Vibration - Roof Rails ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancoPHEV

Hi all. I have a 2014 PHEV with intégral roof rails. For about 6 weeks I have noticed an intermittent vibration that I think is coming from the front trim of the roof rails. Usually only at 70 km/h or higher and with a headwind. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for a cure? Any tips on how to remove and refit the trim? Many thanks.

Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.

Linxray said:
Look at the roof rails just above the windscreen, there’s a strip of rubber between the roof and the rails that is loose and could be causing the vibration. I’m going to try using some silicone rubber to glue the strip down and see if it stops the noise. I’ll report back when done.

Agreed that this is definitely the source of the vibration. I also thought about silicone, instead I decided to put a 2cm strip of electricians’ tape horizontally across the gap/joint at the front edge on both rails just before my latest 3 hour journey. Result - there was not a hint of the vibration. As this “fix” is relatively discreet, I will leave it at that for now but, when I can, I will ask my service centre whether there is a proper solution.

I've also on occasion (not very often) noticed a curious vibration-type sound recently, only when I'm at highish altitude (Scotland) and there's a bit of a crosswind. I thought it might be a curious vibration of the aerial. I've just identified the bits of rubber/plastic you refer to on the roofrails, hadn't noticed them before. I'll see if securing them helps next time it happens.

I once removed the entire dashboard from a Sierra XR4i trying to identify and cure a vibration noise. Eventually discovered it was a bit of plastic trim on the outside of the windscreen surround. Cured it in a few seconds with a bit of rubber! Also spent around five years trying to identify a squeak on my Smart Fortwo (including replacing half of the front suspension) - it was a rubber radiator hose rubbing against something inside the front end of the car, cured it with a cable tie.

NightPHEVer said:
I've also on occasion (not very often) noticed a curious vibration-type sound recently, only when I'm at highish altitude (Scotland) and there's a bit of a crosswind. I thought it might be a curious vibration of the aerial. I've just identified the bits of rubber/plastic you refer to on the roofrails, hadn't noticed them before. I'll see if securing them helps next time it happens.

I once removed the entire dashboard from a Sierra XR4i trying to identify and cure a vibration noise. Eventually discovered it was a bit of plastic trim on the outside of the windscreen surround. Cured it in a few seconds with a bit of rubber! Also spent around five years trying to identify a squeak on my Smart Fortwo (including replacing half of the front suspension) - it was a rubber radiator hose rubbing against something inside the front end of the car, cured it with a cable tie.

This is why I always drive with the radio up loud - if its serious it will fall off eventually, so I'd rather not worry in the meantime :lol:

FrancoPHEV said:
Linxray said:

Agreed that this is definitely the source of the vibration. I also thought about silicone, instead I decided to put a 2cm strip of electricians’ tape horizontally across the gap/joint at the front edge on both rails just before my latest 3 hour journey. Result - there was not a hint of the vibration. As this “fix” is relatively discreet, I will leave it at that for now but, when I can, I will ask my service centre whether there is a proper solution.

Will try this - I to have the same issue. Been thinking it was my roof bars, but must not be. The area mentioned seems about the right place too.

Got to be said - poor development process for this to go unmissed.

Closing the loop on this one. I was finally back at the dealership yesterday for a service and mentioned this problem to the Techs. They said that it is not uncommon with slightly older PHEVs and that their solution is to stick down the end caps. They have done this for me and I will see if their glue holds as well as my elecricians' tape did for the last 9 months.

Back