Roof racks for 2013 Japanese import

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzybuns

I'm in New Zealand, and I've recently bought a 2013 Outlander PHEV. It's a Japanese import. I took it to a roof rack place to get one a rack fitted. It doesn't come with the front-to-back bars each side to attach the bars to. Instead it has a Rubber liner running front to back each side flush with the roof. Under this are some clamp attachments but no pin holes.

The guy seemed to know his stuff- and after some research told me there are no roof racks that will attach to this available outside of Japan.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know how to get some bars that fit this model?

Thx
Fuzzy

If you haven't already, go to a Thule dealer.

Their racks are sold as components and can fit any car.

(one component connect to the car, second is the vertical posts, third is the bars).

(I believe that they also make most integrated racks for new cars too.)

Actually the roof racks sold by Mitsubishi are rebranded Thule racks. But they fit to the roof bars that are standard on 2013/2014 cars -and following years for that matter.
Do you have a Japanese base model with Lancer-type roof attachments by any chance?

https://shop.mitsubishi-motors.nl/product/accessoires/imperiaal-aluminium-104-x-132-cm

Lancer has this type of attachment:

https://roofrack.com.au/product/mitsubishi-lancer-4dr-hatch-cj-0908on-rhino-vortex-roof-racks-pr/

There are mount points under the rubber strip (you can pull it out to see them) but I'm not sure of the right mount kit. I'm in NZ with a Japanese 2013 premium model, interested in getting some roof racks too, not so keen on risking the wrong mounts.

aotearoasteve said:
There are mount points under the rubber strip (you can pull it out to see them) but I'm not sure of the right mount kit. I'm in NZ with a Japanese 2013 premium model, interested in getting some roof racks too, not so keen on risking the wrong mounts.

I've got same - fixed points under a strip - I am also in NZ. Mitsubishi dealer mentioned they can get MZ314636 @ NZD$570+GST. I'm still not sure this is the right kit, and don't know whether my accessories would fit... Please share your experience!

Mitsubishi dealer brought in the MZ314636 $570+GST racks in, but these were for different mounts - ones that bolt-on with bolts.

I'm heading to try Whispbars (aka. Yakima) today. Apparently they have some brackets that "might" fit.... let's see how that goes.

Hi all

I have just discovered the same issue on my 2013 japanese import. Did anyone find a solution?

I am getting in touch with mitsubishi to see if i can mount roof rails. Surely there is a solution.

Just found this link and i have emailed the retailer. Ill post any further info i receive but the product description seems promising.

https://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=INMIOUT13

I'm in NZ, also with a 2013 Japanese import. Did anyone find a good answer? I'm guessing not as the thread went quiet a few months ago.

Finally got it sorted.

I got a pair of ProRack S-Wing bars with fitting kit K537. The fitting kit has little metal pieces that hook into the insertion points on the track on the car. But they actually wouldn't quite go in - I had to tweak the ends that hook in to bend then out by about 1mm before they would go in. I just squeezed them in a vice.
I heard from the dealer I bought them from that ProRack know about this issue and said that it is possible to make them fit by bending them like that - but that it invalidates the warranty. Here's hoping I don't have to make a warranty claim. They feel absolutely solid on the car, so I'm not worried.

I ended up with (I think) the same resolution.

I couldn't find a K537 fitting kit (Covid supply chain issues) but the Mt Maunganui Roof Rack Centre (New Zealand) installed Prorack through bars for $550, which is pretty close to what I'd get the racks and fitting kit for anyway, but with a warranty on the install.

He said that they used the previous model's fitting kit (which is the K537) but it wasn't officially supported. I didn't see if they had to modify the clips.

I just installed the S27 Aero bars and K677 mount kit. The car has those same flat brackets but got around that by drilling and tapping an M6 hole in the brackets to fit the M6 grub screws. Fits nicely and can be removed easily.

Back