Heated seat question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3409

Hi, I'm new here and it looks like I may have loads of questions as I am completely new to EV driving.
I picked up my Juro Commercial a month ago and I have to say that that I'm really happy with it so far.
I thought I would start with a fairly straightforward question. As the colder weather is approaching I have been using my heated seats, and they get really toasty which is nice. However unlike every other car I have had the heating seems to 'cycle', they get nice and hot for a few minutes and then go almost cold and then come on again after perhaps 5 minutes. This seems to happen in both normal and save modes.
I have always assumed it's something to do with coordinating with when the ICE is producing power but it seems to do it while running in EV mode.
The question is 'is this normal and do they all do it'?
I'm In Suffolk UK BTW.

I only use mine on the low setting.

They turn on, heat up and then stay at the same temperature.

The heating only turns off when I turn it off, typically when I'm still a couple of kilometers away from work.

I've never tried the high setting, perhaps that is different? I'm also conscious that we have different models.

Did I mention? I looooooooooooooove the seat heater, better than a trip to the physio!

:D

Thanks Andy. For many years I thought heated seats were a bit of flim-flam, until I got them! Finishing an outdoor job and getting into the car in the depths of winter is pure pleasure. :D
On high, mine get really hot which makes the difference when they turn off all the more marked. I didn't know if there was a cut-out that turned them off once it has detected that they were very hot.

There are some things in life better that heated seats :eek: Like a heated steering wheel! Love them ... don't like the one in the Mistsu as much as others 'cause the top part where I like to keep my hands (yes, I know all about the "right" position) isn't heated.

The manual suggests starting in high position to warm the seats up quickly and then switching down to low position once the seats are warm. Maybe there's a cut out or something if they get too hot leaving them on the high setting? I rarely use mine but when I have they seem to remain fairly constant on the low setting.

Thanks for the info guys. I will try it on low and see if it's more predictable. I haven't had the chance to travel in it as a passenger but when I do I will check to see whether the other seat does the same thing.

MikkB said:
The manual suggests starting in high position to warm the seats up quickly and then switching down to low position once the seats are warm. Maybe there's a cut out or something if they get too hot leaving them on the high setting? I rarely use mine but when I have they seem to remain fairly constant on the low setting.

Well if this is the case surely an Auto button would have been better.. Even my £10 slowcooker has one :)

bounderboy said:
MikkB said:

Well if this is the case surely an Auto button would have been better.. Even my £10 slowcooker has one :)
I wouldn't argue with you on that point :)

Topradio said:
Hi, I'm new here and it looks like I may have loads of questions as I am completely new to EV driving.
I picked up my Juro Commercial a month ago and I have to say that that I'm really happy with it so far.
I thought I would start with a fairly straightforward question. As the colder weather is approaching I have been using my heated seats, and they get really toasty which is nice. However unlike every other car I have had the heating seems to 'cycle', they get nice and hot for a few minutes and then go almost cold and then come on again after perhaps 5 minutes. This seems to happen in both normal and save modes.
I have always assumed it's something to do with coordinating with when the ICE is producing power but it seems to do it while running in EV mode.
The question is 'is this normal and do they all do it'?
I'm In Suffolk UK BTW.

Same here with 3 of the 4Work commercials. They behave the same in both low and high switch positions (green and orange LED's). Doesn't seem related to engine running - They just seem to cycle between hotter and not so hot.

Where are all you guys??? It has not been cold enough in Southern England to need seat heating at all this year! I don't think I've seen even light frost on the windscreen yet and I'm still going out in a lightweight gilet.

It was -3C last night here in North Yorkshire and we had several frosty mornings before Christmas. But granted, this winter hasn't really been that cold in the UK yet.

Heated seats are also great if you've got lower back ache though :)

richr said:
It was -3C last night here in North Yorkshire and we had several frosty mornings before Christmas. But granted, this winter hasn't really been that cold in the UK yet.

Ah, the far north! I don't think we have gone below 7C yet - was about 10 this morning.

maby said:
richr said:

Ah, the far north! I don't think we have gone below 7C yet - was about 10 this morning.

You're joking Maby, where are you? I'm in Newbury, admittedly out in the sticks (or as our Australian friends may call it "woop woop") and noticed there was ice on my PHEV Wednesday/Thrusday morning as I got on my bike to ride to work - lol, i'm so cheap i'd rather ride 35 miles than spend the £1.20 :)

VillageIdiotDan said:
maby said:

You're joking Maby, where are you? I'm in Newbury, admittedly out in the sticks (or as our Australian friends may call it "woop woop") and noticed there was ice on my PHEV Wednesday/Thrusday morning as I got on my bike to ride to work - lol, i'm so cheap i'd rather ride 35 miles than spend the £1.20 :)

Well, admittedly, my days of getting up early are done - I'm self employed now and work from home, so I seldom see 8am! :lol:

maby said:
Where are all you guys??? It has not been cold enough in Southern England to need seat heating at all this year! I don't think I've seen even light frost on the windscreen yet and I'm still going out in a lightweight gilet.

My preference is to be toasty warm (perhaps I'm a bit nesh) and if the OAT goes below about 10 degrees on goes the seat heating. On my last vehicle I used to run the heating flat out, as it had a conventional ICE it was like free heat :lol: but with the PHEV I don't run the climate higher than 24 as I assume it will burn electricity or force the ICE to turn on.

Wow 24 degrees! I don’t set climate control in cars above 19 as I find 20 too hot! :lol:

Topradio said:
maby said:

My preference is to be toasty warm (perhaps I'm a bit nesh) and if the OAT goes below about 10 degrees on goes the seat heating. On my last vehicle I used to run the heating flat out, as it had a conventional ICE it was like free heat :lol: but with the PHEV I don't run the climate higher than 24 as I assume it will burn electricity or force the ICE to turn on.
I've a nice Sauna - you would like that.

Craigy said:
Wow 24 degrees! I don’t set climate control in cars above 19 as I find 20 too hot! :lol:

Actually I don't like climate control, I have it on a number on vehicles and find that it actually feels cooler than the display says. I much prefer the old fashioned dial where I simply turn the heat up to a level that I am comfortable with.

jaapv said:
Topradio said:
maby said:

I've a nice Sauna - you would like that.

Perhaps I should go for a dip in a frozen lake after a drive :D

Back