Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter/offroad tyres on 16" rims? Anyone tried?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:11 am 

Wanted some advice on tyres. Winter is almost over but want to plan ahead for next one and look at some options and maybe buy in the spring/summer, hopefully getting a cheaper deal out of season? Don't know if tyre places do that? Discount winter tyre stock in the spring/summer? Anyway...
My Phev (like most I guess) has 225/55 R18....
So can't get decent winter/off road tyres for it....looking on black circles, best thing I can find are yokohama geolandar at £113 and pirelli cross Climate at £160 and Michelin winter tyres at £185! ouch...

Would anyone advise to get a second hand set of 16" alloys and stick some BFGs on? 16" will provide more offroad/winter options. I don't want to do extreme offroading, but want something that will be better in a field/mud/greenlanes and in snow/ice.
Unfortunately BFG don't seem to do an all terrain/winter/mud tyre in 18" with a 55 profile. So I need to drop to 16" wheel and increase to 75-80 profile to maintain same overall diameter and not affect speedo?
I was also told that having higher profile will provide a more comfortable ride, as low profile tyres are quite hard, so you feel every bump and every pothole (and there are a lot of them about!).
So a higher profile tyre provides more absorbency and softer ride.

I'm thinking if I can get a spare "alloy+tyre" set then I can swap them for winter and keep others in shed? Get a second hand set of 16" rims and stick BFG all terrains on.

Few questions I have:

-Has anyone done this?
-Do 16" rims fit over the brakes?
-What width rim do I need to get - 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5"??? or what's the widest you can go to? wider tyre=more grip right?
-If anyone's done it and can send links to the rims they bought? or any pics? I can get some cheap landrover rims 2nd hand, but they have 5 studs and PHEV has 6....so have to be correct pattern.
-What tyres to go for? 215, 225, 245 and what profile? is there a calculation guide when switching rims/profiles to ensure the overall stays the same?
-does it affect TPMS or how do you do this without affecting TPMS?
-does it affect warranty?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Winter/offroad tyres on 16" rims? Anyone tried?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 am 

actually having checked PHEV has 5 studs too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 am 

been offered these landrover rims with tyres included, but not sure if they'd fit or not....
original 18" phev rims and landrover 16" rims side by side
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19w-L5 ... JEcXqiN9DD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 am 

No problem. I am running 215/70/16 wintertyres on my PHEV. You can get rims from any decent onlineshop. Bolt pattern is 5/114,3 and ET 38 but normally you just give them the carmodel and they will give you correct recommendations. Width is determined by tyresize so check this before buying. I am not using the TPMS and have the annoying warning sign but otherwise there is no problem running without TPMS. Make sure you get matching bolts because the OEM rims have flathead bolts and most aftermarkets (not all) have conical heads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 am 

Steepndeep wrote:
No problem. I am running 215/70/16 wintertyres on my PHEV. You can get rims from any decent onlineshop. Bolt pattern is 5/114,3 and ET 38 but normally you just give them the carmodel and they will give you correct recommendations. Width is determined by tyresize so check this before buying. I am not using the TPMS and have the annoying warning sign but otherwise there is no problem running without TPMS. Make sure you get matching bolts because the OEM rims have flathead bolts and most aftermarkets (not all) have conical heads.

brilliant, thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:30 am 

Another thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2779

I opted for 225/55 R18 Cooper Weathermaster WSC winter tyres after reading some fantastic reviews. Only about £82.00 each. Prices do fluctuate enormously through the year.
They performed very well in the snow but the little Phev was somewhat limited due to having the same ground clearance as a small cat. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am 

MrPastry wrote:
Another thread here:

I opted for 225/55 R18 Cooper Weathermaster WSC winter tyres after reading some fantastic reviews. Only about £82.00 each. Prices do fluctuate enormously through the year.
They performed very well in the snow but the little Phev was somewhat limited due to having the same ground clearance as a small cat. ;)

spot on thanks. I'm tempted with swapping to 16" and sticking on BFG all terrain, which will see me through the mud, as well as snow.
Like I said, I don't want to do extreme offroading, but will be going in muddy fields and want the traction :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am 

MrPastry wrote:
Another thread here:

Does the TPMS still work?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm 

You should should have no problems with 16 inch rims, the alternative specs are in the manual and on the door arch regarding tyre sizes pressures.

Picture attached used original outlander rims with Khumo Venture APT 70 inch tyres

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 am 

fatnat wrote:
You should should have no problems with 16 inch rims, the alternative specs are in the manual and on the door arch regarding tyre sizes pressures.

Picture attached used original outlander rims with Khumo Venture APT 70 inch tyres

original rims are 18"? so by putting bigger profile tyres will increase overall diameter? will it cause issue with rubbing on the arches etc?