Fitting a Dash Cam

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloggsy

Hi folks - so, I previously had a dash cam in my old car which I hard wired to the fuseboard. I had ran the wires under the headlining to the A-pillar, then behind the pillar to the dashboard and, finally, down the side of the dashboard to the fuseboard which was located under the dashboard - very neat and you'd never have known it was there (even if I do say so myself! ;-) LOL).

Anyway, I was hoping to so something similar this car but the only fuseboard that I can find is in the engine bay.

Can anyone suggest where I can run the power to the dashcam from? I don't want to use a cigarette lighter socket as I will forget one day (no doubt that will be the day that I need any recorded footage!).

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks folks - not sure how I didn't pick that up when I did some searching! However, that's exactly what I was after (and it's remarkably similar as to how I wired my last dashcam!).

Well, that looks like a job for me next week!

Cheers

Bloggsy

It's incredibly straightforward, the most challenging bit is getting to the earth! Great cam too.

bigbaldbloke said:
It's incredibly straightforward, the most challenging bit is getting to the earth! Great cam too.

Thanks bigbaldbloke - very much appreciated

Cheers

Bloggsy

Well folks - managed to get to this yesterday.

Thanks to everyone who replied and to jonwarby for the 'How To' on his website - fantastic! It was very similar to how I had it set up in my old car, although on the Outlander, the cable was run down the passenger side, whereas it was the driver's side previously.

The only difference between Jon's method and mines, was that I popped off the pillar cover and ran my cables down behind the dashboard.

Cheers

Bloggsy

I wired to the fuses underneath the steering wheel. Power wires up the A pillar and into the headliner to the dashcam. Then I ran the second wire up into the headliner in the other direction, to the rear of the vehicle. Most difficult part was getting the rear cable through the tube to the liftgate; I had to tape the wire to a string and pull it through. Once through, I removed the plastic piece above the rear window and ran it underneath that, then attached it to the rear cam. Make sure that your rear cam is in the path of the area cleared by the rear wiper blade.

STS134 said:
I wired to the fuses underneath the steering wheel. Power wires up the A pillar and into the headliner to the dashcam. Then I ran the second wire up into the headliner in the other direction, to the rear of the vehicle. Most difficult part was getting the rear cable through the tube to the liftgate; I had to tape the wire to a string and pull it through. Once through, I removed the plastic piece above the rear window and ran it underneath that, then attached it to the rear cam. Make sure that your rear cam is in the path of the area cleared by the rear wiper blade.

Thanks STS134 - I haven't got a rear cam but am considering it for the future, so I'll keep this in mind. I had considered running the power cables under the centre console but your method seems much more straightforward!

Cheers

Bloggsy

STS134 said:

Hi STS134, I am installing the rear dashcam too. Which power supply did you use and where did you install it - right there in the fuse box under the wheel I suppose? I assume the dashcam came with the cigarette lighter power supply - did you just solder the wires onto its contacts? I think for reasons of maintaining voltage on such a long cable it may be better to trace 12V till the tailgate and install the supply close to the rear camera under that tailgate plastic cover you mentioned - there seems to be plenty of room there.

I have both my dashcams, front and rear, supplied from the front accessory socket. Used a 2-way splitter, and plugged both cameras individual plug adapters into it. It all lives under the glovebox kick panel, and I've had no issues with low voltage at the rear camera.

Back