Nearest dealer 44 miles away

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blweeden

Would this be a deal breaker for you? I'm considering purchasing, bit definitely don't want to drive that far fir every oil change if I'd need to do them at Mitsubishi
...can you get basic service done elsewhere and stay under warranty?

I'd be using this as a family hauler, a road tripper when we want to being lits of stuff, and to tow and launch a fairly light weight boat (maybe just over 1000 lbs). It seems pretty brilliant for those things, but I'd like to hear anything contrary to that too...for me, having a vehicle that can tow our boat and also handle our 15 mile commute on electric sounds great on the surface.

Brian

That distance wouldn't bother me at all, but I drive for a living, so may have a different take on it than you do. I think it's more important that your dealer be very knowledgeable with PHEV service, and willing to work with your schedule. My dealer lends me a car for every 3rd service, since they keep the vehicle overnight for the battery charge/discharge test on that major service. There is no dealer in my city, but I only have to go 30km East or West to reach one.

44 miles once a year doesn't seem too onerous and you can probably get there quicker than I can driving across London to my nearest. :lol:

blweeden said:
Would this be a deal breaker for you? I'm considering purchasing, bit definitely don't want to drive that far fir every oil change if I'd need to do them at Mitsubishi
...can you get basic service done elsewhere and stay under warranty?

I'd be using this as a family hauler, a road tripper when we want to being lits of stuff, and to tow and launch a fairly light weight boat (maybe just over 1000 lbs). It seems pretty brilliant for those things, but I'd like to hear anything contrary to that too...for me, having a vehicle that can tow our boat and also handle our 15 mile commute on electric sounds great on the surface.

Brian
This car is not suitable for basic service only, and the service protocol does include electronic service, so doing only half might impact your guaranty. OTOH the service interval is quite generous, in Europe 20.000 km, so 44 miles does not sound too bad.

I agree with jaapv's comment above about doing service at an authorized dealer centre. Here in Canada, the service interval is much shorter, just 8,00km, as all of our driving is considered "severe duty", and mine actually is, since I drive 150km (70% freeway/30% urban) every day. That means in the 6 1/2 months I've owned, I've done 36.000+ km, and done 4 services already. I don't mind this too much, as the car is a tool of my delivery business, so all service/maintenance costs are tax deductible, as is most of the purchase price, and I strongly believe in treating my cars well, for long term reliability.

My car is a company car, and whilst I don't pay the bills, I too believe in treating a car well so the machine has a long, happy life.

As others have said, there is no way a car like this - at least during the warranty period - should be serviced by anyone other than a fully authorised main dealer. Can you image the ease with which MMC would get out of any warranty claim if you didn't. I check the oil (never had to add a drop), fill the washer bottle and check the tyre pressure (38PSI - high speed setting) on a weekly basis. I am fully capable of basic service work on a modern ICE (in years gone by I happily tackled full head strip downs and rebuilds) but with 300v, and more computing power than NASA had to put man on the moon, I'm quite happy to leave well alone!

On the subject of service intervals, here in the UK it's every 12500 miles. My car is 21 months old and has 86,000 miles (Approx 138,000 Km) showing with no need for a 'severe use' servicing regime. I am what is regarded here as a road warrior, plying the motorways getting to towns and cities all over GB&I. Servicing has become more interesting of late because during 2017/early 2018 MMC got rid of many smaller dealers despite pretty poor coverage in the first place. From where I live there are 3 dealers I can access, the nearest is 30 miles away, the furthest 50 miles and I don't care which one I use, the criteria is which one has a loan car available first so I can remain mobile while my car is with them.

Back