controls that I can't stand

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasjm

What are your pet peeves on the controls of the car?

Mine are:
1. the location of the EV, Charge and Save buttons. Why couldn't they all be the same button and in a better location?
2. the windshield defrost. The fan always starts up at high speed. I turn it down, but the next time I turn on the defrost it's at high speed again. Not sure why it can't remember the last setting.

1. A simple matter of muscle memory - in time you will be able to use them blindfold - not that you will need to use them that often.
2. Isn't the whole point of defrost to clear the windscreen as fast as possible, meaning that the fan runs at high speed?

mbasjm said:
2. the windshield defrost. The fan always starts up at high speed. I turn it down, but the next time I turn on the defrost it's at high speed again. Not sure why it can't remember the last setting.

Not on my 2014 car - so long as I remember to turn it down to minimum before I turn off, it starts up at that level.

mbasjm said:

Mine are:
1. the location of the EV, Charge and Save buttons. Why couldn't they all be the same button and in a better location?

The fact that the display in the center console always reverts to showing the radio channel and I have to select whatever option I want to see, EVERY single time I start the car.

jaapv said:
1. A simple matter of muscle memory - in time you will be able to use them blindfold - not that you will need to use them that often.
2. Isn't the whole point of defrost to clear the windscreen as fast as possible, meaning that the fan runs at high speed?
1. These controls are also a pet peeve of mine. I'm always having to constantly press buttons every single time I get in the car. 48 seconds before getting on the freeway, CHARGE mode, then SAVE mode, to warm up the ICE and keep it on. Getting off the freeway or getting into a traffic jam, SAVE mode off.

2. An alternate use of it is preventing the windshield from fogging, even if it's not presently fogged. And for this use, you don't need to blast the fan as high as possible.

STS134 said:
mbasjm said:

Mine are:

The fact that the display in the center console always reverts to showing the radio channel and I have to select whatever option I want to see, EVERY single time I start the car.

jaapv said:
1. These controls are also a pet peeve of mine. I'm always having to constantly press buttons every single time I get in the car. 48 seconds before getting on the freeway, CHARGE mode, then SAVE mode, to warm up the ICE and keep it on. Getting off the freeway or getting into a traffic jam, SAVE mode off.

2. An alternate use of it is preventing the windshield from fogging, even if it's not presently fogged. And for this use, you don't need to blast the fan as high as possible.

Oh thank god i'm not the only one with these feeling...
1- The windshield deforst
2- display that revert back to radio each time, even the sub menu also revert to their default screen, IE: the display for electric flow (my car is in french and I don't remember all the name of the icon yet)
3- The location of the SAVE, Charge and EV buttons.

And i'll add 2 of my own not mentioned:

4- The lack of console/storage space due to the location of these button
5- The size and distance relative to the driver seat of the "shift arm" (the arm that you use to go into drive or reverse)

Cividan said:
2- display that revert back to radio each time, even the sub menu also revert to their default screen, IE: the display for electric flow (my car is in french and I don't remember all the name of the icon yet)

You should be able to select another language if you want to. I don't remember exactly where the option was, but it's there.

The location of the seat heaters ... basically under the center armrest. I need to look away from the road to use them (2018 Canada). The location of the steering wheel heater isn't much better.

STS134 said:
mbasjm said:

Mine are:

jaapv said:

I assume you cannot play a piano either... :mrgreen:

STS134 said:
Cividan said:

You should be able to select another language if you want to. I don't remember exactly where the option was, but it's there.
Did you even consider that he might want it to be in French, seeing how he lives in Montreal?

ThudnBlundr said:
STS134 said:
Cividan said:

Did you even consider that he might want it to be in French, seeing how he lives in Montreal?

Yeah that was not a complain just a comment that mine is in french and since I don't know all the name by heart it's sometimes hard to translate and yes if anyone wonder there is an opiton in the setting to change the language and I did put it in english a bit to figure out what each menu means as often the translation isn't very clear and to be honest even if we speak french around here when we talk about car many parts name are used in english and we often don't even know the name in french.

May I ask what your issue is with the selector lever? For me it’s elbow on arm rest, and move into Reverse or Drive just by flicking my fingers.

But I am 6’2” and have the seat right back and as low as possible, but with the backrest relatively upright.

Steel188 said:
I am 6’2” and have the seat right back and as low as possible, but with the backrest relatively upright.
I'd like my backrest just a little more upright. Based on my passenger seat, this is no issue for seats with manual adjustment. Issue with the electric seat adjustment in the Mitsubishi is when you tilt the seat at the front for more leg support, the backrest moves with it.

For me this results in either having not enough leg support or having to reach to far for the steering wheel. During the test drive it all felt ok, after a few weeks unfortunately it feels sub optimal.

Ok, when we're gathering pet peeves anyway, I have another one. I'd like Mitsubishi to print a really large poster with just two words, "Preferred Settings", and put it on the wall at the entrance of the design department. And to be sure, print another one for the entrance of the software development department. This is really my first car that suffers from severe dementia.

That high-beam flash is a slight pull while high-beam change if a full pull. I live on single-track lanes where flashing thanks at passing points is common courtesy, but too often find I've accidently thanked the other driver by dazzling them with high-beam -- having pulled the lever that bit beyond a flash.

The high-beam lever does nothing on a push. I would prefer:

push = change between high-beam and dipped
pull = flash, no risk of accidentally going full high-beam

I've owned several cars where that is the system. The only problem is that you can leave the stalk on main beam when you park up and the next day the auto function can turn on main beams when you're not expecting it. :roll: Neither is perfect, I'm afraid

My solution to the 'defrost' is to press the 'up' button on the climate control instead of the 'defrost' button. 'Up' puts the system on whatever it was before you turned it off.

Cividan said:
STS134 said:
mbasjm said:

Mine are:

jaapv said:

Oh thank god i'm not the only one with these feeling...
1- The windshield deforst
3- The location of the SAVE, Charge and EV buttons.

And i'll add 2 of my own not mentioned:

4- The lack of console/storage space due to the location of these button
5- The size and distance relative to the driver seat of the "shift arm" (the arm that you use to go into drive or reverse)

Time to upgrade then

https://imgur.com/xw4bRHV

Poor translation. I’m Danish and “EV range” has been translated into meaning “EV area”. I find it odd that a multi billion dollar corporation can’t do proper translation. I chose to display everything in English because the Danish translation is just confusing.

KWh said:
Steel188 said:
I am 6’2” and have the seat right back and as low as possible, but with the backrest relatively upright.
I'd like my backrest just a little more upright. Based on my passenger seat, this is no issue for seats with manual adjustment. Issue with the electric seat adjustment in the Mitsubishi is when you tilt the seat at the front for more leg support, the backrest moves with it.
And then you adjust the backrest. I like the system, actually.

Back