Performance on Road Trips

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plannersteve

I'm getting close to buying a 2018 GT. I've gotten to test drive one and was satisfied with the ride. One concern I have is how will this vehicle perform on Western US road trips. Most of my driving will be in EV around town, but I do also take trips where the speed limit is 80 mph and I want to drive that fast. Could be 95 degrees out (AC on) or -10 F heading to Jackson Hole. Are there any limitations with this vehicle being driven fast for hours at a time? Thanks.

Your usage sounds similar to mine, mostly local EV and the occasional long trip. Works fine. One thing to be aware of is the relatively small gas tank, so you may need to stop more often than you are used to, or plan ahead if the gas stations are infrequent. I don't find this a problem, but some do. Also, if you have a mountainous end to the tip, it's considered wise to preserve battery using SAVE to help get up the hills - especially if towing.

My daily drive has me on the freeway for over 100km (65mi) at 125kmh (82mph), and the vehicle is not straining at all. My range, without overnight charging, is usually 500km (300mi). After 13 months and 60,000km of this, it still feels like a new car. It is also very capable in snow and rain, extremely sure footed, and equally at home on gravel logging roads and trails, limited only by body clearance and tire type. The weather here in BC ranges through the same temps as yours, and I do lose some range in very cold conditions, with my average mpg dropping from 40 to 33 when its near or below freezing.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Welcome !

Here is a topic the STS134 and I discussed about road trip in California.

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3980&start=50

IMO, it is really nice in high way.

Post questions,

Tai

I did a 700km road trip today, in 10 hrs, with one stop for fuel at 400km, and a stop for lunch and dinner included in that time . It was all in mountain country, with elevation changes from sea level to over 6,000 ft. Speeds varied from70-80 km/hr on the winding 2 lanes, to a max of 160, avg. 125, on the multilane freeway section. I ran in charge mode most of the time, to have adequate e-power for the climbs, and still averaged 36mpg(Imp gal.). That would be about 30 mpg/US gal.

Not bad at all for an SUV of that size and comfort.

BCbackroader said:
I did a 700km road trip today, in 10 hrs, with one stop for fuel at 400km, and a stop for lunch and dinner included in that time . It was all in mountain country, with elevation changes from sea level to over 6,000 ft. Speeds varied from70-80 km/hr on the winding 2 lanes, to a max of 160, avg. 125, on the multilane freeway section. I ran in charge mode most of the time, to have adequate e-power for the climbs, and still averaged 36mpg(Imp gal.). That would be about 30 mpg/US gal.

Not bad at all for an SUV of that size and comfort.

Interesting stuff. Similar results/sentiments from a 180 mile trip on Sunday. 39mpg, battery was empty when I left. Didn't use charge button as largely flat terrain, motorway 70% of the distance. We were loaded to the gunnels with kiddy stuff. I do notice fuel economy takes a big ol' hit between 65 mph and 80 mph

Air resistance* is proportional to speed squared, so will increase by ~50% between 65 & 80 mph.

* as is rolling resistance, but that's more complicated :)

So I bought the 2018 Outlander PHEV GT. I had a 1700 mile road trip home from where I bought it. I did no charging on this trip. It was all interstate highway in the US West with some mountain sections. I normally was driving at 75-80 mph (130 km/hr) on cruise control with the mode set to charge or save. For the trip I averaged 24.0 mpg. I suspect that is about as low as one could expect to see given the speed.

I only had one section of mountain road where the battery level was very low, but was still able to maintain speed.

Now I'm home and plugged in. Which is really the reason I bought this vehicle.

ChrisMiller said:
Air resistance* is proportional to speed squared, so will increase by ~50% between 65 & 80 mph.

Thanks Chris, that's really interesting stuff for a layman. I'll be the one driving at 50mph now! :)

VillageIdiotDan said:
ChrisMiller said:

Thanks Chris, that's really interesting stuff for a layman. I'll be the one driving at 50mph now! :)

Wouldn't recommend it. I did try this 20 years ago to the frustration of my family and other road users. Also very scary being tailgated by trucks on the motorway. :shock:

greendwarf said:
VillageIdiotDan said:
ChrisMiller said:

Wouldn't recommend it. I did try this 20 years ago to the frustration of my family and other road users. Also very scary being tailgated by trucks on the motorway. :shock:

Hah, true. I don't get to drive the PHEV much now that the baby has come but that will change when the wife goes back to work. For now I either use my bike which I've just converted to an ebike or my wife's SLK, pootling along keeping pace with the trucks for 15 miles of motorway enjoying the pace of life.

Man, if you`re really interested in buying this type of car, you`d better have a test drive to feel what does it mean. I had thoughts about this car, but after I rent Lincoln Navigator in Easirent Miami near the airport, I`m in love with this car now.

RobertHall said:
Man, if you`re really interested in buying this type of car, you`d better have a test drive to feel what does it mean. I had thoughts about this car, but after I rent Lincoln Navigator in Easirent Miami near the airport, I`m in love with this car now.

Erm, not sure if that's a joke but you're comparing a car that's averaging 16.1mpg real world against a car that can achieve up to 10x that (over it's admittedly short range).

RobertHall said:
I’m all for testdriving. I did with the Mitsubishi and decided to order it. Smooth and silent drive, I love it!

Although I must say that I’m a bit worried about the battery degredation. That is something I would have liked to know prior to ordering the car. My daily drive is longer than the full electric range, but I do expect to cover 60-70% of my driving distance solely on battery power. If the degredation is high I won’t be doing the environment a favour and the fuel costs will increase.
This will of course also be the case at road trips when the electric range drops.

Could have found out before buying the car of course, so only myself to blame for not doing enough research. We will see, 8 years warranty or 160.000km (so mine will run out of warranty in 3 years :roll: ). Will just install the watchdog, keep the dealer close and enjoy the great ride wile I’m at it

I'll dont write nothing new for anybody, just like KWh spell before me:
...so only myself to blame for not doing enough research.

I also would like to give you a little advice. If you're going on a long-distance trip, try to think about it. Like, it seems you can break the tires or out of gas in the middle of nowhere - who knows we are all just a humans (and time to time not so smart like we like to think about ourselves). Although, check that site with a review of solar generators for car batteries charging. I've bought the Suaoki Versatile 18W after a not so good situation with me, my car, no gas and died battery on my phone... Cool experience))

Back