Windshield Replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmtxphev

The windshield of my '18 GT was hit by a rock and needed to be replaced. I called my local dealer and was told they use a local auto glass shop for glass replacement. I called the glass company and arranged to get my windshield replaced, which they did using an aftermarket unit. I took the vehicle to my dealer to get the cameras for the FCM and LDW recalibrated. The dealer can't get the recalibration to work. They called Mitsubishi technical support and we told they (Mitsu techical) had seen this before and the only fix is to use genuine Mitsubishi glass.

I'm just a little skeptical about this and I am wondering if anyone else had their windshield replaced? If so, did you have similar issues?

FCM shouldn't be affected. It uses the Radar system behind the grille. LDW being off is no surprise It uses the camera module behind the mirror. Any misalignment in sticking it on or a windscreen curvature out of tolerance will throw it off. It is never a good idea to use aftermarket parts for these things. Better let your dealer do it, they can take responsibility for proper fitment.

For modern vehicle with camera, never use aftermarket stuff. You should have claimed thru insurance & have dealer do it. My deductible is $500 so it's a no brainer.

Just to close out the story, my insurance did pay to replace the aftermarket windshield with an OEM windshield. Once the OEM windshield was in, the FCS and LDW sensors/cameras calibrated with no problem. Best part was my insurance applied the money I paid for the aftermarket windshield toward my deductible so I didn't have to double pay.

In Montreal they charge 2070 dollars CND to replace my 2018 windshield, and I do not have a camera. I contacted a shop in Plattsburg NY and they charge $1989. USD plus tax. I do not comprehend why this windshield is so expensive.

They simply are expensive bits of glass - my 15 year old Subaru's was £2000 if you paid full price. My wife's VW van one would be £2200. These are nothing special, just plain glass with a slight tint.

Luckily here in the UK virtually nobody does pay full price as our mandatory car insurance almost always includes windscreen cover. So you just pay an excess of about £70 for a new windscreen if yours gets broken.

Here in Poland I did change the windshield for under 200 euros (new windows + a good mounting service that took 30min or less)

The official dealer was quoting me around 1000 euro if I recall right (they never seen me again, I moved to a different official dealer which is more economical and professional too)

Anyhow, my car has no LWD ... so only system stuck on the window is the rain detector, which is working good, before and after the windshield replacement.

Actually my PHEV was having already and aftermarket windshield when I bought 2nd hand, somebody in Netherlands crack it before and replaced in a "cheap" way.

Actually the windshield mounting is looking much better now then it was before.

I'm still amazed how it is possible that some services can source a new windshield and mount it for under 200 euros (it is only 30min job for 2 people) ... while official work can cost 10 times more ... I guess .. this is because insurance normally pay for this job .. and people don't care much to check the insurance costs ... so there is a market for overcharge in this arena

Steel188 said:
Trust me, UK insurance companies never overpay for anything, they will have screwed the price so low that the company fitting it will make almost nothing.

Really? My quote for front end damage is for a "private" customer only. If I put it through my insurance it will cost them (and me eventually) much more. :eek:

There are at least 2 different types of windscreen and AutoGlass should have ordered the correct one by referring to the VIN or by their own experience. Fit the wrong type and the LDW will not work. I know this because I made 2 visits to AutoGlass before they got the right screen.

Back