Tesla 3 launch

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamerg said:
maby said:
jkh112 said:
I put down a deposit on launch day.
My PHEV goes back in the second half of 2017 so I hope the gap between them is not too long.
Not sure why some are saying a tesla 3 is not a competitor/ replacement for a PHEV as it is with me.

The lack of a petrol engine, surely? I can drive my PHEV from London to the far side of Russia if I want, never having to stop for more than a few minutes to refuel and never having to look on the map to check if there will be anywhere to charge before I grind to a halt. That may not matter to you, but it is a common consideration for serious 4WD users. OK, I have never actually driven to the far side of Russia, but I have spent long periods off-road in the Pyrenees, Picos and other relatively unpopulated parts of Europe, living out of tents with no access to mains electricity.

I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of PHEV users aren't "serious 4WD users" though are they? I'd imagine most (like me) live in urban areas, are interested in electric motoring / environmental responsibility, and mainly use the PHEV for short distance journeys (thereby making the most of the limited EV range) but like the lack of range anxiety for occasional longer journeys.

A pure EV (that can be specced as 4WD) with a 200+ mile range and access to Tesla superchargers for long distance journeys at the same price point as the PHEV is going to be serious competition for those drivers I would have thought...

I was responding to your final sentence which questions why any PHEV owner would not jump at a Tesla. Until it is as easy and quick to recharge a pure EV as it is to fill the tank of a petrol car, there will be a significant market for cars that can burn petrol - the PHEV gives something close to the best of both worlds.

jamerg said:
jaapv said:
Well, in that case, what is wrong with the BMW i3? With or without range extender.

You've answered your own question - the need for the range extender. Plus the Tesla has more room in the back for the kids (the dog would still need the PHEV though!).

Oh, and while this isn't necessarily rational, the Tesla's a lot more attractive/ desirable in my view. Why do you think they've got 325,000 deposits (and counting) ;)
Well, with a theoretical 200 miles - in practice about 150, I guess- and still something like half an hour for an 80% fast charge, it does not sound too attractive to me. But it is a pretty shiny thing - sure to generate interest.
The BMW comes with or without a range-extender, btw.

I was responding to your final sentence which questions why any PHEV owner would not jump at a Tesla. Until it is as easy and quick to recharge a pure EV as it is to fill the tank of a petrol car, there will be a significant market for cars that can burn petrol - the PHEV gives something close to the best of both worlds.[/quote]

Different poster maby. And he / she didn't quite put it that way - they said that the Tesla is a potential competitor for the PHEV, which is rather different from questioning why any PHEV owner would not jump at a Tesla.

More generally I think you're both right. As this thread shows, clearly some PHEV owners are going to considering switching to a Tesla, and in that sense it is a competitor for the PHEV, but equally clearly a small pure electric sedan is not going to meet the needs of others who presently drive a PHEV. A Tesla model X might, but I'm sure it's out of the budget for most of us!

jamerg said:
A Tesla model X might, but I'm sure it's out of the budget for most of us!

And still doesn't have the load carrying capacity - bet it can't get 4 tyres in the back without folding the seats like the PHEV :?

There's quite a few Teslas in Australia, but they all suffer from the same problem.

Want to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne (or vice versa) ? Put the car on a trailer.

At this stage, at least the last time I checked, they can only be charged up along the East Coast (except for home charging stations of course).

The PHEV is the perfect solution for me. 99% of the time, I only use the car to commute to work, and recharge twice a week.

A few times per year I make longer trips to visit friends locally (more than 100km away) and I can drive there with no hassles.

Similarly, if I want to drive interstate, still no dramas. Melbourne is an easy eight hour drive away.

Not to mention, towing my little boat trailer, boat ramps etc.

I'm not sure that I'll ever have an all-electric vehicle. For me, that would require me to have two vehicles, or frequently hire cars. Neither of which appeal.

AndyInOz said:

I'm not sure that I'll ever have an all-electric vehicle. For me, that would require me to have two vehicles, or frequently hire cars. Neither of which appeal.

I'll have a pure EV when the technology and infrastructure catch up to the point where I can drive it all over Europe without ever having to stop for more than five minutes per day to recharge or having to detour more than five miles from my route to find a place where I can charge. Given that I'm 60, I suspect that I will never have a pure EV...

maby, with your willingness to help saving the planet, and your way of thinking, you do not have to tell us that you are 60+ :lol:

We ordered one on launch day. A replacement for the 2006 Prius to run alongside the phev so we can choose the vehicle according to how far we are travelling. Will be perfect for OH's commute...
Roll on 2019!
H

MartinH said:
maby, with your willingness to help saving the planet, and your way of thinking, you do not have to tell us that you are 60+ :lol:
To us 60+ saving the planet has not much relevance any more - it is the younger generation that should be worried.

jaapv said:
MartinH said:
To us 60+ saving the planet has not much relevance any more - it is the younger generation that should be worried.

If I thought that anything I could do would make a measurable contribution towards "saving the planet", I would seriously consider it. However, it seems clear to me that every commercially extractable gallon of hydrocarbon is going to be burned - by the Third World, if not by us - so I don't see the purpose of wrecking our economies just to let us feel smug.

As it happens I believe that making our economies less environment-destructive can only strengthen them long-term.

jaapv said:
As it happens I believe that making our economies less environment-destructive can only strengthen them long-term.

In the long term, perhaps - but we have some very serious short term problems and we need to address them now in order to have the money to be able to address the long term problems later.

I understand why those of you who go off-road, or carry lots of cargo, or regularly go long distances would not consider an electric vehicle ( for the foreseeable future).

But I do not go off-road, I do not carry lots of cargo and I have other cars for really long distance travel. I use my PHEV as an urban commuter vehicle with some medium range trips to clients, shops, clubs etc. All of my current use could easily be done in an electric vehicle such as the Tesla 3.
Just because I think this would work for me does not mean I think it would work for everyone.
So if your personal use does not fit the profile for a tesla 3 then stop trying to discredit the vehicle, you do sound a lot like those who try to discredit the PHEV just because the diesel version suits their personal use better.

I don't see any vehicle that can do everything, specially for everybody all the time.
For me, the choice of the Phev was because it ticket more of the boxes than any other car (fossil or Ev) at the time
If the tesla 3 had been available it would have ticked a few more. And missed on some others. As others had said, if it existed her in the UK and I could afford a X, I would have looked

I put down my deposit on a 3 the morning after the launch.
In 2 (or 3) years, when it actually exists, I will decide at that time how close it (or any other of the promised cars from Audi, porches or anyone else) are suitable to my needs and budget (and hmrc Rules)

If the other half wins the lottery perhaps I might get her to buy me a model X p100d
But most likely is that I hope to be able to afford a mid spec model 3

maby said:
jaapv said:
MartinH said:

If I thought that anything I could do would make a measurable contribution towards "saving the planet", I would seriously consider it. However, it seems clear to me that every commercially extractable gallon of hydrocarbon is going to be burned - by the Third World, if not by us - so I don't see the purpose of wrecking our economies just to let us feel smug.

Whilst such cynicism is understandable, it is the cumulative insignificant actions of individuals that DO have an effect - especially on urban air quality here in the UK, which apparently kills lots of over-60s every year :(

Hi everyone

That's it i've done it after 3 years of waiting I've ordered my Model 3. Can't wait for delivery.
If anyone is interested you can use my referral code here - Free 5000 miles of Supercharging
It gives you (and me) 5000 miles of free supercharging for 6 months if ordered before 28/5/19.
My wife will be taking the PHEV.

Herbie

Back