Possible new owner - few questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver5

Hello,

UK member here, I have been a member of the forum for some time now, back in 2015 i nearly got a 4h however due to prices and BIK i ended up ordering a C350e Merc - (but thats another story.) and i ended up getting a new Skoda Superb Estate due to waiting 12 months for the merc and losing my rag.

A few questions i have now are as follows....

I have a new brochure in front of my from the dealer and the latest PDF from online, but things are not really clear...
I see the following models, Juro, 4h, 4hs, 5h, etc... which i can do a dummy order online with. however if you scroll down the page, theres then mentioned of the following models -

Verve, Design and Dynamic. Dynamic Safety, Exceed, Exceed Safety - https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/outlander-phev
From a bit of reading, it would seem that these are new models along side the older names - but i am unable to find anywhere if the specs are the same / document with a side by side compare.

My key requirements are leather, LED headlights. android auto.

- From my old knowledge, i recall some models didnt have an electric pre heater / electric heater to prevent engine turning on if running on EV, is this still the case ?

- Fuel tank range / MPG - im looking for a ball park figure for lets say a 200 mile motorway drive, half loaded. - i understand there is a small fuel tank of 45 litres still, but what is a realistic mpg for a longer mileage run at 70mph ish from your experience. (of course this can be offset against local EV miles, but i would like a realistic figure.)

- Performance - now i dont expect it to be a rocket ship, but 5 years ago when i drove one, im pretty sure it hard a 2.0 N/A petrol engine, i see now its a 2.4 unit, is the performance any better ? mid range performance rather than a 0-6 sprint which i see is in the region of 10secs. (is that figure battery and petrol or either or ? )

- Towbar - i see i cant order one from the factory, towing weights are detailed in the pdf, i assume any after market company can fit them, (want to ensure im not limited to a dealer fit only) if after market, do they require a dedicated electric bypass coding to the car ? (whats the typical price) - (intention for tow bar is for my towbar bike rack and small garden trailer - (no caravan, sold that a few years ago)

Thanks for reading - i think that maybe all for the moment -

many thanks

Ooh, looks like they're just changing over from the old Juro/4h/4hs etc models to a new system. I expect in a few days they will have the brochure to match, but for now, well, it doesn't look as if you can tell....
The old 3h didn't have the electric pre-heater but Juro upwards (i.e. all the models available for the last few years) have had it.
mpg - difficult to say as I rarely do long motorway journeys, but I would say 30mpg is reasonable at 70mph. I don't know whether the 2.4 engine has made much difference in this regard....probably not much - it's still a brick running on petrol, after all.....
I have heard that the acceleration is much better in the 2.4 model, as is the handling, but tbh I haven't actually driven the new model!
Can't help with the towbar question sorry....

My car lives on the motorway (just made 180 mile round trip since 6pm) and 32mpg ish is about right.

Previous contributor is correct about the electric heating

I don't have a tow bar, but make sure whoever fits it is trained to deal with High Voltage as they have to get up close and personal with the battery pack and it's not the same tow bar that fits the diesel

32-35mpg on a run is about right.

towbar is easy. i fitted one myself. the mechanical bits are very easy, and the electrics reasonably so if you buy a proper dedicated wiring loom that is plug and play (just involves removing a fair bit of interior trim which is reasonably scary on a new vehicle but if done carefully with the correct tools is easy enough. the wiring harness comes with full instructions for that. there is no involvement with the HV system despite the post above. towbar wiring has dedicated connectors on the normal vehicle loom and just requires a connection to the auxiliary 12V battery for the 'caravan' power supplies of permanent and switched 12V which you wouldn't need to connect for a cycle rack (but would be daft not to whilst it's all apart.

where do you live? if you're near to Horsham i'll happily give you a demonstration and show you the towbar stuff (which I also use for cycle rack (keen MTBer)

littlescrote said:
32-35mpg on a run is about right.

towbar is easy. i fitted one myself. the mechanical bits are very easy, and the electrics reasonably so if you buy a proper dedicated wiring loom that is plug and play (just involves removing a fair bit of interior trim which is reasonably scary on a new vehicle but if done carefully with the correct tools is easy enough. the wiring harness comes with full instructions for that. there is no involvement with the HV system despite the post above. towbar wiring has dedicated connectors on the normal vehicle loom and just requires a connection to the auxiliary 12V battery for the 'caravan' power supplies of permanent and switched 12V which you wouldn't need to connect for a cycle rack (but would be daft not to whilst it's all apart.

where do you live? if you're near to Horsham i'll happily give you a demonstration and show you the towbar stuff (which I also use for cycle rack (keen MTBer)

Thanks for the offer, though will have to decline as im up north in Yorkshire, thanks for the reply and info - really useful

Thanks

The 2019 model is better. ,I have had 2016 in past. I have done 8000 miles in the 2019 4h. My average is 44- 47 mpg. The 2016 never went over 38 mpg. On motorway I drive B0, gives better mileage.

I’ve not driven the old one but I get much better mpg than expected, Newcastle to Bournemouth for example I achieved 37 mpg and I wasn’t hanging around. I did plug It into a charger at some services on the M1 but I equally started with a flat battery.
I have a heavy right foot and did not try saving fuel, apart from putting it on charge when fast and on EV in heavy traffic.

I have MY19 but cannot compare with earlier models.
Removable towbar was an option. I think it was fitted at the port, before going to the dealer.
I got 30mph on French autoroutes, at 85mph, but 45mph overall. When calculating mpg, I subtract the miles covered on electric. I'd expect up to 35mpg at a steady 70mph.
The car is comfortable to drive and costs me around 12.5p/mile at today's rates, for my combination of driving.

Hi
I had a detachable witter tow bar fitted by pf Jones on my 2014 no problem at all. It has dedicated electrics - can’t remember the total price but as a tight Yorkshire person it can’t have been too bad.
H

Thanks all

At present, im 80% sure, the key blocker for me at the moment is i simply dont like the infotainment system and the centre console dashboard, it feels dated and looks so bland...

Back