Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charge multiple car at home
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 am 

We'd owned the Zoe for a while when we got the PHEV: we used the chargepoint for the Zoe and the granny charger for the PHEV. With our 240V system, the latter draws 2.4kW (10A). In theory the 40A (~10kW) main fuse in the garage should not be able to cope with a 32A Zoe and a 10A PHEV charging for too long, but in practice they never charged at the same time. But the plug for the granny cable started getting hot, so we invested in a proper cable so that both could charge from the chargepoint.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am 

There are a couple of ways to charge two cars using one circuit. Clipper Creek makes a EVSE that is designed to do this. If you have one EVSE plugged into a car, the car can use up to the entire capacity of the circuit (subject to the 80% rule). If a second EVSE is on the same circuit and plugged into a second car, the two EVSEs will talk to each other and divide the available capacity between them.

The latest version of the Tesla High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) can do the same. Here in North America, one can purchase an adapter cable (e.g., JDapter from Quick Charge Power) to adapt from the Tesla-specific plug on the HPWC to J1772 plug - used by non-Teslas.

I have two plug-in cars (Model 3 and Volt), but I use two different 240V receptacles for charging.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 pm 

wws wrote:
There are a couple of ways to charge two cars using one circuit. Clipper Creek makes a EVSE that is designed to do this. If you have one EVSE plugged into a car, the car can use up to the entire capacity of the circuit (subject to the 80% rule). If a second EVSE is on the same circuit and plugged into a second car, the two EVSEs will talk to each other and divide the available capacity between them.

The latest version of the Tesla High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) can do the same. Here in North America, one can purchase an adapter cable (e.g., JDapter from Quick Charge Power) to adapt from the Tesla-specific plug on the HPWC to J1772 plug - used by non-Teslas.

I have two plug-in cars (Model 3 and Volt), but I use two different 240V receptacles for charging.

How did you wire it from the electric panel to each individual receptacle? Did you setup two 40A breaker from the panel and ran a cable to each receptacle? I'm trying to plan ahead and avoid the "if only I had knew that, I would have done things differently"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 am 

In my opinion, one 50A circuit should be sufficient for 2 or even 3 family cars.

Here is my thought:

Wattage: 40A x 240V ~ 10kW;
Energy in 8 hrs: 80kWh;
Efficiency of EV cars: 250 to 400W/mile;
EV miles per day: 200 to 320 miles.

How many miles our family drive per day? Do we go to gas station every day?
Yes, the Share2/2 plug are expensive but if you don’t mind go out of code:
(14-50P) = (14-30R) + (6-20R) or;
(14-50P) = (6-20R) + 2*(6-15R).
Solve the equation and you may get your answer.

Tai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:20 pm 

Cividan wrote:
How did you wire it from the electric panel to each individual receptacle? Did you setup two 40A breaker from the panel and ran a cable to each receptacle? I'm trying to plan ahead and avoid the "if only I had knew that, I would have done things differently"

In the case of the Clipper Creek Share2 series EVSEs, breaker->EVSE #1->EVSE #2. For example: https://store.clippercreek.com/Share2-HCS-40-Bundle The Tesla HPWC would be similar. If you scroll to the bottom of the Clipper Creek page, there are other options for different power levels.

Also Clipper Creek offers single stations with two charge cables, e.g.: https://store.clippercreek.com/dual-ev-charging-station In this case it would be just breaker->EVSE.

Kind of depends on where your cars are parked. In my case, the reason I use two circuits is because the two cars are parked in different locations. (I have two driveways.) So it isn't convenient to have just a single charging station. And they are on separate sub-panels. One sub-panel is in my garage. It is actually a re-purposed 30 amp circuit from when the previous owner of my house had a kiln out there. The other sub-panel was from when we installed our solar system a few years ago. I anticipated needing a receptacle for EV charging, so had the solar installer put in a 14-50 with the new sub-panel at the same time.

Last edited by wws on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 pm 

wws wrote:
Cividan wrote:

In the case of the Clipper Creek units Share2 series, breaker->EVSE #1->EVSE #2. For example: https://store.clippercreek.com/Share2-HCS-40-Bundle The Tesla HPWC would be similar.

If you scroll to the bottom of the Clipper Creek page, there are other options for different power levels. Also single stations with two charge cables, e.g.: https://store.clippercreek.com/dual-ev-charging-station In this case it would be just breaker->EVSE.

Thanks all for your input. I'm learning a lot of new things :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:46 pm 

Cividan wrote:
Thanks all for your input. I'm learning a lot of new things :)

Happy to help.

BTW, Tesla can support up to four daisy-chained HPWCs on a single circuit: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector There is a fellow on one forum I'm on that uses three HPWCs sharing a single 100 amp circuit - for two Teslas and a Bolt EV. The Bolt, like the Outlander, has a J-1772 port for L1/L2 charging. So one would need a JDapter to use it with a HPWC.