Sounds from mobile phone play only on the right speaker

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarjar26

I have a Google Pixel 3 connected via Bluetooth (also tried via usb port) and when i talk with someone or with Google, the sound comes only from the right speaker.

My Mitsubishi dealer told me that it's how it works. They have reported this behaviour to Mitsubishi but no fix is available yet.

Is it really the expected behaviour ? Is there a way to fix that ? Is it an issue that affect all phones ?

I was wondering about the same thing!

This only affects phone calls. Music plays fine on all speakers.

It may be to do with expecting only the passenger to be making/taking calls when driving - anyone know the legal position in Japan?

This is a big issue for me. With the iphone I used to have at least calls went through the USB which allowed both speakers to work. With Android Auto we are stuck with bluetooth audio for phone calls and that means one speaker only on the passenger side. Horrible sound quality! I can barely hear anything and the volume is very low. Very much a deal breaker for me. What in the world are those Japanese thinking???

willemb said:
This is a big issue for me. With the iphone I used to have at least calls went through the USB which allowed both speakers to work. With Android Auto we are stuck with bluetooth audio for phone calls and that means one speaker only on the passenger side. Horrible sound quality! I can barely hear anything and the volume is very low. Very much a deal breaker for me. What in the world are those Japanese thinking???

Not true at all. Android Auto ONLY works with USB and not Bluetooth. Either way you only get sound from the speaker on the passenger side which is crystal clear on both my 2014 and 2019 Phev.

CJ

Not true at all. Android Auto ONLY works with USB and not Bluetooth. Either way you only get sound from the speaker on the passenger side which is crystal clear on both my 2014 and 2019 Phev.

CJ
Most likely we are experiencing different firmware, hardware, vehicle years and android auto platforms. It is my experience using the stock Android Pie with the new Pixel 3 and a 2018 Outlander PHEV that Android Auto will only connect voice calls through bluetooth which means only through the passenger side speaker. Iphone 7 plus with the latest iOS connects voice calls through USB which uses both driver and passenger side speakers and provides a usable experience. Perhaps the Canadian Outlander is using a different firmware for the speaker setup. Regardless, I'm not the only one with this complaint. Please read the previous messages from other users in this thread.

Please see this reply from a google employee regarding how Android Auto defaults by using Bluetooth HFP (hands free protocol). https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nIs5RIQpqOqKI/?hl=en&msgid=1eK3DS8gBAAJ&gpf=d/msg/android-auto/s5RIQpqOqKI/1eK3DS8gBAAJ

This is a two part issue. 1) Mitsubishi limits bluetooth volume on my model and only plays through the passenger side speaker 2) Android Auto only uses Bluetooth HFP

Ideally, Mitsubishi will release firmware to allow Bluetooth HFP to play through both speakers and to not limit the volume. Also, ideally, Android Auto will allow the option to have calls routed through USB instead of only through Bluetooth.

I find it perfectly audible even at motorway speeds in heavy rain. Don’t see why it needs to come from any more than that single speaker. That’s on a pre-facelift 2015 UK model.

Perhaps the 2015 PHEV doesn't limit bluetooth audio in the same way as the 2018 PHEV.

I did notice when I drove a recent ASX as a loaner that the bluetooth handsfree was next to useless, as it was nearly inaudible.

willemb said:
I find it perfectly audible even at motorway speeds in heavy rain. Don’t see why it needs to come from any more than that single speaker. That’s on a pre-facelift 2015 UK model.

Perhaps the 2015 PHEV doesn't limit bluetooth audio in the same way as the 2018 PHEV.

Reading other threads on this you could well be correct. Perhaps when they changed from theo older CD/DAB MMCS to the CarPlay one they introduced this issue.

If you really want the phone audio on the driver side, you can go into setup on the MMCS and say it's a right hand drive car. I did this on mine and the audio did switch sides to the left. It didn't seem to really affect anything else, but making the change will erase all of your timers, radio presets, song/artist favorites, etc. It did not make the lane detection camera show the left side - it still shows the right side.

some said, with an iPhone, they have sound while calling form both sides.
I have only right side, like all others I know. (German car, left hand driver).
Also, using Navigation SW with Apple Carplay, the voice is on the left side.

I would realy love to have both on both speakers. For me, this is just SW design, so it should be changeable.

So please, can you write, which PHEV Modell, which device, which Firmware which Phone and OS, caller side, navi side. Many thanks!

Myself: 2019, SDA, 1.0, iPhone XS, 12.2, right, left

Back