Warrenty if battery is under 70%

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoodyJerup

Hello there,

when charging my battery from zero it stops at approx 7,3 kWh. The battery in the car shows full. What I am aware, it should charge up to 12 kWh when coming directly from the factory.

Now... My local Mitsu-dealer wants to look at the battery under warranty, and they even want to change the battery and batterycomputer if the capacity shows to be under 70%.

So it should be no problem with the 7,3 kWh left of the 12 kWh - it's nearly 60% down.

BUT - if the capacity is OVER 70%, I have to pay for the inspection, around €300.

So the question is now; how much can I trust my charger's information? And should I just go for it? Need your expertise :)

Attachments

• Clever.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 107
You are making a mistake here. A battery charges down to max 25% approx and does not charge to its full capacity (~ -10%), to protect the battery. That means that a full charge on a battery in 100% condition is 9,7 kWh. I think there is nothing wrong here. Aside, 300 Euro for a battery condition report is ridiculous. If charged for at all, it should be less than 10% of the price.

Are you taking in to consideration that the car not ever goes to 30% not zero? Quick in my head maths would expect just over 6kwh from 0 (30%) to full when battery is below 70% usability.

Before Mitsubishi decides to replace the battery, they will perform the dbcam procedure, which anecdotally boosts soh levels for most users (assuming the true soh is higher than the bmu-lowered soh). While the bmu will steadily drop the charge level over time, at least you'll get a higher soh for a period of time. You could also go the diy route, many posts on here and YouTube have various methods to duplicate the dbcam procedure, although it is not clear (to me at least) if they fetch the true soh or simply reset the soh to a previous value, the latter being potentially damaging to the battery if the true soh is equal to or lower than the reset value.

jaapv said:
And here the OP was, thinking life is simple... :( :lol:

I'm not too bothered with what Mitsubishi is doing, basically lowering the high charge point even though the actual soh could be higher. That means they are aggressively protecting the battery, which long-term is better, although I understand the frustration if outright range is a priority.

If outright electrical range is a priority, the PHEV is the wrong car to buy - there are plenty of EVs on the market today to scratch that itch.
The Mitsubishi concept is about the interplay between electrical and ICE power.

Okay, thanks for your replies.

So basically from what I understand from your answers; my battery is not under 70%. But the BMU might be tweeked to channel some more range out of the system.

My Outlander is from 2013/14, and I got around 25 km on pure battery when driving mixed road and highway (120 km/h) under 20 degree Celcisius condition. Is this normal for a car/battery at this age?

Probably OK; mine from the same age with 130.000 km on the clock will normally be around 35 km, well, with the motorway maybe 30 or even 25 depending on how much highway; it eats electricity.
It depends on how long you want to drive the car. If you have it tweaked to use more capacity, it will wear down sooner. \

Driving style makes a vast difference. If I drive secondary roads only, use B0 and feather the accelerator, it can gain me 15 km, blasting down the motorway @130 without any care for economy can lose me 15.

MoodyJerup said:
Okay, thanks for your replies.

So basically from what I understand from your answers; my battery is not under 70%. But the BMU might be tweeked to channel some more range out of the system.

My Outlander is from 2013/14, and I got around 25 km on pure battery when driving mixed road and highway (120 km/h) under 20 degree Celcisius condition. Is this normal for a car/battery at this age?

I'm saying it's possible your soh is higher than the max charge level (or maybe not), the only soh measurement I would trust will be from the dealer who performs cell smoothing/dbcam procedure/and other things(?) to get it.

In regards to range, I don't know much about MY2013/14, if it has the 12 kWh battery, it started with a European NEDC all-electric range of about 52 km/32.5 miles. However, USA EPA all-electric range measures the 12 kWh at only 22 miles, or 35 km. I don't know NEDC, I know EPA, and some manufacturers rate their EPA mileage conservatively, some go the other way, and unfortunately Mitsubishi has a bad rep here (eg. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/business/mitsubishi-fuel-economy-tests.html) ok, they have possibly the worst rep here :D . So if I bought a brand new Outlander PHEV with the 12 kWh battery, I would realistically expect 18-20 miles (29-32 km) of all-electric range. Based on this I would say 25 km is well within the norms of all-electric range for your MY2013/2014.

That article is about a totally different car and there is no suggestion that it extends to other models. Dragging it into this discussion is a bit of a smear.

Hi,
2019 model has a 13.8 kw battery , at any time you can charge max 10kw. 30 % remains, at all times , when 70% is used ICE kicks in barring some conditions.

jaapv said:
That article is about a totally different car and there is no suggestion that it extends to other models. Dragging it into this discussion is a bit of a smear.

It started with Kei models, then they admitted exaggerated fuel efficiency for all models, including the Outlander: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mitsubishimotors-scandal/mitsubishi-says-overstated-mileage-for-more-vehicle-models-idUSKCN1150PL

(although the articles focus on the Japan market, it is reasonable to assume Mitsubishi exaggerated numbers in other markets where the government does not independently verify)

Back