cannot connect phone app

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipaldi

Hi All,
Trying to connect my android S9 to a MY19 and keep getting the error 2021 message. Any ideas anyone?

I have the car in accessory mode, door closed, keyfob 10 times, hear the bleep, select the remote vehicle on my phone, hit the password. Error 2021. Tried it a few times both at home and away from home in case my wifi was interfering.

Thanks for that,
What would "vehicle out of range" mean? Does it have to be near my home wifi?

I did notice there were other phones previously connected to my vehicle so I deleted them all except one as I was not sure what it was. Maybe I should delete that too and try again with just my own phone showing on the screen?

sipaldi said:
I did notice there were other phones previously connected to my vehicle so I deleted them

I don't think you can actually see which phones are registered with the Wi-Fi, just the Bluetooth ones in MMCS as far as I know.

When you do the key fob thing how many beeps do you hear?
It should be one long beep to confirm that the system is in the registration mode and then short beeps to count the connected devices; NB: it only supports 2 devices.
If you want to remove all previously registered devices you do the shut doors, go into accessory mode and then do the key fob on/off thing 20 times.

I think 'Vehicle out of range' just means you are not close enough to the Wi-Fi device in the car which is in one of the rear pillars.
Should be OK if you are in the drivers seat !

Thanks Nibbo, yes I probably just deleted the previous bluetooth connections.

I just hear one short beep?

I will try the keyfob 20 times then and start over.

Thank you

One beep means it is in the correct mode to register a new device and there are no other devices currently registered so you should be good to go.
You have to be fairly quick as I think there is a 10 second activation window from accessory mode to completion.

One last thing to check; have you definitely got the correct (latest) version of the app?
There are 3 but this is the latest one [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inventec.iMobile2 ].
I think the other 2 versions have been dropped by the Play Store now.

The only other possibility is that the password is no longer valid; this happens when they applied a security patch but being an MY19 that should not apply.
I used the MMC online enquiry form to get a copy of my SSID and password which they emailed straight back to me so may be worth trying that also if all else fails.

Thanks again Nibbo,
Yes I have the correct app.

I think I am taking longer than 10 seconds to enter the password for sure. Maybe thats it then?

Mine is a 2.4 68 plate, December, so I assume its an MY19?

Tried all I can think of now, no joy. Cars going to the dealers tomorrow to have the window fault looked at, I will ask them if they can connect it.

Turns out the vehicle had to have a new passcode plus my android S9 did not have the "device visible" setting on. Took around an hour to figure it out at the dealers.

Thanks for the input folks.

sipaldi said:
Turns out the vehicle had to have a new passcode

Very surprised at that; an MY19 should have been on the latest security patched version!
Glad its working; now you can share your 'how bad is the app' experiences :lol:

Nibbo said:
The only other possibility is that the password is no longer valid; this happens when they applied a security patch but being an MY19 that should not apply.
I used the MMC online enquiry form to get a copy of my SSID and password which they emailed straight back to me so may be worth trying that also if all else fails.
Any idea why the password would no longer be valid. I'm in pairing mode (with no following beeps so assume no other devices are registered), but cannot successfully connect WiFi so I'm wondering if this is could be the cause.

Any link to the online MMC enquiry form? Or is it a dealer visit?

Thanks

The password changes when they install the latest security patches, they should have told you the new one, I received a printout with it on.

MMC can be contacted here >> https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/company/contact-us#anchor

FYI mine has never worked since the security upgrade using the latest version of the app and new password.

02/11/2020 again the app has decided it cannot communicate with the vehicle. Rather poor if you ask me. Its due for a service so I will let the experts check it out again.

Nibbo said:
The password changes when they install the latest security patches, they should have told you the new one, I received a printout with it on.

MMC can be contacted here >> https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/company/contact-us#anchor

FYI mine has never worked since the security upgrade using the latest version of the app and new password.

Thanks for the link, and the advice, even if a little discouraging! I'm at my local dealer this week so will see get some good will help there.

Just to confirm resolution for *my* issue - have sorted with a dealer trip. Software *had* been updated, and had a totally new password, which was not in the manual!

A friendly technician game me the correct password, and I then connected successfully at home. All working great now.

I recently emailed my service department to get them to confirm the new password as mine did not seem to work.
I was told that "sometimes they don't always work" and "another reset would be needed" :eek:
Another trip to the dealers who are quite a long away and in the wrong direction for me.

Cold frozen car days ahead.. :( .

Hello I have the same problem, getting the “unable to connect “ message on my phone. There was no problem when I first bought the car (66 plate), but after a longish period of not using the app and a new phone, I can no longer connect. I have de-registered any previous phones and followed the advice given on the forum. Is it likely that the password has been changed when the car was serviced?

I contacted the dealer - they want £99 to look into the problem! I don’t think it’s that big an issue..

The most common reason for the being unable to connect, is that the device switches to another known connection during the setup procedure.

There are two ways around this:

1. Remove existing known connection points and turn off any 'auto connect' settings.
2. Take the car somewhere else, and do the setup there. (i.e. go somewhere that your device won't connect to a wifi mid procedure)

Back