Charging timer and preheat bug

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore said:
. . . logic might suggest that preheat prior to 0700 would take power from the mains up to 0700 then terminate the charger source of power. So again logic might suggest setting the charge timer to terminate somewhat later than 0700 on the basis that if you want to have a lie in on a Saturday you don't have to mess around with the timers and if you're not going out it'll cost you nothing anyway as the charge itself finished hours ago.

avensys said:
The setting I had previously tested was to allow charging between 1am and 10am, with the preheater to start at 7.45. In this setup the heater used just battery. Even manually selecting the heater didn't take power from the mains.

My guess is that once the battery is charged, it transitions to "waiting to charge" mode even though you are within the allowed charging schedule and doesn't allow mains to be used for preheat.
Interesting suggestion Jim, and it would be be great if it worked, but doesn't Mark's experience appear to suggest it won't? Back to the app!

You're right, it doesn't work...I tried it this morning.

It appears that once the car has completed its overnight charge it won't restart taking power from the mains if preheating or aircon is started within the charge timer period.

You still have to cancel the timer using the app or your key fob and then the car will take mains power if the heater / aircon is running.

It's a bit of a 'palavor', but still worth the minute or so watching the app clunking its way through the process to get into a nice warm car.

JimB

I use the 13A mains charger, and normally charge overnight on economy 7. I have set the charge timer period to begin at 2 AM, and finish at 8 PM. A full charge takes around 5 hours, so it's finished by 7 AM, within the cheap period. But I can pre-heat at 8 AM (using the App), and draw some of the power from the mains. And I can charge at any time up to 8 PM - this is useful for me, as, if it's sunny, I use power from the Solar PV array on the house roof, instead of overnight.
I simply have to ensure that I don't activate the charger until AFTER 8 PM if I plan to charge overnight, which will always be the case for the next few months. :)

Bah, I'm replying to this ancient topic, but just noticed the same bug.. Annoying.

Is it safe to use separate timer for the charger? Charger instruction says that you first connect to mains and then to the car, but a timer would do this in reverse..

I'm lucky enough that I'm usually charged before midnight, so I set a charge timer to come on at the same timer as the preheat timer, and it's set to carry on till midnight. I'm not sure how you'd do it for charging after midnight unless you set it exactly right...

I added a separate timer. Seems to work fine this way. So all car charge timers are disabled, but the power "on the wall" is only available at 00:00 - 15:00.. That way it doesn't start charging when I come from work after 16:00.

Does anyone know if this ever got fixed by Mitsubishi? I also have this bug and have reported it to Mitsubishi via their contact form.

Looking at the date of the first post in this thread, I just realised it was dated several months before my car was even registered! I can't believe that over 4 years later people are still having to find workarounds for this issue. Although given the reluctance of my dealer to fix the wifi security issue I would not be suprised if Mitsubishi fixed this issue a while ago but just haven't bothered to tell their customers.

Back