Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizwanrasheed

Hi I recently bought outlander phev 2015, which has driven only 87000 miles. Unfortunately my car fuel consumption is low, my car given 35 miles per gallon, I have spoke with other friends who have outlander , they say we are getting 45-50 mpg. I have diagnosed it from Mitsubishi dealer they said there is nothing wrong with vehicle but I know there is definitely some problem , I have driven this on eco and normal mode I noticed mpg in both mode is same which suppose to be low in normal mode I think. I would need suggestion what needs to be done or checked on this car.
Thank you in advance.

A lot depends on the type of journey you are making.
My daily commute is only 15 miles so I don't even get a MPG value as it exceeds 100 and I use 95%+ electric only.
On a 150 mile round trip without any recharging I was getting roughly 35.

At 20 Centigrade I get 28 miles and 45mpg on a long run with no heater or aircon.
Now at 5C I get 20 miles and 35mpg with the heater on (no electric heating on my base model).
On short trips with the heater and hence ICE on I see 15mpg!

michael8554 said:
At 20 Centigrade I get 28 miles and 45mpg on a long run with no heater or aircon.
Now at 5C I get 20 miles and 35mpg with the heater on (no electric heating on my base model).

Similar yesterday up and down M1/M6 from London to West Midlands but up journey was much better because of slow moving traffic - well below 70mph. Whereas, slamming down the A1 in France at a constant 85mph returned under 30mpg. So speed has a very big influence due to poor drag coefficient, I'm afraid. :cry:

michael8554 said:

I have seen it that low but the only reason was that on leaving my house I went up a steep hill and only drove about 3 miles.
Obviously the steep hill caused the ICE to kick in and over the short journey was not able to average out the MPG.
Mine is a 2015 also so I don't think there is much wrong, just how the thing works really.
Generally I see over 100 because my daily commute is just under 20 miles which seems to be the sweet spot for best MPG.

rizwanrasheed said:
Hi I recently bought outlander phev 2015, which has driven only 87000 miles. Unfortunately my car fuel consumption is low, my car given 35 miles per gallon, I have spoke with other friends who have outlander , they say we are getting 45-50 mpg. I have diagnosed it from Mitsubishi dealer they said there is nothing wrong with vehicle but I know there is definitely some problem , I have driven this on eco and normal mode I noticed mpg in both mode is same which suppose to be low in normal mode I think. I would need suggestion what needs to be done or checked on this car.
Thank you in advance.
35 mpg sounds quite possible for average use, although it can vary wildly. It all depends on usage.
What roads do you drive? How hard do you push the vehicle? What is your ratio electric/ICE? What is the outside temperature? What pressure do you run your tyres? etc.
I seriously doubt that there is anything wrong with the car. And yes,the ECO button does not make a significant difference.

greendwarf said:
So speed has a very big influence due to poor drag coefficient, I'm afraid. :cry:

Not doubting that speed has a big influence, but I don't know if it's down to just poor drag coefficient - I suspect that the large frontal area
has quite an impact as the 'wind resistance' is a factor of both ;-)

There is nothing wrong with your car, my late 2015 (facelift) car now has 121,000 miles showing and I would be delighted to average 35mpg! But i rarely do.

If I commute to the office, it's 2 miles, but I cannot charge there or at home. When I go out anywhere, I'm lucky if the round trip is less than 50 miles, 250 mile days happen at least once a week and 500 mile days, wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Where possible (don't laugh, I live in the South East) I cruise at a Sat Nav regulated 70mph (shows as 74 on speedo), but I also do 10,000 miles pa either on the M25 or in London.

But I do all this is the quiet, sumpremely comfortable cabin with the superb view over the long bonnet just dreaming of a 75 litre fuel tank and 40mpg, but I can't have everything!!

littlescrote said:
greendwarf said:
So speed has a very big influence due to poor drag coefficient, I'm afraid. :cry:

Not doubting that speed has a big influence, but I don't know if it's down to just poor drag coefficient - I suspect that the large frontal area
has quite an impact as the 'wind resistance' is a factor of both ;-)

Isn't drag coefficient the posh way of saying "wind resistance"? :lol: - but also is the constant (a function of the shape) used to calculate the effort needed, which increases with speed.

It is a big, heavy lump of a car, I think 30 mpg is very reasonable. If you can't use the batteries for the majority of your miles perhaps a PHEV isn't for you.
I read a few reviews on Trust Pilot prior to buying mine and quite a few owners were (unfairly imho) criticising their cars for returning poor MPG on long journeys.
I have covered about 5000 km in 6 months on just 2 tankfuls, because the majority of my running about is on electric.

Back