Gas Use

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattrosencrans

I purchased a Outlander Phev a little more than 2 weeks ago and so far am very dissapointed with Gas usage. I started with a full tank of gas from the dealer and expected not to fill up my gas tank for quite a while. But after 335 miles I had to put in almost 10 gallons of gas. So essentially I ended up getting 35 miles to the gallon of gas. I have used the car predominantly for small trips around town and and have recharged almost every day - using less than 20 miles on every day but one. About half the time I pressed the EV button when I started the trip. Had hoped to only use gas on days when I went over 22 miles or only when I need the gas assist. Was this to be expected and I just did not do my homework or is there a way that I can use predominatly electic.

I've had mine for just over a month now and done around 750 miles. Most of the journeys are short ones, 5 miles or so with two a week of 27 miles. I have put 37Ltrs in the tank. The only thing I do is put it into B mode and usualy leave it on B3, let the car do it's own thing.

35mpg is on the low side for modes involving the ICE, but you should be able to go 20 miles on electric without the ICE kicking in.

Unless you have SAVE or CHRG on, or have an early model that gets aircon and heating from the ICE, or are flooring the accelerator so that the ECO dial goes past 12 o'clock.

michael8554 said:
35mpg is on the low side for modes involving the ICE, but you should be able to go 20 miles on electric without the ICE kicking in.

Unless you have an early model that gets aircon and heating from the ICE.

Surely you mean the other way round? Current models use the battery for heating, so that will lower your EV range. (Aircon has always been from the battery.) 35mpg (UK measures) is actually normal.

I suspect that the OP uses the accelerator as an on-off switch. Even with a full battery, having a full power- full braking style of driving will push the fuel consumption up dramatically. After all, 2000 kg will generate - and consume- a good amount of kinetic energy.

On the assumption that the OP is in North America (ref: "gas"), if he hasn't got the hang of pre-heating yet, then he will be draining the battery to warm up the car, if he is in a very cold area - especially if he forces EV using the button?

And assuming the op is in North America, a gallon is much smaller, so 35mpg is better than you might think.

Back