pre-heating vs pre-defrosting

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will initially, but my experience is that the power consumption drops as it warms so the charger can start to keep up. If you can leave it for 20 minutes afterwards, you should get a warm car and a full battery. But that's only in Yorkshire's relatively mild climate, so I've no idea what leaving it for a while in -15C would do to the cabin temperature. :shock:

I've noticed that with the charge timer activated, the pre-heating drains the battery without activating the charger.
Something to take into account. Currently I'm manually starting the pre-heat from the app each morning and stop the charge timer with the key fob.

Having to connect the Mitsubishi WiFi from the window next to the driveway (otherwise there is no connection at all :roll: ) and manually turn off the charge timer honoustly feels like a bit of a workaround. It's worth it though, for starting off in a warm car. But can't help feeling this could have been a bit more sophisticated in a €48k car.

Isn’t it just doing what you’ve told it? If the charge timer is set and the heater is switched on outside that set time it won’t charge? Or have I missed something?

Is there a reason that you have set the charge timer? Otherwise just switch it off. In that case the car will replenish the battery after pre-heating.

Hello Cividan

I started a chat over a year ago on a similar theme : 'Pre Heating Without the App'

Here's some of my thoughts therefore.
I've always used the pre-heating. Even in minus conditions it clears the windscreen so seems the best option to me.
For a North East English winter I set it for 20 minutes, which is plenty. It's timed so that it is still plugged in to my home charger, which then takes about 10 minutes after the heating has stopped for it to charge the battery back up to maximum.

I have noticed one weird thing though with mine (2017 Juro) which is what prompted me to come back on to this forum today actually. Regardless of what the onboard clock says (British Summer Time or Greenwich Mean Time - winter) the internal timer always works off BST. It's taken me two winters and one summer to work this out by trial and error. Not only is it weird per se (that it doesn't follow the clock on board), but that it also chooses BST when it is more likely to be used in the winter. So in the winter, for it to come on at 6.50am, I actually have to set it for 7.50.

Anyone else noticed this idiosyncracy?

mine (MY16) was set for 7:30 this morning and actually functioned at that time. internal clock is correct for now (GMT) but it was also connected to a tablet with the correct time as well.

That's strange, DuRam: our 2015 pre-facelift model doesn't suffer like that. I have it set to GMT and change the time using the Daylight Savings option in the clock settings screen. The timers come on as expected. I don't set the RDS option: could that be causing the issue?

Yes that is strange I've never noticed this on mine so I assume it's not happening. Now it's getting colder I'll look out for it and see if there is a problem with the timer.

jaapv said:
Is there a reason that you have set the charge timer? Otherwise just switch it off. In that case the car will replenish the battery after pre-heating.
Yep, I charge at night for several reasons.
- I try not to leave the car fully charged when it isn't needed, full charge just before I leave is fine. I start the charge at 2.00am to make sure it's full in the morning
- Some say it's better to leave the battery alone for a (short) while after driving instead of recharging it right away.

Could all be far fetched, I know. Since it can't hurt either at least in my head I'm doing good for the battery :lol:
As a bonus, charging at night is slightly cheaper (2 cents per KWh)

Writing this, I think there is a better workaround to make sure the charger starts when using pre-heat.
I now have the charge timer set from 2.00am-3.00am with "full charge" on. If I set the timer from 2.00am-7.00am I should be fine as I usually leave at 6

Think it depends on your location. For me on the "wet" coast... I have to use "Pre-defrost". if I just use "Pre-heat", the windshield and other windows will have quite a bit on condensation on them. The suspect that might not be the case in less humid locations.

Thanks for all your input, so far température are around zero and pre-heating is ok but using level 1 charger the car is not fully charged when i leave as i have to schedule the charges time start by range of 10min Window which suck.

A 3kW charger can't fully compensate for the power drain on pre-heat, so unless you leave the car on charge for another hour (rather defeating the purpose) you'll always be a bit down on a full charge. I live at the top of 1.2km 15% hill, so that gives the regen something to do when I set off. :)

ChrisMiller said:
A 3kW charger can't fully compensate for the power drain on pre-heat, so unless you leave the car on charge for another hour (rather defeating the purpose) you'll always be a bit down on a full charge. I live at the top of 1.2km 15% hill, so that gives the regen something to do when I set off. :)
yeah I get that :) we will upgrade to a level 2 charger down the road but anyway that's not the main pain point, one of the most stupid thing this car have is that I can only schedule the start window of the schedule by a 10 min range, who's the genius who tough of that, I guess everything on earth is rounded down to 10 min :twisted:

I’ve now tried using the heat and the defrost, the heat is completely mental! At 10
Minutes it’s done nothing little, but 20 minutes is like a sauna! I have to drive off with the windows open, rather depleting the efficiency......

Back