Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the Outlander PHEV a good choice for me?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:41 am 

Hi all,
New here, and considering a second hand 2017 Outlander LS ZK PHEV. I need a fuel efficient SUV or at least compact SUV. I have a bit of a commute to work - 35km (21 miles), 3/4 of which is on a freeway at 80-100km/h. Currently there's no charging options at work, but that may change in the next few years.

Not sure if the PHEV will be a good choice for me. Can I drive at 100km/h in pure EV mode? Will the drive home after work counteract any savings from the trip in the morning (will charge overnight).

Also does anyone know if that model in Australia has the ability to set the climate control by timer? So I can get started in a not-freezing-cold car on Winter mornings?

Cheers,
Ed.

Post subject: Re: Is the Outlander PHEV a good choice for me?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 am 

You'd only be able to drive to work on EV as you're about at the limit of EV only range there. But it'd still be a big saving over just petrol/diesel for a big car it's not actually that bad on fuel economy. Yes you can do highway speeds on EV - it works up to about 130kmph with no problems.

Post subject: Re: Is the Outlander PHEV a good choice for me?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:35 am 

Be aware that 15 miles at 80 to 100 kmH will bring your available battery down. I'd be surprised if you'll get to work without getting into petrol usage. Depends on lots of factors, driving style being probably the one that will have most impact. However that's not to say it won't be the car for you, especially if you can nudge your workplace into fitting a charge point! As said, even if you do use petrol, it's not bad, consumption-wise, for a medium/large SUV.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?