Cable length

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cutting it fine as its on street parking outside my house, and it's 5 metres from wall to kerb

I'll get an outdoor socket fitted at the fence

also bought a traffic cone as the cable will run across the pavement

It is officially not allowed, but it will work well on a 16A extension cord. Note that the box will be about 50 cm from the plug, which will shorten the effective cable length. Your best plan would be to keep the cable and box in the boot and run an extension cord into the car and the charging cable out again, for instance through a partly-open window. It would prevent theft as well.
I charge my car, which is in the drive, through a wall charger and a 20 m charging cable. At work I use the wall socket method.

nickmc said:
I'm cutting it fine as its on street parking outside my house, and it's 5 metres from wall to kerb

I'll get an outdoor socket fitted at the fence

also bought a traffic cone as the cable will run across the pavement
Not sure where you're based, but it's illegal to run a cable over the pavement in the UK: you're liable if there's any sort of accident. A cone is no use at all, I'm afraid. I assume you'd be allowed to use it after putting it in some sort of cable protector

Illegal in uk to run cable across pavement. My wanted to buy PHEV, he enquired with his electric supplier and council, was advised not to do . So he went for Lexus Hybrid

jaapv said:
Your best plan would be to keep the cable and box in the boot and run an extension cord into the car and the charging cable out again.

I would not do that. If you have a fault with either the plug or socket it could lead to a fire inside the vehicle - I'd much rather that happened outside, thank you.

It's often said that using an extension lead on an EVSE is unsafe, but I believe a 7M long 15A/16A rated cable with waterproof connections or enclosures at each end will be okay. - the granny charger is about 10Amps in 240V counties.

In the UK, roadside work is often carried out with cables running across pavements/sidewalks with this type of cable protector:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allcam-1-metre-Protector-Visible-Stripes/dp/B07GB7BSPD/ref=asc_df_B07GB7BSPD/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309842998494&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10992767300169357924&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045601&hvtargid=pla-695384233326&psc=1

Spotted a BEV being charged in central London yesterday with an extension cable run across the pavement in a red & white striped protector. :eek:

Back