Extracting useful data from your OBDII port

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zzcoopej said:
Pomst said:
Next thing I am trying to do is detect if I can make the car turn the wheel by it self.

There is no servo/actuator on the PHEV steering (just passive steering angle), so I guess you will be adding one to achieve that?
So its not fly-by-wire?
If that's the case the that sucks.

Not sure if ill be adding anything as I really wanted to take the car to the next step as supported by all the gadgets.
Adding more things would mean hardware development, which is very time consuming.

Mitch said:
It is an „normal“ old power steering.
Only the compressor is powered by electricity
Yeah, this says it all:
The power steering system has mechanical steering capability in case the power assist is lost.

That sucks.

Ill move on to the next task on my list then.
Making the 4x4 Lock an actual functioning lock.

As far as I'm aware, EU law doesn't allow fully "drive-by-wire" for brakes or steering. If there is a failure, this means that you always have a mechanical backup to allow you to brake and steer away from an accident. I'm not quite clear why you're saying that having a fail-safe system "sucks"

And good luck with 4wd lock, as you'll need to install a driveshaft and differential between the front and rear axles and make the diffs lockable

Next nice "crap" :lol:

How should this work, there is no connection between front and rear, only two separate motors.
4WD and lock is done by electronic.

ThudnBlundr said:
As far as I'm aware, EU law doesn't allow fully "drive-by-wire" for brakes or steering. If there is a failure, this means that you always have a mechanical backup to allow you to brake and steer away from an accident. I'm not quite clear why you're saying that having a fail-safe system "sucks"

And good luck with 4wd lock, as you'll need to install a driveshaft and differential between the front and rear axles and make the diffs lockable

Well, my plan was to integrate with comma.ai to get the car to some state of self-driving.
But without any method for the car to steer that would be a lot of work in hardware dev, which im not fond of doing right now.
I'm not saying its bad, im saying that its bad for my project.

I can be done via the brakes if they are individually controllable.
This car just needs a way to vary the friction when tires are spinning freely and dynamically applying the brakes is a method to accomplish that.

To be fair, that might be an issue with the electric motor controllers, as they don't like pushing out too much torque at a standstill. If 2 tyres are hard against a kerb, even flattening the throttle won't get you up it. Yet a few cms run up gets up fine

I have to say that I'm quite confused by this subject.

I understand CAN networks and data and RS485 and Modbus protocols very well since I'm working with them everyday.

It seems to me that you are using what is sold as a CAN converter to interface to a Modbus (talk of registers etc) which is what I don't understand. With the vehicle's CAN network I would jsut expect all signals to be constantly transmitted in various messages that should always be there for reading - what have I not understood? TIA

Hi,
Has anyone sniffed out the PIDs and parameters for switching on the pre-charge circuit and main circuit from the HV battery to the inverter, please?
Mark

Back