mpg on long trips

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davestevens

Seriously considering a phev but a little confused about range and have been told different things.

My main daily use is the school run totalling around 40 miles per day and happy that I will make significant savings

However I am informed by the dealer for a run of say 200 miles I would achieve around 80 mpg combined electric/petrol and yet on a utube video it says around 40 mpg.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the true mpg would be approx.

Thanks

There are so many variables in the range estimates that it's hard to give you a definitive answer.

This link http://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/outlander_phev will give you a real life usage range.

My 'normal usage' is within the fully EV range and as such I'm happy with the PHEV.
Long distance I get about 7L/100km when the battery is drained.
I'm happy with this, as I'm enjoying the comforts of an EV drive train.
It might not be the best fuel economy for it's class on long distance, but on the grand scheme of things, I get now a lifetime average of 4.5 L/100km. Better than any non-PHEV alternative suitable for my usage. :cool:
And compared with my previous car at 13.2 L/100km, you might understand my contentment. :mrgreen:

YMMV
Phevy

Obviously it would depend on the type of roads, your driving style, and weather temperature. Best economy would be achieved on a hot day on roads with a moderate speed limit e.g. 50-60mph and with a light right foot. I do a 200 round trip with a charge at each end and the reported mpg is in the 70-80mpg range. I think that a 200 mile trip with only one charge would give you an mpg in the 50-60mpg range depending on all the above conditions. That is still very good for a large 4x4 vehicle.

Mine is a company car and I am a BIK refugee road warrior, I have had the car three years and have 91,000 miles showing.

I regularly drive between 200 and 500 miles in a day, my default settings are Save, B5 and Sonic Warning Off. I use my Sat Nav to regulate my speed on the motorway and activate cruise control as much as possible. An indicated 75mph is actually 71/72mph, which is perfect. All other speed limits are similarly followed. I would not class myself as aggressive, more polite, positive progress.

On motrorways and dual carriageways, where it is safe to do so, and traffic conditions allow, I would never contemplate driving long distances at anything less than the permitted maximum speed for that road.

Under these parameters 32mpg is normal, 35mpg is a top result.

Steel188 said:
On motrorways and dual carriageways, where it is safe to do so, and traffic conditions allow, I would never contemplate driving long distances at anything less than the permitted maximum speed for that road.

Many years ago, when finance was very tight, I took to driving on motorways at 50 mph to save money - which it did. However, the stress of being "tail-gated" by artics meant I gave it up after a few months :lol:

greendwarf said:
Steel188 said:

Many years ago, when finance was very tight, I took to driving on motorways at 50 mph to save money - which it did. However, the stress of being "tail-gated" by artics meant I gave it up after a few months :lol:

You make make substantial fuel savings by "drafting" lorries.

I’ve only had my (MY19) three months but am making a regular record of electricity and fuel consumed. I note the anticipated electric range when fully charged and use that to deduce the EV contribution. The range has been as high as 26miles but has fallen to only 14miles when cold. I’m optimistic that the electric range will increase considerably as the summer approaches.
I keep a record of all the fuel put in as well as the price of electricity. The overall cost per mile for me is around 12.5p and assumed overall consumption of petrol is 30mpg. Of course, all this depends on driving style and the split between EV and ICE, as well as the season. My actual petrol consumption is around 70mpg but it’s unreasonable to ignore the EV contribution.

Back