Upcoming service - any battery related serivce?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trades46

Well the car is about to take its 2nd routine maintenance service at 16,000km. When I brought the car one of the promotions was free oil changes 2x per year (somewhat useful as old man's commute is ~50km roundtrip with no charging stops in between) and the rest like air filters & all that jazz.

I don't have the PHEV Dog but my Chargepoint Home gives me a good rough estimate on how much juice is required to charge from empty. Clearly there's already a bit of degradation going on as the car when new took about 9.1~9.4 kWh to top up. Now it is closer to 8.7~8.9 kWh. Should I inquire about a battery health report and/or ask for a cell smoothing or cell balancing procedure to be performed? Since the car is still less than a year old, I do not believe a DBCAM would be required so soon. Obviously neither are put into routine maintenance but we all know how "good" the BMS software is on the PHEV.

Any thoughts from older members here on preserving battery health & integrity? Many thanks.

Trades46 said:
... but we all know how "good" the BMS software is on the PHEV.
Do we? Even Andy from Unplugged EV said at the end of his last video " ... or maybe the battery is really as bad as the BMU says it is".

BTW: Below graph shows the effect of DBCAM (3x) on my SoH development. Makes you wonder if it is all worth it:

image.png

Trades46 said:
Well the car is about to take its 2nd routine maintenance service at 16,000km. When I brought the car one of the promotions was free oil changes 2x per year (somewhat useful as old man's commute is ~50km roundtrip with no charging stops in between) and the rest like air filters & all that jazz.

I don't have the PHEV Dog but my Chargepoint Home gives me a good rough estimate on how much juice is required to charge from empty. Clearly there's already a bit of degradation going on as the car when new took about 9.1~9.4 kWh to top up. Now it is closer to 8.7~8.9 kWh. Should I inquire about a battery health report and/or ask for a cell smoothing or cell balancing procedure to be performed? Since the car is still less than a year old, I do not believe a DBCAM would be required so soon. Obviously neither are put into routine maintenance but we all know how "good" the BMS software is on the PHEV.

Any thoughts from older members here on preserving battery health & integrity? Many thanks.

The smoothing process ... is a fancy name for a "full discharge" followed by a full charge only for re-calibrate some parameter in the BMU

In my view it is not worth it, actually it just age faster the battery

I would suggest to take a proper OBD2 adapter for monitor properly the PHEV battery degradation, it is a little investment, but give a full view on the car status

Anyhow, even the included MMCS function of charging cost does give a indication of the amount of energy needed for charge the main battery .. still when EV range is equal to 0 .. the battery can be as low as 25% SOC or 30% ... if the BMU has an error on calculating SOH and SOC ... the battery SOC at 0km EV range, can be lower then 25% or above 30% ... so using the charging energy will not give any proper indication for know the battery SOH

PS: About preserving the battery ... my suggestion are:
- don't fully charge the car if the car does not need to be used, or if only a short trip is needed
- charge the car that is charged just before the usage ... keep battery fully charged does cause the battery to age faster
- if the trip is short, so there is plenty of EV range until the next charge , drive using B0 or in default B2 .. using B5 allow to have longer EV range at the cost of stressing more the battery with high spike of charging current
- in a long trip, so when ICE will be needed, let the car do everything in automatic mode, eventually if you have to drive at high speed at the beginning of the trip, allow the main battery to get some rest using save button for brake into 2 or 3 parts the discharge of the main battery .. this should help the battery to stay cooler

Back