Vibrating humming audible from front region of vehicle

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a MY2018GT in Canada and ever since my most recent service (oil change/tire rotation and basic inspections) I started hearing for the first time a consistent humming noise coming from the front region of the vehicle while in motion during EV mode. You can also feel a slight vibration if you have your foot resting gently against the brake pad (perhaps if resting foot in other places too but I haven't noticed). The sound and vibration stops whenever you come to a stop, and resumes as soon as you start moving again. No warning messages have popper up on the dash. It's not quite as loud as the ICE is when that is running, so this humming is more noticeable when traveling at lower speeds but seems to be always present at least when driving in EV mode (not sure if it still is there when the ICE is running due to the louder ICE dominating).

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's a bit disconcerting, especially since I always enjoyed how relatively quiet the interior was when driving in EV mode. Since it seems related to some mechanical vibration I'm wondering if it is some cooling fan, compressor, or even coming from the front electric motor. Will see what the dealer can diagnose when I get a chance to bring it back in, but thought I would also check if anyone has experienced this or has any ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks for any troubleshooting input!

I experienced the same humming/roaring noises too for my 2018 PHEV. My next service won't be for another 5,000 miles. Let me know what you find out so I can tell the dealer. The noises are gone at high speed.

Thanks yardbird, interesting to hear someone else experiencing something like this -- how long ago did you start hearing that new noise? I don't believe the buzzing/humming that I've been hearing goes away at any vehicle speed when driving in EV mode (except for when stopped) although it is less noticeable due to louder road/traffic noise at higher speeds, so if yours distinctly goes away at higher speeds it might be a different issue.

I brought my PHEV in to my dealer today and demonstrated the noise during a drive around, then left it there for most of the day and they did some troubleshooting. They were able to diagnose the source of the buzzing/vibration as being a malfunctioning HEV oil cooler pump. They ordered in a replacement and when that arrives (~1 week) they will replace it under warranty. I'm relieved they were able to find the source and will be even more relieved when the annoying noise is gone!

I had it after a few thousand miles in 2018. It happened once in a while so hopefully I can reproduce it at next dealer test drive. I will also bring your responses to see if they will buy it. Thanks. Let me know if the sound will go away after the fix.

So after they replaced that HEV cooling pump yesterday they noticed that the buzzing noise is still present, seeming to be coming from some other nearby parts...They have ordered some other replacement parts so we'll see -- hopefully they can correctly diagnose and fix the root cause of the problem! It seems like they are in the right ball park from what they have been saying, but not quite there yet. :roll:

Any update on what was the cause?
My outlander is making a similar noice very intermittent and I want to avoid repeat visits to my dealership if possible

I have a MY2018GT in Canada and ever since my most recent service (oil change/tire rotation and basic inspections) I started hearing for the first time a consistent humming noise coming from the front region of the vehicle while in motion during EV mode. You can also feel a slight vibration if you have your foot resting gently against the brake pad (perhaps if resting foot in other places too but I haven't noticed). The sound and vibration stops whenever you come to a stop, and resumes as soon as you start moving again. No warning messages have popper up on the dash. It's not quite as loud as the ICE is when that is running, so this humming is more noticeable when traveling at lower speeds but seems to be always present at least when driving in EV mode (not sure if it still is there when the ICE is running due to the louder ICE dominating).

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's a bit disconcerting, especially since I always enjoyed how relatively quiet the interior was when driving in EV mode. Since it seems related to some mechanical vibration I'm wondering if it is some cooling fan, compressor, or even coming from the front electric motor. Will see what the dealer can diagnose when I get a chance to bring it back in, but thought I would also check if anyone has experienced this or has any ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks for any troubleshooting input!
Thanks yardbird, interesting to hear someone else experiencing something like this -- how long ago did you start hearing that new noise? I don't believe the buzzing/humming that I've been hearing goes away at any vehicle speed when driving in EV mode (except for when stopped) although it is less noticeable due to louder road/traffic noise at higher speeds, so if yours distinctly goes away at higher speeds it might be a different issue.

I brought my PHEV in to my dealer today and demonstrated the noise during a drive around, then left it there for most of the day and they did some troubleshooting. They were able to diagnose the source of the buzzing/vibration as being a malfunctioning HEV oil cooler pump. They ordered in a replacement and when that arrives (~1 week) they will replace it under warranty. I'm relieved they were able to find the source and will be even more relieved when the annoying noise is gone!
Humming ?, perhaps it didnt know the words He he

Back