Does the fuel engine have gears?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lior

Hi,

I have my PHEV about a month and I have a few questions that hopefully you can answer -

I know that the 2 electric motors do not have gears, but I did notice a strange behavior - When accelerating, with the petrol engine running for extra power, sometimes the revs of the petrol engine climb, and then fall to a lower value without losing power or acceleration. which led me to thinking - does the petrol engine have gears?

Another thing, is that I was experimenting with fast acceleration (wanted to know if i can count on the acceleration for bypassing a car on the highway) and when the revs are close to max (or even 3/4 of the way up), the engine squeels like hell and its crazy loud/whiney. is that normal?

Last question - At times the petrol engine turns on for something like 30 seconds to a few minutes. Usually when the battery is depleted and I am in the city with alot of start/stops. doesnt that hurt the engine?

Thanks
LT

Hi Lior,
To give a simple answer on the workings of the PHEV.

-No the ICE does not have gears (but is has a 1:1 coupling in Parallel mode), all difference in engine Revolutions and actual speed is dis coupled by use of electricity.
The ICE generates electricity, which goes to the electric motors, therefor sometimes higher revs are possible in Serial Mode.
- In Parallel Mode (mostly above 65-70 Km/h) the ICE revs are coupled to speed (see above)

So yes, you can have revving of the engine, as it needs to generate electricity if the drive battery is low.

Bypassing other cars on the highway at "normal" speeds is not an issue, but all depends on speed and traffic situation. If needed when driving EV, the ICE will kick in for extra electricity or direct coupling.

Please have some look at Youtube videos to learn more
this one https://youtu.be/LZ__5-V6CTI explains a lot

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm coming back to my last question - isnt it harmful to the petrol engine to stop for 1 minute and then come back to live? (it does that when the batteries are empty, then after they are charged enough for 1-2km, the engine turns off for a minute or so. After the minute it then turns back on when the batteries are empty again).

Thanks
Lior

Back