variation in Battery SOH

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martian

looked at 2 PHEV today. both 64 plates

1 was 113K miles - the battery hadnt been reset but SOH on Watchdog was 96% more or less!

the 2nd 120K miles again no battery reset but SOH was at 76%

which would you say was the more normal?

unfortunately I realised that the 1st was a cat S altho not advertised as such

the 2nd was lovely condition but felt too concerned that the SOH was so low.

Wished dealers would supply these figures in advance!

Don't know what you mean by "Cat S" however, same age as mine but with more than twice the mileage.

Although I don't have Watchdog I suspect mine is around the 76% mark judging by current electric range of just over 20 miles per charge. We know battery life is ultimately dictated by the number of charge & discharge cycles, so these figures suggest the first car has had very little plug-in charging, if at all. You should therefore consider it as having done most of those miles on petrol, so the ICE etc. will worn as a similar 100+k non-electric SUV. The other appears to have had more use as an EV, so less wear on the non-electric components but something like 60,000 miles on petrol - probably mainly high speed motorway driving but both company cars or at least used on business.

However, it depends what your requirements are. If (all other things being equal) you want it for low speed local driving over a number of years then electric range will be more important, so you would want the higher capacity battery. But if you are going to be doing mainly longer and faster journeys, then electric range will be less important than longevity of the ICE etc.

Of course there are also other factors which may or may not be important to you - e.g. minimising emissions and/or running costs.

I don't think the number of charges makes much of a difference - the generator is charging the car all the time during "uncharged" driving. If there is a difference, it is probably due to frequent CHAdeMO charging.
I am starting to feel, reading this forum, that the Watchdog is utterly unreliable. 96% on a 113.000 miles car is simply not believable; it is better than delivery SOH.
Just demand a formal Mitsubishi statement on battery health. I would never buy a used (PH)EV without one.

yes if only could get a formal SOH

the 113k Cat S SOH was at 96% which is incredible - the range was indicating 27 miles range too. and i forget the battery birthday date but was either 1923 or 1423 ( BTW Cat S insurance write off means it has had a serious accident possibly affecting the structure - the roof had been resprayed along with the whole front end, both doors and one rear quarter panel )

apparently current owners are charging it twice a day ( not chademo ) for journey too and from work altho they are economical with the truth - they didnt declare the cat S try to palm it off as a minor with a bollard..

AF64 HCN white GX4H - search on facebook market place, they in Birmingham and will accept £8000 if anyone after a cheap one - altho it has been clobbered and there are odd angles on the wings etc.

the 2nd one was at a dealer and they were clueless as to the battery but at least they let me plug in the ODB

any one remind me where the screens for the battery etc are on the PHEV touch screen please? be nice to confirm stuff on there.

My dealer gets one at every service and will produce it on request. Any Mitsubishi dealer should be able to provide one. One might question the wisdom of buying a car of this complexity outside the official dealer network.
As to the clueless dealer, he may not have been licensed by Mitsubishi to work on PHEVs. Specific training is required.
What do you mean by screens for the battery?

jaapv said:
I don't think the number of charges makes much of a difference - the generator is charging the car all the time during "uncharged" driving. If there is a difference, it is probably due to frequent CHAdeMO charging.
I am starting to feel, reading this forum, that the Watchdog is utterly unreliable. 96% on a 113.000 miles car is simply not believable; it is better than delivery SOH.
Just demand a formal Mitsubishi statement on battery health. I would never buy a used (PH)EV without one.

Er, I thought we had definitively settled on lithium battery life being absolutely limited by the number of complete discharge/recharge cycles (approx 3000, if I remember correctly) but this can be made up of many more partial cycles of the type you describe. In particular, your comment about CHAdeMO can't be relevant here to explain the apparent excellent health of a 5 year old car with over 100k miles on the clock, as you note, but the OP says it has a range figure of 27 miles.

However, now we know what Cat S is (accident write-off) this looks more like a newer battery in an old car. BTW as mentioned before, dealer battery check results are very difficult (if not impossible) to obtain in UK - no doubt due to the Colt Car countrywide franchise stranglehold.

Regarding the car with 113k 96% - I have a vague recollection that a Reset using MUT-3 does not reset the days reading?

Could be wrong......

Back