Potential New Owner Questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjh

Hi all, I'm considering a new Outlander PHEV (probably the 4hs) as a company car.

I'm sure very similar questions have been asked before, I've tried to browse various sections and pages and have found some bits, but not everything I'm wondering.

Would appreciate some input - my commute to work is around 18 miles, so 36 miles in a day normally. At a weekend I'd probably do a little more but not much, but would be able to charge overnight before any weekend travels.

I'm hopeful that there will be some charge point available at work - does this mean that 100% of my daily commute (assuming an overnight charge at home, and a charge during the day at work) would be electric - assuming a decent outside temperature and say an average speed of 65 mph?

Are there electricity plans for the home that are better suited to charging a car overnight - this isn't something i've ever needed to look into before, but it seems sensible to consider?

Every now and then (maybe once every 1-2 months) I'll make a longer journey (probably 400 miles round trip with only a charge before leaving) - to keep it simple to compare with other vehicles (I appreciate there is never a correct answer to this) what MPG would I expect with say an average speed of 75 mph; is 30 mpg about right?

I currently drive a diesel, averaging about 47 mpg, there will be savings on the company car tax side of things, I just wondered if there's more savings to be had overall with my usage, or whether it would average out and be on par with what I currently spend on fuel.

Thanks in advance.

Yes 18 miles should be within range, particularly with the (slightly) larger battery in the new model. It might depend on how many hills there are in the way, but at the very least you should get 90% of the way there. I expect about 35 mpg cruising at 75 mph, once the electricity is exhausted.

I can't help you with the electricity plan - but for me (charging the car most days) the usage, while significant, is not the largest part of my electricity bill (I cook electric and run a pool pump during the summer). Most off peak plans charge a higher rate (than a standard plan) during 'peak' hours.

"an average speed of 75 mph;" would be illegal on any roads in the UK. If that's where you live why would you choose a heavy SUV and drive it at speeds where the fuel consumption would be poor? Remember this car has a relatively small petrol tank so, if you speed, you will just spend more time stopping off at petrol stations along the way.

ChrisMiller said:
Yes 18 miles should be within range, particularly with the (slightly) larger battery in the new model. It might depend on how many hills there are in the way, but at the very least you should get 90% of the way there. I expect about 35 mpg cruising at 75 mph, once the electricity is exhausted.

I can't help you with the electricity plan - but for me (charging the car most days) the usage, while significant, is not the largest part of my electricity bill (I cook electric and run a pool pump during the summer). Most off peak plans charge a higher rate (than a standard plan) during 'peak' hours.

Thank you

rgilyead said:
"an average speed of 75 mph;" would be illegal on any roads in the UK. If that's where you live why would you choose a heavy SUV and drive it at speeds where the fuel consumption would be poor? Remember this car has a relatively small petrol tank so, if you speed, you will just spend more time stopping off at petrol stations along the way.

Well that's my question really, if I happen to go on a longer journey and get to a decent speed how bad is the MPG, I guess an "average of 75 mph" was misleading, my average speed over my last 25,000 miles is 35 mph.

If I got lucky and happened to be able to cruise along at 70 mph on a motorway, what is a likely mpg?

Thanks

My average at 70mph is about 40mpg based on what the car tells me. I do a 200 mile journey with a charge at both ends and it says 60-70mpg overall. It will vary based on driving style. Hope that helps.

My daily (weekday) run involves about 100km on the freeway at 125kmh (78mph) and my average mpg(Imp) is 30 in cold weather, and about 36 in warmer weather. By the time I reach the freeway, I've already used up my charge, so I do the trip in charge mode, and have a nearly full charge on arrival at the end of that leg to use in that town, then do the same on the return trip.

sjh said:
Would appreciate some input - my commute to work is around 18 miles, so 36 miles in a day normally. At a weekend I'd probably do a little more but not much, but would be able to charge overnight before any weekend travels.

I'm hopeful that there will be some charge point available at work - does this mean that 100% of my daily commute (assuming an overnight charge at home, and a charge during the day at work) would be electric - assuming a decent outside temperature and say an average speed of 65 mph?

Hi sjh,

If your commute is approx 18 miles and at a average speed of 65 mph I think you will only travel roughly about 14 miles EV (in good warmer weather and a new battery) and the rest petrol. Now at that speed, every work day, you will accelerate wear (or degradation) on your drive battery IMO if travelling in EV mode.

The PHEV may not be the right car for your purposes which is more suited to EVing around the suburbs at local suburb's speeds of 35 mph or less IMHO (Edit. With the occasional long distance Hybrid drive).

Regards Trex.

I am a UK BIK refugee company car driver and have covered 94,000 in the last 37 months.

At your commute speeds, expect the battery to be gone in less than 10 miles IMO.

The car is a supreme motorway cruiser, indicated 75mph is a sat nav confirmed 71mph in my car. With cruise control on, late at night when I only have to slow down for the roadworks, I get 35mpg. I have never seen better than 38mpg.

I use pre-heat powered by petrol derived charge as I cannot charge at work anymore and have never been able to charge at home. I never turn the climate control off and use the heated seats as well as I see no point in having a £35K car and needing to wear thermals to drive it.

People like me are not who this car is aimed at, but who cares, the only thing that's broken in all those miles is the charging port cover (fixed under warranty when the car was 5 weeks old), it is extremely comfortable for my very regular long journeys, it's big enough for work and private needs, has more than enough power for all UK roads and the view over the bonnet always puts a smile on my face - I just wish it had a 60-70 litre fuel tank......but I can't have everything :D

If you are trying to minimise the cost of ownership, or even cost per mile, I’m sure there are much cheaper solutions than a PHEV but I’m not sure how BIK would skew the calculations as it did not apply to me.

Try not to be influenced by high mpg figures as they are meaningless. If you keep your mileage down and rarely fill with petrol you could achieve astronomical mpg figures but the electricity has to come from somewhere. It would help if you are not charged for the electricity you consume at work, of course.

Overnight economy tariffs would bring the marginal cost of electricity down but there may be a standing charge to consider (or higher day-time rates to off-set). You are only going to put around 10kWh in per charge. In the UK, that’s about £1.50 worth of electricity. 5 times a week, 50 weeks a year, up to £400pa. Not much in the scheme of things. I wouldn’t bother.

The decisions used to make a purchase can be very personal. Some think they might save the planet… For me, it was to try something different and, so far, it has been. No regrets.

twosout said:
If you are trying to minimise the cost of ownership, or even cost per mile, I’m sure there are much cheaper solutions than a PHEV but I’m not sure how BIK would skew the calculations as it did not apply to me.
Quite a lot! As an example my previous car was a Volvo V70 D4 SE Lux, and I save over £200 a month in BIK alone with the 2019 4HS. Based on my usage pattern when unleaded fuel and electricity costs are taken in to account, I save £25-30 a month on fuel running costs.

So combined it's similar to a £5k pa pay rise.

sjh said:
Are there electricity plans for the home that are better suited to charging a car overnight - this isn't something i've ever needed to look into before, but it seems sensible to consider?

Yes, Ecotricity, has discounts for its customers on the Rapid chargers at motorway service areas etc. Octopus Energy has a specific EV tariff and, of course, the standard Economy 7 will save you money depending on how much you use the higher day time rate.

I use EDF 20:20 tariff as I am rarely in during the day and the "cheap" rate is longer than Economy 7 - 9pm to 7am and all day weekends. :mrgreen:

Back