Can you hear your Acoustic Vehicle Alert Sound PHEV 2018

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpleduc

I can t hear that sound. I found a Youtube video playing this sound and it seems very weak. Is there a way to Increase the sound level?

JPL

Finally got a response from my Mitsubishi dealer. Apparently Canadian Phev Outlander do not have an AVAS. This is not mandatory and according to the dealer even though the AVAS was installed in EU an UK PHEV, it apparently did not reduce the number of incidents. Dealer said that MMC supposed to eliminate this option on EU or UK vehicle...

I personnally think this is incorrect providing that the sound is distinctive enough and loud enough for pedestrian to notice it,

I believe this is to be mandatory in the UK in the near future, if it isn't already. So MMC had better keep it on UK vehicles, at least! Has anyone seen any figures relating to pedestrian accidents due to not being aware of an EV approaching? I'm not aware of any great worry over this issue.

As I posted in another thread, it does not appear to be mandatory in UK as the new EV London Cabs don't have it.

Looks like penny pinching by Mitsu, as it can't cost much and I doubt there are enough EV & Hybrid cars yet to confirm whether it is necessary or not from accident figures alone. However, in crowded cities like London with narrow pavements pedestrians do rely on their hearing to avoid vehicles coming from behind.

It may be that collision avoidance systems are a better solution anyway for all cars. :idea:

The sound was originally there to help blind or partially-sighted people. A study "found a doubling of hybrid vehicle pedestrian crashes when reversing or parking etc. at slow speeds" according to Wikipedia

Again according to Wikipedia, it is already mandatory across the EU and Japan, and will become mandatory in the states from September 2020

I'm not sure which model year that dealer was talking about (or if they were misinformed), but apparently AVAS is at least present in MY2018 PHEVs as it is described in the owner's manual on page 5-67.

Thanks for spotting this. I did not read the entire the manual and AVAS does not appear in the index.

I will point this out to my dealer. Also, I was walking next to my vehicle in a parking lot as my spouse was moving the vehicle and I noticed a smal Humm that would be the AVAS. It is barely noticeable. I will do further check.

Thanks

Jean Pierre Leduc

I heard mine not long back when it was in the workshop up on post lift and in drive. I could hear it quite clearly, weird noise...!

I like to call it "the Cylon sound".

Mine is easiest to hear in hi-rise car parks:

Warble-ywoo-warbel-ywoo-warble-y...

Nibbo said:
AndyInOz said:
I like to call it "the Cylon sound".

:lol: It is close to Cylon; wonder if we should add the red light? :geek:

You know, a red LED chaser would be pretty easy to make...

:D

I'm pretty sure it would be against the rules here in Oz.

:(

I hear mine all the time (Canadian MY2018) as I drive slowly in and out of our carport. It's the only time I really notice it as the sound seems to be bounced off the wall of our home to the right and a short 2 foot high wall to the left.

I honestly don't think it's the right kind of noise... I have often been slowly driving behind people walking in parking lots and other scenarios... and I know they can hear the sound, but they generally start looking around and and sometimes even up before finally looking behind when they are then startled to realize I'm there.

It's not a sound that makes people think "oh a car is coming/is behind me." It's more of an "WTF is that faint weird noise?? Am I about to be abducted? Run!! Aliens!! Oh!, ha, it's just one of them new fangled electric doo-hickey mobiles..."

I must admit that I turn on Charge when I'm behind crawling along behind people who haven't noticed me, say in a car park. They're still much more attuned to the noise of an ICE than an extra-terrestrial sound ;)

ThudnBlundr said:
I must admit that I turn on Charge when I'm behind crawling along behind people who haven't noticed me, say in a car park. They're still much more attuned to the noise of an ICE than an extra-terrestrial sound ;)

And choking them to death on the exhaust fumes will serve them right for not paying attention :lol:

Would they have turned up the volume in MY2019/2020 cars? I can hear AVAS very clearly inside the car when driving up to 40 kmh.
Annoying "Hummm" all the time. I turn it off when I'm not in a busy pedestrian area and back on when in a city centre.

Back