Increasing/Upgrading - Higher Battery Capacity

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kompkar

Got a latest PHEV (2.4ltr - 13.4kWh) few months ago and loving it.
I tend to keep my motors at least 15 years, usually buy them near new and run them till they literally fall apart.

So just thinking long term if there will be solutions that increases the battery capacity - Ideally if I can get 100 miles per charge that will be brilliant as that will cover 95% of all our trips.

Has anyone here/heard of anyone doing such an upgrade already ?

As battery cell energy density increases, I'm hoping someone will come up with a 'replacement' battery pack that is a straight forward plug-n-play for PHEV's current battery pack but offers something like double the current capacity or even more. Or even Mitsubishi will make their next gen PHEV battery pack compatible with older PHEV models (...most likely they won't even if they can I guess...)

PHEV has a full 4-wheel electric drive train, so hopefully will be able to just replace the battery packs every 10 yrs and keep driving it like pure EV for another 15-30yrs (assuming rest of the car stays in one piece......has good build quality)

It's a nice thought, but I can't see it happening. Even such a simple thing as the battery capacity display on the dash will be wrong if the capacity is increased unless the Battery Management Unit is altered accordingly.

For 100 miles, you'd need a battery 4-5 times the size. In 6 years, Mitsubishi have managed to squeeze in an extra 18%. Plus you'd need to update the charging capabilities, or that would also take 4-5 times as long

'vtechtuning' had a go at upgrading the cells but no idea of the eventual outcome. Must be a thread on here about it.

kompkar said:
Got a latest PHEV (2.4ltr - 13.4kWh) few months ago and loving it.
I tend to keep my motors at least 15 years, usually buy them near new and run them till they literally fall apart.

So just thinking long term if there will be solutions that increases the battery capacity - Ideally if I can get 100 miles per charge that will be brilliant as that will cover 95% of all our trips.

Has anyone here/heard of anyone doing such an upgrade already ?

As battery cell energy density increases, I'm hoping someone will come up with a 'replacement' battery pack that is a straight forward plug-n-play for PHEV's current battery pack but offers something like double the current capacity or even more. Or even Mitsubishi will make their next gen PHEV battery pack compatible with older PHEV models (...most likely they won't even if they can I guess...)

PHEV has a full 4-wheel electric drive train, so hopefully will be able to just replace the battery packs every 10 yrs and keep driving it like pure EV for another 15-30yrs (assuming rest of the car stays in one piece......has good build quality)

It would help if there is government legislation supporting that all manufacturers should make battery modules plug-n-play, open source their BMS software(at least certain elements of it so 3rd party batteries can be made compatible).............feels like long way to go !

I was checking out on eBay some Outlander PHEV 12kWh batteries - on sale in UK from as low as 1500 GBP.
Those units looks enormous......I'm so surprised that just a large unit has only capacity of 12-13kWh.
It must be possible I hope to use Tesla type cylindrical battery cell modules to fit within the Outlander PHEV Battery enclosure and get double current capacity.
I don't mind longer charging cycles as I only charge at home and currently my 13.8 kWh battery takes approx 4.5hrs to charge - so even with double I will be looking at 9-10hrs max. and that will be fine to accommodate on most evenings for us.

It feels like there is a huge scope of new businesses and business models to be build around EV industry, looking forward to new start ups providing such services to EV's in the market place.

Bear in mind the cost of extra capacity. The new EV Mustang in standard configuration delivers just under 300 miles per charge. If you want another 90 miles with the extended capacity version it adds £10k to the price! :eek:

greendwarf said:
Bear in mind the cost of extra capacity. The new EV Mustang in standard configuration delivers just under 300 miles per charge. If you want another 90 miles with the extended capacity version it adds £10k to the price! :eek:

but not necessarily £10k to the cost ;-)

If you upgrade the battery is not necessary to double the time , if you use fast charger the speed depending the size off the battery, the time can be the same like before ( when you use fast charger)

Just a short post to say I’m also interested in upgrading the battery. I live in Ireland. A local company (Range Therapy)has started offering battery upgrade for Leaf and they plan to offer Outlander upgrades in future but no info yet.

I heard a rumour that the recent upgrade from 12 to 13.2 was not really a battery hardware change. They just altered the software to allow you to use a bit more.

Fjpod said:
I heard a rumour that the recent upgrade from 12 to 13.2 was not really a battery hardware change. They just altered the software to allow you to use a bit more.

You heard a rumour, or you're starting a rumour? :D

and then you enter the age old conundrum
Bigger battery for more range = more weight = less range= need more battery =more weight and around and around you go
I'm not buying another car until they go nuclear !

Well i said rumour, because it was told to me by my Mitsubishi salesman... Who is not the most technologically capable person I've ever met.

It might be true. It might be false. I was hoping someone had more than just anecdotal statements.

Would that be the same salesman who told me that I could charge the battery in my key fob by putting it in the slot? :roll: :lol: ;) I really think that most of them don't have a clue...

hermitdave said:
Maybe this will clear any misunderstanding

Question though is 13.8 kWh compatible without any CAN tweaks?

From what year car was this taken?

ThudnBlundr said:
Would that be the same salesman who told me that I could charge the battery in my key fob by putting it in the slot? :roll: :lol: ;) I really think that most of them don't have a clue...

It would be the same salesman that told me the Phone app would work while my train was 10 or 15 minutes from my station where my car was parked. Meanwhile, it won't work from my kitchen to my garage 20 feet away.

Back