Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Increasing/Upgrading - Higher Battery Capacity
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am 

Got a latest PHEV (2.4ltr - 13.4kWh) few months ago and loving it.
I tend to keep my motors at least 15 years, usually buy them near new and run them till they literally fall apart.

So just thinking long term if there will be solutions that increases the battery capacity - Ideally if I can get 100 miles per charge that will be brilliant as that will cover 95% of all our trips.

Has anyone here/heard of anyone doing such an upgrade already ?

As battery cell energy density increases, I'm hoping someone will come up with a 'replacement' battery pack that is a straight forward plug-n-play for PHEV's current battery pack but offers something like double the current capacity or even more. Or even Mitsubishi will make their next gen PHEV battery pack compatible with older PHEV models (...most likely they won't even if they can I guess...)

PHEV has a full 4-wheel electric drive train, so hopefully will be able to just replace the battery packs every 10 yrs and keep driving it like pure EV for another 15-30yrs (assuming rest of the car stays in one piece......has good build quality)

Post subject: Re: Increasing/Upgrading - Higher Battery Capacity
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:11 am 

It's a nice thought, but I can't see it happening. Even such a simple thing as the battery capacity display on the dash will be wrong if the capacity is increased unless the Battery Management Unit is altered accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:33 am 

For 100 miles, you'd need a battery 4-5 times the size. In 6 years, Mitsubishi have managed to squeeze in an extra 18%. Plus you'd need to update the charging capabilities, or that would also take 4-5 times as long

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 am 

'vtechtuning' had a go at upgrading the cells but no idea of the eventual outcome. Must be a thread on here about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:03 am 

kompkar wrote:
Got a latest PHEV (2.4ltr - 13.4kWh) few months ago and loving it.
I tend to keep my motors at least 15 years, usually buy them near new and run them till they literally fall apart.

So just thinking long term if there will be solutions that increases the battery capacity - Ideally if I can get 100 miles per charge that will be brilliant as that will cover 95% of all our trips.

Has anyone here/heard of anyone doing such an upgrade already ?

As battery cell energy density increases, I'm hoping someone will come up with a 'replacement' battery pack that is a straight forward plug-n-play for PHEV's current battery pack but offers something like double the current capacity or even more. Or even Mitsubishi will make their next gen PHEV battery pack compatible with older PHEV models (...most likely they won't even if they can I guess...)

PHEV has a full 4-wheel electric drive train, so hopefully will be able to just replace the battery packs every 10 yrs and keep driving it like pure EV for another 15-30yrs (assuming rest of the car stays in one piece......has good build quality)