Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Fuel Dilution Problem Is Back
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm 

Woodman411 wrote:
Smaller displacement engines, which are the trend now due to ever tightening emissions, puts more demand on engine oil, not less.

I agree, don't see yet how this would ever apply to my 2.4 liter engine with a whopping 99kW.

STS134 wrote:
The thing with this car is that the engine only puts out around 60-70 kW, which on that power gauge is about where the "V" in the word "PHEV" is. Which means that it revs up to max power nearly every time I get in the car and go somewhere on the freeway.

Also for the 2 litre engine this is a very low output, if it's built well (and it is), it should run for a very long time.

Revs are not neccesarily harmful (except for your ears :roll: ), an engine with high torq at low revs has a lot more to suffer

STS134 wrote:
In a high performance European SUV, you won't use those upper rev ranges very often, because the ICE is sufficiently oversized

And still they don't come close to most of the Japanese cars in any reliability index. Despite the high revs of an average Toyota, Honda or Mitsubishi engine. By the way, the European brands usually have a 30.000km or two year oil change interval in Europe.

STS134 wrote:
This is done because it's better to operate a smaller engine closer to its optimal point on the consumption map when you are cruising down the freeway than a larger engine at an inefficient spot because the power demands are too low BUT, it also means that when you do want extra power, you are stressing the engine close to its mechanical limits, and unlike in cars with a larger ICE, this happens routinely*.

Stressing an engine to it's max factory output is something completely different from stressing an engine to it's mechanical limit. Again, a well built 2.0 or 2.4 has a mechanical limit that's way beyond the maximum output of just 99kW. And according to the statistics, the Japanese tend to build their engines well.

There are a lot of high mileage PHEV's in the Netherlands and no reports of excessive engine wear what so ever. There are some premium European brands that could only wish for such a track record (just search for VW or Audi TFSI and Google will do the rest, these are by the way engines that perform very well in the lower rev range. They just consume more oil then fuel in the process, if the timing chain doesn't break first that is). For me this leads to the same conclusion as JaapV, absolutely no worries about the 20.000km service interval. Actually my first reaction was that this is a very short interval, beïng used to 30.000 :lol:

And no worries, you don't have to buy my car, I intend to drive it for a very long time

Soon to be charged by 14 solar panels

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 am 

OT - but commenting on an earlier post. Turbochargers have been common on diesel engines for decades. They will happily rev to 100,000 - 150,000rpm for years on their plain bearings as long as the oil supply doesn't become blocked. The trend for smaller, turbocharged petrol engines is purely down to fuel economy - you can use the engine closer to its most efficient map for more of the time. With a larger engine, you're often using it fairly inefficiently - look at how little power the PHEV often needs while cruising.

We had a Mazda5 7-seater with a turbocharged 1.6 diesel engine. It was fine if no road burner and returned a similar fuel consumption to the PHEV on a long journey: it returned far less around town. But when the pipe between the turbo and intercooler failed, it was literally gutless. It would barely climb a slight hill in first gear with my foot to the floor.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 am 

Woodman411 wrote:
Due to these factors, it is highly doubtful engine oil technology has advanced enough where we went from every 3,000 miles, to 5,000, to 7,500, to now 12,000 or even 15,000 miles before engine oil change.

the oil doesn't have to change - the manufacturing tolerances and materials can improve to achieve that longer service interval. e.g. tighter piston ring and bore clearances will mean less fuel dilution of the oil in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:02 am 

littlescrote wrote:
Woodman411 wrote:
Due to these factors, it is highly doubtful engine oil technology has advanced enough where we went from every 3,000 miles, to 5,000, to 7,500, to now 12,000 or even 15,000 miles before engine oil change.

the oil doesn't have to change - the manufacturing tolerances and materials can improve to achieve that longer service interval. e.g. tighter piston ring and bore clearances will mean less fuel dilution of the oil in the first place.

Fuel dilution is just one factor that breaks down engine oil: https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motor- ... teriorates