Does North American Outlander EVSE support 240V

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoca

Just picked up a 2018 Outlander PHEV!

I have a question about the charger/EVSE that comes with the Canadian 2018 model: does anyone know if it can work with a 240V given the right adapter (ie can it be safely connected to a dryer plug with an adapter and charge at 240V)?

My Volt EVSE that came with the car can do this, even though it officially only supports (it is labelled) 120V.

Thanks!

Welcome whoca,

The supplied charger with the car is for 120V. (It's nick-named a granny charger, as it's slow (max 12A at 120V.) It's meant for overnight charging and in a pinch, when no L2 charger is available.
But if you buy any Level 2 EVSE charger that can supply 16A, it will be connectable from 240V.
I bought this one "EV Charger Level 2 EVSE PHEV 200V-240V 16A 25ft 7.62 Meters Cord SAE J1772 NEMA 6-20P Plug Electric Vehicle Car Charger" (from Amazon) and it works very well. It is available with various plugs; I did not get a plug as I wired it fixed to the electrical panel. It's a simple charger with no display to tell you how much the PHEV did charge. For more money you can get ones that provide more bells and whistles.

Most of Europe is 220-240V, so 10A (2.5kW) granny chargers are everywhere here. Not sure that there are many 16A grannies though: they'd need a special plug and socket, so it's often easier to get a charge point and cable

ThudnBlundr said:
..., so it's often easier to get a charge point and cable
The OP specificity asked for the N.A. option.
240V is here L2 charging territory and our chargers come with a fixed cable with J1772 connector. And can have varying plugs to connect to the 240V outlets.

Thanks, phevy

Thanks for everyone’s input. Yes, I’m in Canada so the granny EVSE options are often 120V. I was wondering whether the ones that come with North American vehicles happened to support up to 240V given

I have a 40A level 2 charger at home I got when I purchased my Chevy Volt and I was thinking about installing a 240V outlet in the garage and use a cheaper 240V EVSE (16A or so) to charge the Outlander.

It sounds like buying a $200CAD one should do the trick.

I bought the Duosida one from Amazon this past spring. It will run on either 125 volt (with adapter pigtail plug that is included) or on 240 volt. I haven't yet installed the 240 volt service, but will for this winter. I have run the unit against a std 15 amp 125 volt plug in the garage, with which I used a volt/amp/kw measuring device i got at Cdn Tire a few years ago. IF the car is fully discharged, on 125 volt service line, it will pull a max of 15 amps, which declines automatically as the car battery goes up in charge state. Interestingly is has never (yet) flipped the circuit breaker in the panel)
I'm going to the 220 volt level just to get faster charging (rarely needed) but more importantly to get to run in in car heater longer in cold weather without the apparent impact to battery charge level when it's only getting max 12 amp @ 120 volt with the OEM granny charger.

Back