Fitting aftermarket reverse parking sensors

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnye

Hi there, just about to buy a used 4h (MY18 - 2.4L engine) and the one thing that I would find useful from the 4hs list of extras is the reverse parking sensors. Now, I can buy aftermarket ones that connect to the reversing light and just buzz at me (e.g. https://www.dolphinparkingsensors.co.uk/product/dps400-dolphin) and fit them myself, but I wondered if anyone else has tried to do this.

How easy is it to remove the bumper (if required) and run the cables into the rear luggage area for the buzzer?

Is it really worth shelling out for the official ones from the dealer - what are the advantages of that?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Whilst I don't know about the Outlander, I fitted sensors to one of my previous cars and it was a very easy job (once I'd got the bumper off). As there are lights in the bumper on the Outlander you should find you can use the same hole in the bodywork their wiring uses to get wires through. Conviently on my Vauxhall there were markings on the inside of the bumper to indicate where the optional sensors should go so I just drilled there. I drilled a 1mm hole from the inside to the outside, then used masking tape on the outside and used the supplied hole saw to drill from the outside in -that way you get a neat hole on the outside with no paint damage. I also painted the sensors to match, but you might not need to do that.

There is a workshop manual for the Outlander online at mmc-manuals.ru, although it's not the easiest to use or most comprehensive. For your model it looks like it's two bolts either side of the boot entrance and a couple of plastic clips underneath. Don't forget to unplug the wiring to the lights. Also you probably need to remove the splash shields underneath. There are diagrams on that site anyway.

I went for a kit that showed the distance in metres and it with a bargraph on either side showing the relative distance to object left and right. Think it cost me about £15, and took me a couple of hours to install (most of which was getting the bumper off and on, and running the cable to the front of the car for the display). I don't think there's any advantage in going for the hugely expensive dealer fitted ones given how cheap the aftermarket ones are and they both seem to work just as well.

However, personally I prefer cameras to sensors as I can judge the distance far more accurately, and sensors don't always detect things like bollards or low wedge shaped cars (don't ask how I nudged a Lotus with my wife's VW van which has factory parking sensors. :oops: No damage done, didn't even set the alarm off). But this is definately a matter of personal taste, so I can understand why you'd like to fit sensors in addition to the camera.

Thanks richr, that was really useful. I haven't had the pleasure of using cameras to park before so I'm not quite sure how I'll find them. At the moment, I'm driving an Audi A6 estate which I had no problems parking until the last year or so when the parking sensors packed up. Since then, I've re-evaluated my ability to park anything other than a bicycle - bumped 2 cars, one white van, and 2 fences, one of which fell down. The latter was in a pub car park and I went in to tell the landlord and he just laughed and said people are always doing that and didn't seem at all put out. I wouldn't mind but I hadn't even had a drink! So I'm thinking belt and braces approach cos I'm obviously really rubbish at judging distances out the back window.

Having a camera makes a big difference, as you can see the bumper and how close it is to things. There are convenient lines that show how far off you are and when there's enough room to open the boot (not as nice as some like Audi's that curve automatically as you steer though). I find sensors very imprecise in comparison. I don't have a front or side cameras on my 2015 Outlander, but I've never had any assistance at the front in any car so tend to err on the side of caution at that end anyway.

There's certainly no harm in having both systems to give you as much help as possible :)

Hey johnnye

Did you fit them in the end? I am thinking of doing this also!
Whilst I can park with just the camera I sometime forget that I don't have sensors and I still listen out for the beep!
My last vehicle had both so and I don't feel comfortable without them...

If you did fit:
Was it easy?
Which sensors did you use and are you happy with the result?

I think I would prefer flush fitting ones but thy are a bit more costly.

Thanks

Had parking sensers on my MY16 GX3+, found them very useful.
Got a replacement MY19 Juro six months ago which has dispensed with parking sensors in favour of reversing camera.
Not comfortable with the camera so had OM Parking Sensors fitted. (Cost £600) 4 Rear and 2 Front Colour Coded. Took a long time for the Technician to fit, 5 Hours!!
Very happy with the combination but it is a matter of what you are comfortable with.

Big John
MY19 Juro
Named "Sparky Too"

Definitely going to fit them...
Tried reversing between (thankfully plastic) bollards yesterday and although the grid lines showed me missing them I did brush the nearside one :oops:
That would have been expensive had they been concrete ones.
Thankfully we have our own mechanics where I work so wont cost too much.

Interesting points raised here. I've only ever had reversing sensors until I got my PHEV in November 2018. After 10 months of using camera only I can say I hate it. I prefer to be looking in my mirrors or to my rear and rely on audible assistance than having to look at the screen to see how close I am to anything. Also, the red line indicated for safe trunk opening reads too short, I guess the camera needs a slight adjustment to address this but I just work around it.
I did have four, colour coded sensors fitted to the front 2 months ago as I was always out in my judgement, erring too much on the side of caution. I did not have the official Mitsubishi ones fitted purely for cost reasons. I've never needed those before on any car, including my current 'other' car (a Jaguar XK8 which has a long, low front end). They are a big help now in parking. I used a national company that came to my house and fitted them in my driveway. The bumper did not have to be taken off and the job took about 2 hours.

Nibbo said:
Definitely going to fit them...
Tried reversing between (thankfully plastic) bollards yesterday and although the grid lines showed me missing them I did brush the nearside one :oops:
That would have been expensive had they been concrete ones.
Thankfully we have our own mechanics where I work so wont cost too much.
Someting needs adjusting there...

I know that in my 2014 MMCS these lines can be adjusted in the hidden service menu. I suggest searching for hidden menu for your MY.
I I’ve seen “hidden menu “ coming by quite some times. But all depends on type of MMCS

Back