Using public charge points to get 100% charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewCorser

Hi

I have been driving my (second hand) PHEV for about 9 months in the UK now, and have mostly used it within the range of one charge done at home - with very careful driving, and given the hills round here, I manage to get about 28 miles on a charge. I also have a Type 2 (?male) - Type 1 (?female) cable so that I can use the fast charger at the Sainsbury supermarket in my nearest town.

I also do a journey of 36 miles one way, where I can then use a public rapid charge point at the other end. So I generally get to within about 10 miles of the destination without using any petrol, and there is a gentle slope down for the last 4 or so miles, so I reckon to only run about 5 miles on this leg of the journey on petrol. Coming back, with only 80% charge, the petrol usage is obviously somewhat more.

My question is how can I get 100% charge at a public charge point? This particular point (owned by GeniePoint) has both DC and AC rapid charging cables: the DC (ChadeMo) that I normally use, and an AC (Mennekes) cable. I guess that the AC (Mennekes) cable (I haven't ever looked closely at it..!) has a Type 2 female plug (as I understand it, Type 2 sockets on cars with those connectors are "male" plugs - see attachment). View attachment Type_2_M&F_Pinout_wiki.JPG

Therefore, what would happen if, after doing the rapid 80% charge on the ChadeMo (while the dog gets a walk) ending and unplugging the ChadeMo session, I then attach the Type 2 female plug (if that is what it is) into the male Type 2 of my cable (mentioned above) and plug it into the Type 1 socket in the PHEV? Will I get the last 20% charge?

I know that Mitsubishi don't support any joining of cables, but that may be because they are more interested in avoiding litigation than in saving the planet!! They also don't support plugging their 13A unit into the mains with a socket adapter - which will only be a problem if you try to use another heavy use appliance in the same adapter - so their lack of support doesn't imply it is not a practical thing to do...

I would welcome any answers or comments!!

Andrew Corser, Cornwall, UK

Hey, i'd wait for a more informed answer but my two-pence is that I've found with the Polar scheme (part of chargemaster) if you plug Chademo in it'll chuck you out at 80% but if you go back for more it'll take you (more slowly this time) up to 100%.

I would think then your swap over to type 2 approach would be unnecessary but have the same affect. I shall look for the fireball out west if i'm wrong! :)

VillageIdiotDan said:
Hey, i'd wait for a more informed answer but my two-pence is that I've found with the Polar scheme (part of chargemaster) if you plug Chademo in it'll chuck you out at 80% but if you go back for more it'll take you (more slowly this time) up to 100%.

I would think then your swap over to type 2 approach would be unnecessary but have the same affect. I shall look for the fireball out west if i'm wrong! :)

Thanks, Dan - I might try that on the Falmouth GeniePoint...but perhaps after one or two more other responses!!

The pins are purposely designed so that this won't work as a safety precaution. It's so you can't daisy-chain type 2 cables. You either need a type 1 to type 2 cable and a type 2 socket, or just use Chademo. You might be a bit unpopular if there's someone waiting and you charge at a few kW on a 50kW charger

Back