Suspension

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick1049

Having had my 33,000 miles 2014 PHEV for a few weeks now, I am overall very pleased with it
The one outstanding thing that annoys me is the harshness of the suspension.
It is really annoying in urban/ towns/citys , where every pot-hole/ drain cover etc... is annoyingly harsh, as if there is really no suspension, like a go-cart.
So, my question is, is there any aftermarket suspension firms that produce an alternative suspension ? Has anyone gone down this route for a better ( less harsh) ride.
I have double checked the tyres ( Toyo r37's ) and they have all got 5mm plus of tread left, and are all at 35 psi.( as recommended )
Thanks
Mick.

Well, the last suspension thread complained about the softness, so I guess Mitsubishi got it about right... You can’t please everybody all the time. In your case I would blame the Toyos. Those are not very impressive. Get decent A brand tyres.

jaapv said:
Well, the last suspension thread complained about the softness, so I guess Mitsubishi got it about right... You can’t please everybody all the time. In your case I would blame the Toyos. Those are not very impressive. Get decent A brand tyres.

Yes jaapv, i have already decided to replace the Toyos with Michelin Crossclimates when they wear down a bit more.
I was just wondering if anyone had fitted any other make of struts / springs, with noticeable improvement.

Having driven a Morgan as primary car for twenty years and my summer car now being a TR4 I am the wrong person to judge suspension hardness Everything feels as soft as Madonna’s bottom... However I would say it is about par for a medium size SUV.

jaapv said:
Having driven a Morgan as primary car for twenty years and my summer car now being a TR4 I am the wrong person to judge suspension hardness Everything feels as soft as Madonna’s bottom... However I would say it is about par for a medium size SUV.

Hopefully someone will comment on how they improved the ride by fitting.... " x , y or z " suspension.

It is a two thousand kg car. It may well be that softer springs would make it feel soggy and impair handling.

jaapv said:
It is a two thousand kg car. It may well be that softer springs would make it feel soggy and impair handling.

I think this particularly valid. I previously had several estate cars because they would have stiffer suspension to cope with extra weight over the equivalent saloon model and handled better IMHO. There was a very noticeable difference in handling with the original Mondeo. The saloon suffered badly in cross winds whilst the estate was unaffected. :?

mick1049 said:
Having had my 33,000 miles 2014 PHEV for a few weeks now, I am overall very pleased with it
The one outstanding thing that annoys me is the harshness of the suspension.
It is really annoying in urban/ towns/citys , where every pot-hole/ drain cover etc... is annoyingly harsh, as if there is really no suspension, like a go-cart.
So, my question is, is there any aftermarket suspension firms that produce an alternative suspension ? Has anyone gone down this route for a better ( less harsh) ride.
I have double checked the tyres ( Toyo r37's ) and they have all got 5mm plus of tread left, and are all at 35 psi.( as recommended )
Thanks
Mick.

I have a 2014 and yes the suspension is substantially below average in my opinion too. I do find it OK at very low speed, bad across most the mid range, and if you drive at a constant 90mph it smooths out fantastically but that is no use to anyone (in the UK).

My wife got a new Hyundai Tucson and it is a considerably more comfortable ride without much roll. I just think its an area of design Mitsubishi don't have much skill at (Try driving a courtesy car Mitsubishi Mirage and you will think they have no skill at all, really scary!) but then they are more used to making hard rally cars and builders pickups.

And in answer to the question, sorry I have never heard of one being upgraded, I would think managing the weight would put many suppliers off attempting it.

mick1049 said:
jaapv said:

Hopefully someone will comment on how they improved the ride by fitting.... " x , y or z " suspension.

I'm actually looking forward to comments about "Madonna’s bottom" and how jaapy knows :)

mellobob said:
mick1049 said:
jaapv said:

I'm actually looking forward to comments about "Madonna’s bottom" and how jaapy knows :)
We slept in the same bed... :lol:

Back