Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parking Brake Adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 am 

So after replacing my rear brake discs and pads, i found the handbrake was barely holding. I adjusted the nut by the handbrake lever and got some hold back, however I was concerned as when releasing it the car was moving asymmetrically. True enough, when I got the wheels off the ground, the rear passengers side wheel wasnt holding dead like the drivers side. The car has been in for the parking brake recall and both parking brake levers have 'G' stamped near the nut which suggests they were actually changed over.

Does the caliper itself have any method of adjustment? On old cars I'm used to poking a flat head screw driver through the adjustment hole in the disc and adjusting the caliper that way, but the Outlander doesn't seem to have anything to adjust. Reluctant to take it back to the main dealers as they charge a fortune - the car is a 2014 so out of warranty.

Post subject: Re: Parking Brake Adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:33 am 

Location: Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear light lenses.
Well if the calipers were replaced recently as recall, the dealer shouldn't charge anything to make them work properly, as they should have done that in the first place. Especially as the recall is to solve any chance of the handbrake not working - I'd take it straight back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm 

Sorry, I should have said - the brake recall was done around a year ago and the handbrake was working fine on both wheels prior to me replacing discs and pads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm 

markhals wrote:
So after replacing my rear brake discs and pads, i found the handbrake was barely holding. I adjusted the nut by the handbrake lever and got some hold back, however I was concerned as when releasing it the car was moving asymmetrically. True enough, when I got the wheels off the ground, the rear passengers side wheel wasnt holding dead like the drivers side. The car has been in for the parking brake recall and both parking brake levers have 'G' stamped near the nut which suggests they were actually changed over.

Does the caliper itself have any method of adjustment? On old cars I'm used to poking a flat head screw driver through the adjustment hole in the disc and adjusting the caliper that way, but the Outlander doesn't seem to have anything to adjust. Reluctant to take it back to the main dealers as they charge a fortune - the car is a 2014 so out of warranty.

I would try removing the pads again.
Totally release handbrake adjuster nut on lever.
Then wind both pistons back all the way and align the pin with the slots.
Refit pads.
Pump pedal firmly at least 10 times to reseat pads.
Now try operating handbrake. Do not pull up until pads have been reseated
Then try adjusting again.

The gap between the levers on the calipers and the stops should be equal both sides. There will be a gap with the handbrake fully off, they never return all the way to the stops

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 pm 

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:
markhals wrote:

I would try removing the pads again.
Totally release handbrake adjuster nut on lever.
Then wind both pistons back all the way and align the pin with the slots.
Refit pads.
Pump pedal firmly at least 10 times to reseat pads.
Now try operating handbrake. Do not pull up until pads have been reseated
Then try adjusting again.

The gap between the levers on the calipers and the stops should be equal both sides. There will be a gap with the handbrake fully off, they never return all the way to the stops

Thanks buddy, will give it a go. The job has been made slightly trickier by me stripping the adjusting nut on the lever :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:43 am 

I suspect that your replacement caliper has also suffered from the same issue as the pre-recall ones, ie corrosion of the parking brake actuation shaft. My MY16 which is post the recall date has the same issue. Yours has started happening after changing pads as you've moved to the more recently unused part of the shaft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:40 am 

Did you manage to get yours replaced again under warranty? I suspect if I ask them to do it as part of the recall again they'll tell me to do one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:39 am 

I had a goodwill offer, but it was still more expensive than it would be to just do myself. I decided to just live with it and if I have to free it off now and again with a bit of penetrating fluid and a plastic mallet then I'll do that (particularly around MOT time). I now make a concerted effort to use the parking brake to exercise it, whereas before I'd just switch off and let the transmission brake do its thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:15 pm 

What are you using the mallet on :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 am 

the lever that is actuated by the parking brake cable that should spring back - you have to work it backwards and forwards to free up the shaft. it's really not anything to pop your eyes out at.