Raiders

Fogging of windows

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:21 am

This seems really bad in this car , never had it as bad with a brand new car.
I have cleaned all the windows and then used RainX to prevent the misting up of the screen/side windows.
Came out lunch time and the front screen inside soaking. The fogging has turned to bad condensation.
Any ideas /tricks ? I do have the heaters on sometimes but having to sit there for 10 mins before driving off is a pita
Regards

Kesto

Re: Fogging of windows

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm

I have noticed this as well , new car. 2018-19 two weeks old.
1. if outside temp is 5 Deg and below press the de-mister button. Like the Ford there are heating elements in glass.
2. Set timer to de-mist via phone or from MMCS. Very good option
3. De-mist does not take 10 min, this car is really good compared to others.
4. buy dehumidifier bag and keep it near the windscreen on driver side.

Raiders

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Yes it litrally took 10 mins as it was soaking wet. Before I used rainx the screen would be fogged up .
I have just purchased a couple of de humidifier bags to see if that helps but I have never really had such an issue with older cars previously owned.

Kesto

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 pm

your best option is then to set timer 10 minutes before you leave in morning directed mode to windscreen.

jaapv

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Raiders wrote:This seems really bad in this car , never had it as bad with a brand new car.
I have cleaned all the windows and then used RainX to prevent the misting up of the screen/side windows.
Came out lunch time and the front screen inside soaking. The fogging has turned to bad condensation.
Any ideas /tricks ? I do have the heaters on sometimes but having to sit there for 10 mins before driving off is a pita
Regards
Don't leave your dogs in the car! :lol:
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

billytheshed

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Same for me. Moisture streams down inside of windscreen and in recent days, has even frozen on the inside. De-mister + wipe with microfibre cloth does eventually clear it. When I wash the car there are no signs of water ingress. Interesting that it does not form on any other glass.

greendwarf

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:34 pm

If you use the aircon then the moisture drawn out of the air is dumped back on the windscreen when switched off. I assume the PHEV doesn't expel it from the car as efficiently as others, for some reason. :?

richr

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 am

greendwarf wrote:If you use the aircon then the moisture drawn out of the air is dumped back on the windscreen when switched off. I assume the PHEV doesn't expel it from the car as efficiently as others, for some reason. :?
Check the drain hose isn't clogged. Mine certainly leaves quite a puddle underneath after running the aircon on a damp day.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H (petrol/electric)
2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (diesel)
(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG), 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWB (WVO))

karl

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm

When running the AC my car is dry.

However, I once had a leaking heater element that misted up the windows. It eventually went into sauna-mode and started to smell, but initially it didn't smell that much. If you know how coolant smells then you'd pick it up if you pay attention.

Tipper

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am

I find it best to leave the aircon on...all the time...and on fresh air inlet not recirc.

Whilst I understand the expectations of economy when driving a PHEV and the non-use of aircon for these reasons, I never turned it off on my other recent cars with diesel and petrol engines so why do so now? My comfort and safety takes far more importance than a few watts of power!
2015 GX4hs - Glacier Blue

Return to “Technical Discussions”