out of gas and can't open lid....help!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barton

My wife has the phev out on a longer drive and is at a gas station but unable to open gas lid. the screen says "refueling system service required"
Does anyone know how to open that gas lid in order to fill it up?

Turning the car off and then turning it on in accessory mode (push start button without pressing the brake pedal) might help.

Hopefully your wife has made it home!

According to my Owner's Manual, "Fuel System Service Required" entails a visit to a Mitsu dealer - very helpful.

But chafed wiring is a common cause of this message on other Mitsu vehicles.

Artleknock said:
If it's the same as mine there is a lever by your right foot in the footwell, if you are a mercin. the left foot.

Mercin?? Beats me. But I guess he means on Left Hand Drive models.

The position of this lever caught me out on my first refuelling, but the Owner's Manual index "Fuel - Filling the fuel tank" spelled it out.
I now leave the Manual in the car as there are Sooo many unintuitive foibles in the PHEV.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in.... still no answer though. Required a 100km tow to the nearest Mitsubishi dealer...and they couldn’t figure it out ( yet). Hopefully on Monday they have someone in that can figure out how to open the gas lid. And FYI: we’ve had the car for 20 months. 40k km on it. Filled it many times without a problem. Anyway, kinda rough to not be able to fill your tank! I’ll update when the dealership lets us know what the problem is.

Ah, you didn't say that the release lever didn't work, sent us on a bit of a goose chase.......

Too late now, but I would guess that removing the inside trim on that side would give you access to the release mechanism.

I seem to recall that newer cars have a locked petrol flap rather than the original simple cable release - that's progress for you :roll:

The solution is very simple. Open the lid on the inside at the bagage section. Put your hand in it and pull the white handle backwards. The lid on the outside will open.
Good Luck

Back