Modding the PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, stevewa, as far as I know the suspension of our vehicles should be identical. My ride, for the previous 4 years, was a Chev TrailBlazer EXT (long wheelbase, 3rd row seats), which was a bit soft for backroad adventures, but with a 2.5" lift kit, and rear suspension upgraded with progressive rate springs from a Z71 Tahoe and BDS shocks, became a very capable logging road/fire trail explorer.

I didn't buy the Outlander for it's off road abilities, but did expect a little more from a vehicle sold as an SUV, as that designation implies a reasonable level of off pavement usefulness.

I guess our respective expectations of the PHEV are from quite different perspectives. I must say that the prime reason for my purchase, increased fuel economy, has been more than met, with my fuel savings being enough to cover the payment on the vehicle each month. I just have to be mindful of the obstacles that I encounter on my backroad adventures, and know when it's time to give up and turn around. ;-)

Indeed, my purpose is to have a plugin that's comfortable on longer trips and can also manage towing our popup trailer. So far we are not putting many miles on the clock (just over 2000 since late January) and hope to keep this vehicle at least as long as its predecessor (2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, which was not as comfortable and barely had the capacity to tow our 990 pound trailer).

Figuring in the plugin miles we are ahead of the efficiency of the Ford, (gas alone is a little worse but the Ford is a smaller, less capable ride) and the comfort and safety factors are leagues ahead.

My next major quandry is likely to be what to do about winter tires and wheels. Will probably stand pat for this coming season, but it really depends on Mother Nature.

Regards,

Plenty of threads on the subject of winter tyres on the forum. I've decided to replace the wheel changes with all-season tyres: Vredestein Quatrac 5.

PeterK said:
Dear all
I was in Norway last year and saw Outlander PHEV with a kind of body kit, fancy wheels and an additional lightbar under the bumper.
I'll try to upload the pictures for your inspiration ;)

I got this body kit factory fitted on my 2016 JDM outlander phev

some of her pics

20160719_144819_zps1jfp4e8x.jpg

20160719_144835_zpsuskhkpsu.jpg

20160719_144901_zpsnek6kepz.jpg

PeterK said:
Dear all
I was in Norway last year and saw Outlander PHEV with a kind of body kit, fancy wheels and an additional lightbar under the bumper.
I'll try to upload the pictures for your inspiration ;)

How big are those wheels?

20"?
Tire size 255 x 40 x 20?

Wondering about doing something similar... but not sure what would fit.

I have a PHEV'16 model, so no electric handbrake.

greendwarf said:
I've always thought a plywood bonnet with a clear lacquer would look got on almost any car :geek:

Lots of plywood in ours! As commercials, they came with a ridiculously feeble steel bulkhead a mere 6" high, between the front cabin and the loadspace. Totally hopeless for commercial vehicles, and of questionable acceptance to insurance companies. So from new, our 3 x 4Works got bespoke 1" thick plywood bulkheads made and fitted to keep the stuff in the back, in the back, should any sudden stoppages occur. Faced in black vinyl in the front to match the rest of the trim, edged in aluminium, then fitted with useful fixtures like document holders. In the back, the plywood is painted to match the back end colours, then all the requisite working bits and pieces fitted - Fire extinguishers, first aid kits, PPE hangers, paper tower dispensers, tool chests etc. Add some additional LED loadspace lights, replace the tiddly plastic cargo tie down lashing points with manly stainless steel ones, and the modding is complete! Oh, nearly forgot about the aluminium edging strips fitted to the side of the load platform just inside the side doors to stop things rolling off and into the door pockets on corners. How Mitsubishi though that nothing was needed for that is beyond me!

windymiller said:
Oh, nearly forgot about the aluminium edging strips fitted to the side of the load platform just inside the side doors to stop things rolling off and into the door pockets on corners. How Mitsubishi though that nothing was needed for that is beyond me!

Or larger items ready to fall on to the ground when you open the door! :cry:

Mitsubishi should provide an attendant doing an end-of-journey routine - "Please remain seated with your seat belts fastened until the vehicle has come to a complete standstill and the Ready light is extinguished. Take care when opening doors or boot, as items may fall out. Thank you for driving Mitsubishi and we hope to see you again on our next trip"

Anyone tried this kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Kit-for-MMC-Outlander-Lancer-ASX-Lancer-Jeep-Compass-Patriot-1-6-40mm/283435475741?hash=item41fe12231d:g:XD4AAOSwJcxcn7hp

My local off-road specialty shop has just ordered one of these for me, I believe from that same source. His order girl says they're having some issues with translation, but got it dealt with.

I'll post my impressions after it arrives and gets installed.

BCbackroader said:
My local off-road specialty shop has just ordered one of these for me, I believe from that same source. His order girl says they're having some issues with translation, but got it dealt with.

I'll post my impressions after it arrives and gets installed.

Let us know how the outlander handles "off road" with these risers installed.

Never had much good experience with these kind of kits in terms of ride quality/handling improvement. Not much different then ye ol' hockey puck lift kits I've seen on friends' vehicles back in high school. :lol: I'm sure these are a lot safer though!

minical, I'm not looking for any kind of improvement in ride or handling, just a bit more ground clearance to avoid getting any more rock dings in that very vulnerable tailpipe under the battery box, and improve the approach and departure angles to protect the front and rear bumper covers. This modest 40mm lift, and tires with another 20mm larger radius should do the trick for me. That combo worked very well on my '05 Chev Trailblazer.

The lift kit was installed on Thursday. The shop took 4 hours for the job, including a 4 wheel alignment and road test. I like the result, the stance looks much better now, and the car sits more level, with less nose down attitude than the stock suspension. The front spacer is an "inside the strut" type, which requires that the struts be disassembled, so it's not a DIY project, unless your comfortable using a spring compressor. I find entry and exit easier now, and with the front a bit higher, I see more of the hood while driving.

The highway handling seems identical to the pre-lift feel. I'm sure that in extreme cornering, the slightly higher c.o.g. would come into play, but since I don't drive it like a race car, I don't think I'll ever find that limit. I plan a backwoods excursion tomorrow, so I'll report back on how the improved clearance affects that aspect of handling.

The next step will be slightly larger dia. tires, for another 1" of clearance. Those will come in a month or 2, when I've saved a few more $, to get them on before the nasty winter weather hits. I'm planning on a set of Yokohama Geolander G015s in 235/65R17, mounted on 17x7.5 CRA Axion wheels, including a 5th one to carry as a spare, as going out in the backcountry here in BC without a full size spare is really asking for trouble. These tires are a fairly aggressive all terrain type tread, with real all weather capability, having the tri-peak mountain snowflake rating symbol.

Hi BCbackroader, may I suggest BF Goodrich All Terrain in size 225/75 R16 ? :idea:
In the Netherlands you can get the PHEV with 16" rims.
So the stock rims can be used.
I have very good experience with BFG All Terrain.
Strong tyre, good grip, long life, snow-flake symbol.
Only negative is that the tyres hold little stones, and fling them into the wheel-arces.
A 75 series tyre has a higher sidewall is better off-road, you can even air them down in muddy or sandy conditions (without risking damaging the rims).
I do not know if there is enough clearance for this larger tyre.
Maybe problem at the front ?

Thanks for the tire suggestion. I chose the 65 series 17s for their ready availability in my region, and I feel that the jump from a stock 55 series to the 65s will give enough sidewall to allow airing down when needed. The change from 18" wheels to 17", plus the higher section ratio will give me 2" more sidewall, and 1" more clearance, which, along with the lift, will add almost 3" underbody clearance, That's all I need for the trails I want to travel.

I got out for a 4 hour test run on logging roads with the lift kit today. The extra clearance made a big difference in the car's ability to traverse the cross ditching used on the older dis-used trails, which was the point of the exercise. I'm very pleased with the results of the mod, and so far have seen no negatives to the on-road handling, which feels exactly like it did before.

Since the vehicle is marketed as a SUV, I feel it should have come from the factory with the extra ground clearance and all terrain type tires, so that it would be both "sporty" and "utilitarian", as advertised.

My modding list is already long:
  • no emblems on the rear
    no chrome on the rear
    scuff plades
    bumper protection
    floor illuminations front and rear
    all inside lights in LED
    additional LED light in the trunk (at the bottom)
    hood lift (gas damper)
    wheels spacers
    fender extensions (at the rear)
    some ETACS coding like alarm system
    HDMI enabled (on SDA)
    FireTV and mobile hotspot behind glove box
    red GTI (GTE) strip at the front grill
    front and rear body kit from Mitsubishi

too much pictures to share here. Please have a look at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/p7hNPx39ZFPZa3ir6

Back