Headlight level manual adjustment

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vijay

Happy New Year all!

With the nights drawing in and many evenings spent driving with the headlights on, I have noticed a number of on coming vehicles are flashing their headlights as if I have my high beams on/blinding them.

I have verified that the high beams are indeed off and the recent MOT / service has confirmed the beams are set correctly - Yet we are still being flashed.

In previous vehicles, there was usually a switch which you could use to adjust the beam level, so if you were fully loaded in the back with the front lifted, you could dial the beam downwards. There does not appear to be this option in the PHEV, or am I missing the switch?

Anyone else having this issue?

Hand-adjusting HID beams to car load is illegal. The adjustment must be automatic.
You are being flashed because your lights are brighter than average.
Strangely enough, this is far more rare on the continent.

Yes I've had the same thing happen since the day I got the car. The lights are indeed very bright - and the adjustment should, in my opinion, be lower. If you are on a flat road, the problem is not too bad, but at the slightest incline, you can see (by glancing at the side of the road) that the lights are too high and often in the eyes of approaching drivers. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they have checked and the alignment is correct.... I've just got used to being flashed at, and I am now always ready to give a (very brief) return flash of the high beam to show my headlights are actually dipped...

Me too. But I adjusted mine down, and that solved the problem. Funnily enough, I've just had my first MOT and nothing was said about the headlight alignment. I'm sure they were originally set way too high.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I was under the impression that the headlamps only adjusted if turned on manually on the stalk and not if allowed to turn on via the automatic setting.

Sounds crazy but I believe that is so! :shock:

I've just noticed this too now the darker nights are here. I can often see my headlight beam at the top of their windscreens.
I've had it checked and has also passed two MOTs. As the old headlight adjustment is a common MOT scam anyway, then I would've thought a genuine example would get pounced upon.
I've compared the beam level to that of my fully loaded works van and there is a noticeable difference and I can fully sympathise with oncoming traffic flashing me.
I do the same courtesy flash back to also confirm to them that my lights aren't on high beam.
If they're self adjusting then I'd say they either don't do it quickly enough or enough at all as I never visibly notice it.
My insignia, I was able to clearly see the lights moving up/down/left/right accordingly.

Back