Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vibrating humming audible from front region of vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 am 

I have a MY2018GT in Canada and ever since my most recent service (oil change/tire rotation and basic inspections) I started hearing for the first time a consistent humming noise coming from the front region of the vehicle while in motion during EV mode. You can also feel a slight vibration if you have your foot resting gently against the brake pad (perhaps if resting foot in other places too but I haven't noticed). The sound and vibration stops whenever you come to a stop, and resumes as soon as you start moving again. No warning messages have popper up on the dash. It's not quite as loud as the ICE is when that is running, so this humming is more noticeable when traveling at lower speeds but seems to be always present at least when driving in EV mode (not sure if it still is there when the ICE is running due to the louder ICE dominating).

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's a bit disconcerting, especially since I always enjoyed how relatively quiet the interior was when driving in EV mode. Since it seems related to some mechanical vibration I'm wondering if it is some cooling fan, compressor, or even coming from the front electric motor. Will see what the dealer can diagnose when I get a chance to bring it back in, but thought I would also check if anyone has experienced this or has any ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks for any troubleshooting input!

Post subject: Re: Vibrating humming audible from front region of vehicle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:43 am 

If the wheels have been swapped around I'd check them first. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:37 pm 

Or a wheel bearing?

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:39 pm 

I think there's also a brake-pressure pump...

1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 pm 

I experienced the same humming/roaring noises too for my 2018 PHEV. My next service won't be for another 5,000 miles. Let me know what you find out so I can tell the dealer. The noises are gone at high speed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:13 pm 

Thanks yardbird, interesting to hear someone else experiencing something like this -- how long ago did you start hearing that new noise? I don't believe the buzzing/humming that I've been hearing goes away at any vehicle speed when driving in EV mode (except for when stopped) although it is less noticeable due to louder road/traffic noise at higher speeds, so if yours distinctly goes away at higher speeds it might be a different issue.

I brought my PHEV in to my dealer today and demonstrated the noise during a drive around, then left it there for most of the day and they did some troubleshooting. They were able to diagnose the source of the buzzing/vibration as being a malfunctioning HEV oil cooler pump. They ordered in a replacement and when that arrives (~1 week) they will replace it under warranty. I'm relieved they were able to find the source and will be even more relieved when the annoying noise is gone!