Full charge range reducing

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadiaper

Hi All,

looking for some common knowledge amongst the community. I bought my Gx3 about 6 months ago and fully charged it was registering 29-33 miles. now 6 months later fully charged its about 22-24.

im assuming that this is to do with the cooler temps as we're in winter now but wanted to see if this is normal and ill see this go up again in summer. This may also come down to driving style like on ICE range calculations.

any way just wanted to see what the community can advise as "normal"

Steve

Whatever range you were achieving in the summer, don't be surprised if it is reduced by 30% (or more) in the winter. This is due to a combination of reduced battery performance, increased rolling resistance from cold tyres and increased viscosity of cold air. When our PHEV was new, I reckoned on 29 miles maximum in summer, but in the depths of winter 16 miles was pretty good. Those figures are now decreasing with battery age.

maby said:
Whatever range you were achieving in the summer, don't be surprised if it is reduced by 30% (or more) in the winter. This is due to a combination of reduced battery performance, increased rolling resistance from cold tyres and increased viscosity of cold air. When our PHEV was new, I reckoned on 29 miles maximum in summer, but in the depths of winter 16 miles was pretty good. Those figures are now decreasing with battery age.

It was more to do with range showing on full charge rather than actual range as i would expect decrease in actual driving, but if the point is just on range shown at full charge then its within normal parameters :)

sadiaper said:
maby said:

It was more to do with range showing on full charge rather than actual range as i would expect decrease in actual driving, but if the point is just on range shown at full charge then its within normal parameters :)

Well, the range display is widely known as the "guessometer" for a good reason! Use it to select your lottery numbers, not to predict how far you can go! :)

Bought a 2019 4h with 9k on the clock 10 days ago. Thought the EV range would be around 30 miles but only getting 16 to 20 miles when driving very sedately. Is this normal? Weather has been 4 to 8 degrees Celsius.

RACV said:
Bought a 2019 4h with 9k on the clock 10 days ago. Thought the EV range would be around 30 miles but only getting 16 to 20 miles when driving very sedately. Is this normal? Weather has been 4 to 8 degrees Celsius.

Mine is the same, MY19 owned it for three weeks, have already discovered that it shows a range of 20 to 21 miles when the heater and air con is on. Turn them off and it goes up to 27 or 28.

Range will increase significantly when the temp gets into the teens. I've had my '18 for almost 2 years/95k km., and see a 25% variation between summer and winter range here in SW BC, Canada where winters are from 0 to -15C, and summers are 15 to 30C.

It's the same with all EVs unless they have an active heater for the battery pack. The pack simply can't release as much energy when it's cold. Our Zoe shows the same 25% drop at this time of year unless you cane it before charging to warm the battery and don't let it cool down too much before setting off.

ThudnBlundr said:
It's the same with all EVs unless they have an active heater for the battery pack. The pack simply can't release as much energy when it's cold. Our Zoe shows the same 25% drop at this time of year unless you cane it before charging to warm the battery and don't let it cool down too much before setting off.

Which I seem to remember is fitted to Scandinavian models?

It will also reduce when the BMU carries out its regular reduction of battery capacity, Search for threads about BMU issues to get more information.

BCbackroader said:
Range will increase significantly when the temp gets into the teens. I've had my '18 for almost 2 years/95k km., and see a 25% variation between summer and winter range here in SW BC, Canada where winters are from 0 to -15C, and summers are 15 to 30C.
Thanks for responses- I did a 30 mile round trip yesterday, temp 12C, turned heater off, coasted down the hills on B0, used B3 elsewhere, didn't exceed 50mph speed limit and did 28 miles on electric power from full charge

littlescrote said:
RACV said:
coasted down the hills on B0

you mean accelerated down the hills :shock:

I think that's unnecessarily pedantic. "Coasting" is generally understood (in the absence of a technical definition) as travelling without on board propulsion. On the flat or uphill that will be decelerating whilst on the downhill it will be accelerating unless a very shallow decline. And, of course, as very few changes in altitude on roads are at a constant gradient there are likely to be stretches of both acceleration and deceleration with no additional energy input - so still "coasting". IMHO :ugeek:

greendwarf said:
littlescrote said:
RACV said:
coasted down the hills on B0

you mean accelerated down the hills :shock:

so still "coasting". IMHO

Thanks guys, pendantry and not always welcome. Did 29 miles on electric power today, 13C, no heating on. Fairy (original meaning) touch on the throttle and as little foot braking as poss.

Back