40 pm.jpg

darwiniandude said:
At the Wayville Showgrounds some time ago an Outlander PHEV was on display connected to a box made by an Australian company that in turn was connected to a small tent with a fridge in it, some party lights, etc. In other words, it seemed to be a 3rd party box allowing functionality similar to the missing AC outlet we don't get in Australia.

Does anyone know what this product is or what the company was that sells it?

I still don't understand this! The traction battery costs thousands of dollars and the car is useless when it wears out - surely you want to reserve it for driving rather than using up valuable life expectancy on your fridge, don't you? A Honda suitcase generator costing a few hundred dollars is the correct power source for a fridge and some party lights!

Anyone replaced the 12v battery? Said it needs replacing at the 45k service. How long have yours been lasting

The battery in the car is an x60cmf which is different to what the manual says

Mine has been in for four years and 95000 kms. Nobody said anything about replacing it. I would use it until it dies. To be sure you could carry a small 12V battery with you (like from a house alarm) with a couple of wires and clips. It does not take much to jump-start the car.

loodaccu-12-v-32-ah-conrad-energy-250189-loodvlies-agm.jpg

maby said:
I still don't understand this! The traction battery costs thousands of dollars and the car is useless when it wears out - surely you want to reserve it for driving rather than using up valuable life expectancy on your fridge, don't you? A Honda suitcase generator costing a few hundred dollars is the correct power source for a fridge and some party lights!

I'm with you maby, however I would guess some do not want a smelly generator taking up space while driving, or the noise at the destination.
These decisions are usually more aspirational, than rational or financial. Much like buying a full price PHEV in many circumstances where you are unlikely to recoup the extra purchase cost over its lifetime.

zzcoopej said:
maby said:

I'm with you maby, however I would guess some do not want a smelly generator taking up space while driving, or the noise at the destination.
These decisions are usually more aspirational, than rational or financial. Much like buying a full price PHEV in many circumstances where you are unlikely to recoup the extra purchase cost over its lifetime.

That might be true if we were talking about a big, noisy, smelly diesel gen-set, but modern four-stroke petrol suitcase generators in the 1 to 2kw range are small, clean and almost silent. If you are far enough from civilisation to need off-grid power, you will presumably be needing battery charge to get home without burning too much petrol - better to let a little Honda do what it is good at and run your fridge on a cupfull of petrol and save the traction battery to get you home later in the day.

Back